Luminello shutting down. Alternatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the downsides of Valant? They have a prospective patient form and looks like they have a lot of good features.

Anyway know if simple practice or charm has a prospective patient form? I'm getting anxiety trying to decide on which EHR to select.

I didn't deal with the billing side at all, but the notes (at least in our build) involved a lot of sections which I ended spending a lot of time flipping back and forth between. Valant had a lot of built in templating/form type documentation, which was okay if you liked it, but I ended up free texting a lot because it didn't address what I care about recording. Prescribing function was pretty straightforward without a ton of clicks required. Our build did not have a patient messaging, but it was possible to send a reasonable range of rating scales. It was middle of the road I would say, not the worst thing I have used, but not something I would buy for my own practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'm going to go with PracticeQ for now. I have done their free trial and like the features and degree of customization, they offer. They have dozens of psychiatric scales. They allow patients to self-register on the portal and then you can approve them for an appointment. That basically fulfills the same function as the pre-screening form on Luminello. I only have 6 patients in my practice so it's hard to justify something more expensive.

I was pretty close to going with RXNT I think PracticeQ provides more value for the price point. CureMD is beautiful, an absolute dream of an EMR program, loved everything about it. The team can program it to do virtually anything you want. I couldn't justify the 1k in setup cost and the $400+/month payment for using the software.

I have an Osmind demo today and will report back. I can't schedule a demo with Dr. Chrono and Charm and their customer service doesn't seem great (if it exists at all).

I would much rather just have a blank notepad for my note. Why the different sections if they don't pull into any other parts of the note or chart?

So far, my favorites are PracticeQ, AdvancedMD, RxNT. I'll probably switch to PracticeQ unless SP is better.
I really like the features of RxNT, particularly the fact that they have an Android app for providers. I detest iPhones and there are many EHRs with an iPhone app but for some reason, they do not develop an Android app. I'm turned off by companies that only develop an iPhone app. It's a non-starter for me. They should develop an app for both Android and iPhones or not develop one at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
For SP, can anyone tell me: (1) do we need to predetermine the service -- and stick to that -- when creating an appointment? (2) I use a biller; do I need to enter all the patients' billing/insurance info? (3) Can patients schedule their own appointments?

Thanks. I'm finally getting my head out of the sand and trying to make a decision. For me it's probably down to just going w/ SP v. using Charm

Anyone has been using "therapynotes" EMR? Thoughts?

The google reviews sound too good to be true (4.9 start- 801 reviews).

Anyone has been using "therapynotes" EMR? Thoughts?

The google reviews sound too good to be true (4.9 start- 801 reviews).
I use it for my solo practice. I have been pleased with the product overall and think it offers a good value for the price. Notes are most text based with a couple semi-structured components (vital signs, risk assessment, meds). I don't love their note format, they break it up differently than I would and don't have a full free text option, but not hard to work around. I just set up my note format and then copy forward and revise components as needed. Eprescribe works reasonably well. They just added portal messaging with patients and their portal works well. Billing and credit card are easy to use. It seems like they are regularly upgrading and adding features and when they roll something out it works well. They have live phone support that is available, responsive, and genuinely helpful. They are also responsive by email.

Downsides include that eprescribe is in a separate tab from the note, you cannot directly import meds into the note, no lab integration or lab orders, they have a hard stop so you have to use their semi-structured risk assessment or click a check box that says no areas of risk reported (you can work around it, I just would like to be able to skip it altogether because I don't like their assessment options).

For what it's worth I feel a vague sense of collegiality and warmth towards TherapyNotes as an organization. It feels like they are genuinely trying to help me do my work and provide a useful product, which is not my typical EHR experience.

I use it for my solo practice. I have been pleased with the product overall and think it offers a good value for the price. Notes are most text based with a couple semi-structured components (vital signs, risk assessment, meds). I don't love their note format, they break it up differently than I would and don't have a full free text option, but not hard to work around. I just set up my note format and then copy forward and revise components as needed. Eprescribe works reasonably well. They just added portal messaging with patients and their portal works well. Billing and credit card are easy to use. It seems like they are regularly upgrading and adding features and when they roll something out it works well. They have live phone support that is available, responsive, and genuinely helpful. They are also responsive by email.

Downsides include that eprescribe is in a separate tab from the note, you cannot directly import meds into the note, no lab integration or lab orders, they have a hard stop so you have to use their semi-structured risk assessment or click a check box that says no areas of risk reported (you can work around it, I just would like to be able to skip it altogether because I don't like their assessment options).

For what it's worth I feel a vague sense of collegiality and warmth towards TherapyNotes as an organization. It feels like they are genuinely trying to help me do my work and provide a useful product, which is not my typical EHR experience.
That’s lovely!

