Manilla, Philippines Pre health Prereqs for US Med School transferability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palitovibes

Reaction score
Good afternoon, new here. My apologies if this was answered elsewhere. Do you know of anyone who has transferred prereqs from an accredited Manilla university into a US Med school?

Bottom line is, I need to finish some prereqs and am entertaining the idea of moving to Manila Phillipines so that my dollar goes further and I can focus 100% on school. Goal is to come back to US and apply for Med school. The med school I’m looking at, UWSOM, does have in their admissions page they accept international prereqs as long as they are accredited by a third party who verifies courses.

Reading on AMCAS im basically SOL. UWSOM does say they will accept them as long as they are verified. Now I’m lost in the sauce. My logic says I won’t have a GPA on AMCAS and my chances for interviewing will be even more complicated and competitive as I imagine the med school will require their own verification should they want to interview me. Not sure if this is correct thinking. Thanks in advance. Also, why can’t this thing be easier?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You must contact the admissions office directly. They should have someone who can walk you through what you need to do with your evaluated transcript. Now all/most medical schools won't consider coursework from non-US programs as fulfilling requirements so I want to be sure you are getting correct advice. Whether your courses could be transferred to an undergraduate institution will depend on their academic policies, and you may need to take tests for the credit.

Reactions: 1 user
You must contact the admissions office directly. They should have someone who can walk you through what you need to do with your evaluated transcript. Now all/most medical schools won't consider coursework from non-US programs as fulfilling requirements so I want to be sure you are getting correct advice. Whether your courses could be transferred to an undergraduate institution will depend on their academic policies, and you may need to take tests for the credit.
Good morning, I am waiting for the Med school's admission team to get back to me. I'm genuinely confused because some med schools state they do accept international credits but AMCAS does not. No wonder we have a shortage of physicians...

Don't do this. I can tell you I would automatically disqualify any applicant that didn't do his prerequisites in the US. This rule you mention makes sense if you were studying in Canada or England. Philippines, rightly or wrongly, isn't known for academic prowess or top research universities. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 users