Malpractice Cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nard_Dog

Reaction score
Does anyone know any resources to read pod malpractice cases? Specifically by state? I find them pretty fascinating reads and haven’t been able to find any good resources myself

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know any resources to read pod malpractice cases? Specifically by state? I find them pretty fascinating reads and haven’t been able to find any good resources myself
Good question. No idea but I would be interested to. I have come across some cases through residency and from other colleagues. It is really ridiculous what surgeons can get sued for. Literally anything...whether it is legitimate or not. It is big business for lawyers. Some regional areas are worse than others.

I read somewhere that 15% of practicing orthopedic surgeons get sued annually. I hate to say it but I bet podiatrists get sued even more frequently since there is extreme bias against the profession.

@Feli mentioned this before. But if you get sued you really have no say in the matter when going through the cases with your mal practice lawyer. Even if you had the best intentions and did not do anything wrong. If there is anything remotely wrong with your case or a chink in the armor then your mal-practice insurance will settle with the patient and you can't do anything about it unless you want to get another lawyer on your dime.

Reactions: 1 user
Most states will list disciplinary actions on the state board site, but that’s not a list of malpractice cases.

There is a way to obtain the information you want, but this will require paying a subscription fee to legal sites. If you have any friends who are lawyers, they likely already subscribe to these types of sites to access full court records, etc. p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're into the horror genre, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Most states will list disciplinary actions on the state board site, but that’s not a list of malpractice cases.

There is a way to obtain the information you want, but this will require paying a subscription fee to legal sites. If you have any friends who are lawyers, they likely already subscribe to these types of sites to access full court records, etc. p
Yeah, I was going to post the same thing... ExpDPM is spot on. You can see disciplinary actions at most board websites or from google, but that is usually other complaints, legal troubles, etc.

I looked up one doc who I was looking into buying out down in NC a few years ago, and he had a probation from the state board for not showing up to a ASC surgery (at all), patient was upset they had to reschedule, made complaint, etc. They are usually not surgery or malpractice things for the state board... just things like legit patient complaints of poor treatment, ridiculous overbilling, hospital discipline/revoke stuff like sexual harassment, minor criminal DUI or drug or domestic things, etc.

...The malpractice judgments are typically confidential (at least the details). Attorneys can usually search them, but they mostly just get the claim and results. That is confidentiality is normally part of the settlement... no admit of wrongdoing, no potential for further litigation on the case, confidential, etc...

settle confid.jpg

It's like how you'll never know if Travis Kelce's kickin it with Tay Tay... or if Timberlake dumped Britney Spears vs she ditched him. Life's mysteries.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user