FWIW, I feel similarly toward Sessions, which I’ve been using for almost a month — they seem genuine and their vibe seems almost suspiciously earnest (and I’m surprised at how much that’s affected my overall experience with the platform).

That’s lovely!

FWIW, I feel similarly toward Sessions, which I’ve been using for almost a month — they seem genuine and their vibe seems almost suspiciously earnest (and I’m surprised at how much that’s affected my overall experience with the platform).
Yeah I think that's what you get with companies that are <5 years old and also a small team. They seem great.

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously though, when is this Change Healthcare outage going to change? All I can find is places saying that they expect to be back online by March 18. 30+ days is a long time to be going without money.

Seriously though, when is this Change Healthcare outage going to change? All I can find is places saying that they expect to be back online by March 18. 30+ days is a long time to be going without money.

never have I been happier to be low tech...our biller seems to be able to submit stuff still

It's very frustrating because luminello's billing was working, but Osmind's isn't.
That's good to know. I went with PracticeQ but I'm not at all impressed with the templates. Does Osmind really allow one to chart in minutes as their website claims?

That's good to know. I went with PracticeQ but I'm not at all impressed with the templates. Does Osmind really allow one to chart in minutes as their website claims?
You have to edit the templates to your liking or make new ones. Once this work is done charting is a breeze because you have a note that’s optimally formatted to your charting style and billing needs. I spend 1-3 min charting for a 30 min follow up and ~10 min for intakes

PracticeQ has a bunch of tutorials on how to do this or you could schedule a call to help walk you through this (highly recommend)

I wasn’t immediately sold on PracticeQ but once everything was fully set up I became a convert

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely finish nearly all of my charts during the session and for people who prefer I don't touch the computer in the session - those are still under 5 minutes for follow-ups, including sending meds and finalizing billing.

If the claim submission worked, I'd be satisfied with Osmind. The other quirks I can tolerate / have a workaround for. Osmind does say they will pay for a ClaimMD account. If the system is only down for less than a month, I don't think it's worth the hassle of setting up a workaround like that. Idk.

The lovely thing about Osmind is that Textexpander is incorporated into it so you can design arbitrarily formatted notes, more or less. Just open up one of the note types that has a big ol' text box, type in your dot phrase, and boom, there's your formatted blank note however you like it. Textexpander has broad functionality in this regard including being able to pull from the system time to autopopulate start/end times and dates etc.

The lovely thing about Osmind is that Textexpander is incorporated into it so you can design arbitrarily formatted notes, more or less. Just open up one of the note types that has a big ol' text box, type in your dot phrase, and boom, there's your formatted blank note however you like it. Textexpander has broad functionality in this regard including being able to pull from the system time to autopopulate start/end times and dates etc.
It’s not actually incorporated, though, they just include a textexpander account with your osmind subscription. That was one of my annoyances with osmind — in order for it to be actually useful, you have to use other products/services. You can get your own textexpander account for something like $4/month and have all that functionality in any EHR (even without an EHR — if you’re oldschool and just have a bunch of word documents or something).

It’s not actually incorporated, though, they just include a textexpander account with your osmind subscription. That was one of my annoyances with osmind — in order for it to be actually useful, you have to use other products/services. You can get your own textexpander account for something like $4/month and have all that functionality in any EHR (even without an EHR — if you’re oldschool and just have a bunch of word documents or something).

Fair, I was not precise enough - incorporated in the sense that it comes pre-loaded with a bunch of reasonably useful snippets and bundled with it. I get in principle objecting to using other software in conjunction with it but it's just a chrome extension and so low-impact.

Does the MSE have check boxes? I used a system that used check boxes for the MSE and it was so quick to do, and easy to modify if something was abnormal.

I just don't know what to do. I will probably stick with PracticeQ for now. I had just started my practice and signed up with Luminello about a week before they shut down. I have 6 patients. I want to go the practice but I don't want to take on more patients until I've found the right EMR, so essentially this issue is keeping me from growing my practice. I need to find the right system that I can be with long-term before I take on more patients because switching systems and importing patient information is a pain. I'm sure it's inconvenient with the patients, too.

I only have until May 23 to make a decision. I didn't care for SimplePractice, for many of the reasons already mentioned in the thread. Also, the initial and follow-up notes are geared toward therapists, not psychiatry, which turned me off to their product. Similarly, I did not find any intakes/follow-up notes on Charm geared specifically toward psychiatry, they seemed designed more for therapists. I don't want to spend a lot of time making a template. I was not too fond of Valant because of the massive amount of tabs one has to sort through during a note. That stood out to me immediately and I was like "nope, not for me." Similarly,

Has anyone tried Alleva? It is designed for MH and looks promising.

