M4 graduating off-cycle_views and opinions in regards to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhopeful26

Reaction score
Dear All,

Hope all is well!

I am a current M4 who likely be applying to an internal medicine residency in this upcoming ERAS cycle (2020-2021) and am hoping to attend a Top 10 residency program. I am still considering radiology or urology but am likely leaning toward IM. My situation is untraditional in that I will be graduating off cycle in December 2020 due to a medical leave of absence during my 3rd year of medical school. I know that as a December graduate, I will still be considered a US senior, but I am wondering how programs will view me being off-cycle and finishing in December?

Also, is there anything that I can do during the free time that I have from Dec-June 2021 that could help bolster me as a candidate? I was considering doing research but was also looking for other options to help keep my clinical skills uptodate and ready for residency.
Any input or suggestions would be appreciated!

Stats:
AOA, GHS, Step 1 250+, Step 2CK 260+, 5 publications (1 first author, rest middle author)

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ve always under the impression that off cycle applicants are at a disadvantage.

edit: I cannot read good.

Good luck op

Dear All,

Hope all is well!

I am a current M4 who likely be applying to an internal medicine residency in this upcoming ERAS cycle (2020-2021) and am hoping to attend a Top 10 residency program. I am still considering radiology or urology but am likely leaning toward IM. My situation is untraditional in that I will be graduating off cycle in December 2020 due to a medical leave of absence during my 3rd year of medical school. I know that as a December graduate, I will still be considered a US senior, but I am wondering how programs will view me being off-cycle and finishing in December?

Also, is there anything that I can do during the free time that I have from Dec-June 2021 that could help bolster me as a candidate? I was considering doing research but was also looking for other options to help keep my clinical skills uptodate and ready for residency.

Stats:
AOA, GHS, Step 1 250+, Step 2CK 260+, 5 publications (1 first author, rest middle author)

I doubt anyone will care. You'll still be a US senior when you apply in September. They will require you to write on your application some details of your leave of absence - that will be the bigger potential problem.

That is, if you write "I had to take a leave of absence due to a personal health issue that has been addressed and per my physicians is unlikely to reoccur in the future" - no one will care. If you write "I had to take a leave of absence due to having to undergo rehab for my alcoholism after my DUI", yeah... it might be an issue.

There's not really anything you will do December ot bolster you as a candidate - that's all after applying. You can try to find some local job just to earn some money or do some research. You aren't really qualified for any non-residency clinical work as a fresh graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated off cycle this year (December 2019) and matched into an IM program. My situation was also unique. I delayed graduation as I originally applied to psych but after a few interviews realized it wasn't for me, talked to ppl from my school and they said I could delay graduation, take a few rotations, figure out what I want to do, then apply next cycle which I did. I also had a part time research job that I had for a year (from April 2019-March 2020) which I put on my application.

IMO, being off cycle will not put you at a disadvantage. I had around 15 II, attended 10 interviews, and matched at a program in southern CA which was my dream so I was very happy. As long as it is well explained somewhere in your personal statement or application then you will be fine. Your stats are amazing and way better than mine so you will be fine.

I would recommend trying to obtain some type of research position now that you can continue for the next year just so you can say you are still doing something when you interview in the fall and winter.

PM me if you have more questions.

Dear All,

Hope all is well!

Stats:

You're going to be fine. Just do minor prep for interviews when the question inevitably comes up and be honest and open about why you had to take time off. Programs won't care... unless your medical illness is not under control. In terms of latter half of the year, do research only if you're interested. Otherwise, enjoy some time off. No need to read or hone clinical skills before residency. That's what intern year is for.