I am doing a demo of that and another demo of Osmind. I will be doing demos for RXNT and NextGen Office. RXNT has an Android app. I abhor iPhones and it seems like most EHRs preferentially develop an Apple app and avoid developing an Android counterpart, for some reason. NextGen has an AI functionality that records the session and generates a note appropriate for compliance and insurance billing requirements. If anyone has some insight into these systems, that would be appreciated.

Does the MSE have check boxes? I used a system that used check boxes for the MSE and it was so quick to do, and easy to modify if something was abnormal.

I just don't know what to do. I will probably stick with PracticeQ for now. I had just started my practice and signed up with Luminello about a week before they shut down. I have 6 patients. I want to go the practice but I don't want to take on more patients until I've found the right EMR, so essentially this issue is keeping me from growing my practice. I need to find the right system that I can be with long-term before I take on more patients because switching systems and importing patient information is a pain. I'm sure it's inconvenient with the patients, too.

I only have until May 23 to make a decision. I didn't care for SimplePractice, for many of the reasons already mentioned in the thread. Also, the initial and follow-up notes are geared toward therapists, not psychiatry, which turned me off to their product. Similarly, I did not find any intakes/follow-up notes on Charm geared specifically toward psychiatry, they seemed designed more for therapists. I don't want to spend a lot of time making a template. I was not too fond of Valant because of the massive amount of tabs one has to sort through during a note. That stood out to me immediately and I was like "nope, not for me." Similarly,

Has anyone tried Alleva? It is designed for MH and looks promising.

I am doing a demo of that and another demo of Osmind. I will be doing demos for RXNT and NextGen Office. RXNT has an Android app. I abhor iPhones and it seems like most EHRs preferentially develop an Apple app and avoid developing an Android counterpart, for some reason. NextGen has an AI functionality that records the session and generates a note appropriate for compliance and insurance billing requirements. If anyone has some insight into these systems, that would be appreciated.
You can add an MSE with check boxes to your note yourself or upload your desired format and PracticeQ will do it for you for a nominal fee. If you know someone using practiceQ they can share forms. I’d offer to share mine but I detest MSE with checkboxes and use a snippet instead

You can add an MSE with check boxes to your note yourself or upload your desired format and PracticeQ will do it for you for a nominal fee. If you know someone using practiceQ they can share forms. I’d offer to share mine but I detest MSE with checkboxes and use a snippet instead
Thank you. My main beef with PracticeQ is lack of lab integration. Not a large concern now, but might be as the practice grows. Labs can be ordered through the Rupa Health integration, but it's confusing because it provides a cash pay price the patient has to pay and they can't use insurance for labs ordered through Rupa. Another issue is that PracticeQ does not seem to pull in active medications into the note. *Sigh*

Yes. Osmind has a "mark all normal" button as well as a "copy from prior" button on the checkbox MSE so you can fill it in even quicker and with fewer clicks. If you're someone who documents a medical ROS or a physical exam, it also does that there.

Thank you. My main beef with PracticeQ is lack of lab integration. Not a large concern now, but might be as the practice grows. Labs can be ordered through the Rupa Health integration, but it's confusing because it provides a cash pay price the patient has to pay and they can't use insurance for labs ordered through Rupa. Another issue is that PracticeQ does not seem to pull in active medications into the note. *Sigh*
I have an account with labcorp and a generic lab slip patients can take to their lab of choice. The results get faxed to me (Doximity fax) or patients upload in the portal. I do labs a couple times a month so this isn’t too onerous

You can link prescriptions to a note if you got to more-> link prescriptions . The format isn’t ideal but it does pull them into the end of the note

My switch to SP is Tuesday night / Wednesday morning. As my assistant and I are putting in final touches and reviews for change over, we both are seeing more clearly the deficiencies of SP. Man, luminello was the superior product. SP should have folded and run with luminello as their flagship.

I was switched to simple practice 2 weeks ago. I love the Dr. First integration which is fast and crisp, better interface than Luminello.

Otherwise, I dont like it. The simple aesthetic has some appeal but its hard to bounce around to different fields. It appears to be made only for simple therapy notes, not more complex medical notes.

Ive signed on to Valant which seems to be the opposite - less of a slick interface but more organized and structured. Ill report back in a weel or two with a little review.

I do miss Luminello. It was fine, and Im not sure any other EMR will be.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I'm sticking with PracticeQ for now. I will report back in a few weeks with my opinions on the platform. They just added the ability to graph scales over time, like the PHQ-9. That's a very nice touch. I will be setting up a prescreen form with them, too.

Charm has worked out mostly well for me. I've been using it for 2 weeks now.

The good parts are:
  • Things are nicely integrated.
    • Having questionnaires and intake notes be tied to appointments and sent out automatically.
    • Prescriptions can be sent in the note and attached to the encounter.
    • Labs are also integrated into the note (ordering and results) and you can create your own reference ranges.
    • Same as DrFirst, prior auths can be completed from inside Charm.
    • You can prescribe supplements from Fullscript.
    • Calendar feels more robust as you can drag to increase time of appointment, have different color schemes, have a custom message to the patient for that appointment, mark whether it's a video, phone, or in person visit.
    • You can set procedure codes and/or price for each visit type and require them to pay it beforehand (I only do this for intakes).
    • Can actually require a credit card before signing up for an appointment instead of having to remind patients incessantly in Luminello.
    • Can track vitals/graph them over time. Automated BMI calculator when you put height/weight in.
    • You can create flowsheets to track stuff - usually for vitals but can be repurposed to track lots of other things like number of missed/late sessions, mood, rating scale scores, obsessive thoughts/compulsive behaviors (hair pulling episodes), etc. Specific flowsheets can be shared with patients and they can enter in their score on the portal/app.
    • Integrated PDMP is nice. I never paid for this in Luminello/DrFirst.
    • TWO WAY GOOGLE CALENDAR SYNC OMG. The #1 deficiency in Luminello in my opinion.
  • I've had to create a work around for a prescreening form. They have to schedule a phone screen and part of that process is filling out a prescreen questionnaire. I can then review and reject/accept the phone screen based on the prescreen responses. Also a work around so patients don't see your full visit type calendar is to create a separate facility that is for new patients where they can book on that time, then transferred over to your full facility calendar where they can book intakes/follow-ups and see your full calendar once you accept them after the phone screen.
  • Kept my negotiated Bluefin rates rather than going up to 3.15% with SP, although there was an issue configuring it over to Charm from Luminello. It uses the same API key but they needed to fix a read/write issue on the back end. This alone will save me thousands of dollars per year.
  • Different fee schedules work out pretty well, rather than doing full fee + discount (which is what PracticeQ does) or not having this functionality at all (SimplePractice).
  • Integrated telehealth with Zoom works better than doxy.me.
  • Charm migration team moved over all the notes and organized it by date, consent documents, and demographic information for all my patients for $750. They did not transfer future appointments and patient family/parent information unfortunately nor did they transfer billing and meds. I had my assistant download this before Luminello shut down and upload it into each patient's chart.
  • Customer service answers their phone with a US based person during business hours immediately. They are VERY helpful when speaking to someone directly and I've been using this quite often.
  • You can customize the automated emails, text messages, voice calls to patients on what it says. You can customize invoice and superbills to look however you want it to.
  • Can search for other peoples' templates but they also aren't that great for my specifications.
  • Customizing note templates is much easier than Luminello where I can create check boxes, drop down menus, multiline vs single line responses for fields, and default text within each field and default checkbox/dropdown selection so that I don't have to use snippets/TextExpander as much.
  • Two factor authentication with face ID or touch ID is nice.
  • New caregiver portal for parents which I highly value as a CAP.
  • I chat with my assistant through the EMR as it is integrated and HIPAA compliant. I can also assign tasks to them through Charm.
The bad parts:
  • It's has an uglier aesthetic and font scheme than PracticeQ and SimplePractice, and might be equivocal to Luminello (vomit green and poop brown/yellow).
  • It can be cluttered. Lots of unnecessary functions like vaccinations, vaccination reminders, or infusions and such that are meant for other specialties. You can customize this to remove anything that is unnecessary. It takes more time to set it up just the way you want it.
  • Customer service emails often get lost in translation as they don't really understand the issue most of the time and maybe half the time solve it completely the first time.
  • Hard to get a demo time as it's not intuitive on the website, but their sales team has a Calendly schedule where you can book times yourself.
  • Billing and invoicing takes more steps. When you sign the encounter, you create an invoice but can't charge the patient immediately from the chart like Luminello. You have to then go to the billing at the end of the day where you can bulk process credit cards for the unpaid invoices.
There's a bunch of functions that I haven't used, like you can customize the patient portal app to make it look like your specific practice made it, or you can communicate/message with providers at different health systems through a HIPAA compliant method. I don't take insurance so haven't explored that functionality.

If I think of more, I'll update this. Overall, I'm really happy with Charm and I think it's a big step up from Luminello. It feels like a more mature, thought out, further developed product.

Last edited:
Charm has worked out mostly well for me. I've been using it for 2 weeks now.

The good parts are:
  • Things are nicely integrated.
    • Having questionnaires and intake notes be tied to appointments and sent out automatically.
    • Prescriptions can be sent in the note and attached to the encounter.
    • Labs are also integrated into the note (ordering and results) and you can create your own reference ranges.
    • Same as DrFirst, prior auths can be completed from inside Charm.
    • You can prescribe supplements from Fullscript.
    • Calendar feels more robust as you can drag to increase time of appointment, have different color schemes, have a custom message to the patient for that appointment, mark whether it's a video, phone, or in person visit.
    • You can set procedure codes and/or price for each visit type and require them to pay it beforehand (I only do this for intakes).
    • Can actually require a credit card before signing up for an appointment instead of having to remind patients incessantly in Luminello.
    • Can track vitals/graph them over time. Automated BMI calculator when you put height/weight in.
    • You can create flowsheets to track stuff - usually for vitals but can be repurposed to track lots of other things like number of missed/late sessions, mood, rating scale scores, obsessive thoughts/compulsive behaviors (hair pulling episodes), etc. Specific flowsheets can be shared with patients and they can enter in their score on the portal/app.
    • Integrated PDMP is nice. I never paid for this in Luminello/DrFirst.
    • TWO WAY GOOGLE CALENDAR SYNC OMG. The #1 deficiency in Luminello in my opinion.
  • I've had to create a work around for a prescreening form. They have to schedule a phone screen and part of that process is filling out a prescreen questionnaire. I can then review and reject/accept the phone screen based on the prescreen responses. Also a work around so patients don't see your full visit type calendar is to create a separate facility that is for new patients where they can book on that time, then transferred over to your full facility calendar where they can book intakes/follow-ups and see your full calendar once you accept them after the phone screen.
  • Kept my negotiated Bluefin rates rather than going up to 3.15% with SP, although there was an issue configuring it over to Charm from Luminello. It uses the same API key but they needed to fix a read/write issue on the back end. This alone will save me thousands of dollars per year.
  • Different fee schedules work out pretty well, rather than doing full fee + discount (which is what PracticeQ does) or not having this functionality at all (SimplePractice).
  • Integrated telehealth with Zoom works better than doxy.me.
  • Charm migration team moved over all the notes and organized it by date, consent documents, and demographic information for all my patients for $750. They did not transfer future appointments and patient family/parent information unfortunately nor did they transfer billing and meds. I had my assistant download this before Luminello shut down and upload it into each patient's chart.
  • Customer service answers their phone with a US based person during business hours immediately. They are VERY helpful when speaking to someone directly and I've been using this quite often.
  • You can customize the automated emails, text messages, voice calls to patients on what it says. You can customize invoice and superbills to look however you want it to.
  • Can search for other peoples' templates but they also aren't that great for my specifications.
  • Customizing note templates is much easier than Luminello where I can create check boxes, drop down menus, multiline vs single line responses for fields, and default text within each field and default checkbox/dropdown selection so that I don't have to use snippets/TextExpander as much.
  • Two factor authentication with face ID or touch ID is nice.
  • New caregiver portal for parents which I highly value as a CAP.
  • I chat with my assistant through the EMR as it is integrated and HIPAA compliant. I can also assign tasks to them through Charm.
The bad parts:
  • It's has an uglier aesthetic and font scheme than PracticeQ and SimplePractice, and might be equivocal to Luminello (vomit green and poop brown/yellow).
  • It can be cluttered. Lots of unnecessary functions like vaccinations, vaccination reminders, or infusions and such that are meant for other specialties. You can customize this to remove anything that is unnecessary. It takes more time to set it up just the way you want it.
  • Customer service emails often get lost in translation as they don't really understand the issue most of the time and maybe half the time solve it completely the first time.
  • Hard to get a demo time as it's not intuitive on the website, but their sales team has a Calendly schedule where you can book times yourself.
  • Billing and invoicing takes more steps. When you sign the encounter, you create an invoice but can't charge the patient immediately from the chart like Luminello. You have to then go to the billing at the end of the day where you can bulk process credit cards for the unpaid invoices.
There's a bunch of functions that I haven't used, like you can customize the patient portal app to make it look like your specific practice made it, or you can communicate/message with providers at different health systems through a HIPAA compliant method. I don't take insurance so haven't explored that functionality.

If I think of more, I'll update this. Overall, I'm really happy with Charm and I think it's a big step up from Luminello. It feels like a more mature, thought out, further developed product.
Thank for the info. I did the free trial with Charm and could not find any relevant psych-specific notes for appointments.