Low Quantitative GRE Score-Is there any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterAnthony9254

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very eager to pursue doctoral studies but I have avoided applying because of my performance on the quantitative component of the GRE. GRE scores alone do not seem to guarantee admission into a Clinical Psych program but can automatically result in rejection.

Some information about my academic and professional background:
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
MA Psychology GPA: 3.9
Four years of research experience in 3 labs (both basic and applied psychological research)
2 publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals
5 poster presentations at scholarly conferences
1 year of clinical experience as a graduate student in a psychiatric hospital

I'm very interested in clinical research, specifically topics surrounding the area of severe adult psychopathology. Hence, why I am looking into PhD programs but I am also eager to obtain clinical training during graduate school which is why I am not pursuing any experimental psychology programs (e.g. Cognitive, Social).

My GRE scores (last attempt August 2016)
Verbal: 163 AW: 6.0 Quantitative: 149

I doubt anyone has obtained admission into a Clinical Psychology PhD program with a Quantitative score in the 140s. In fact, it appears that competitive applicants often have scores above the 75th percentile across all three components.

I have been preparing arduously with materials from Kaplan, Magoosh, and ETS. My diagnostic scores on practice tests from each prep source have collectively estimated my quant score in the mid to high 150s (60-90th percentile) and around the same score as my most recent GRE attempt for the verbal score but I doubt they will reflect my actual score on the test day.

I find it incredibly frustrating that two consonants and a vowel are preventing me from reaching my goals. I have tried so hard to compensate for this short coming but my efforts will be for nothing because of this GRE score.

I feel so despondent about taking the GRE again because it would be such a waste of precious time and money if my Quantitative score remains stable.

Does anybody know why graduate programs in Clinical Psychology reject applications on the basis of GRE scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know why graduate programs in Clinical Psychology reject applications on the basis of GRE scores?

Not all programs have a strict cutoff. If you are otherwise competitive (and from the looks of it you have a lot going for you) then why not apply to programs that don't specify a specific cutoff? If your experience, recommendations, and fit are strong then some faculty will be willing to overlook a weak point on your application.

Or you could re-take the GRE. How many times have you taken it? You imply multiple occasions but it's not clear.

Reactions: 1 user
My quant score was only slightly higher than yours and I was able to get multiple offers from funded programs. Don't lose hope!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like your application is strong aside from the Quant GRE score, so I wouldn't count yourself out. One weakness in an application isn't necessary an insurmountable obstacle. I myself had an undergrad GPA that was quite low relative to the general applicant pool, but the rest of my application was solid (good GRE scores, good recs, lots of research experience, pubs, posters) and I got into multiple fully funded PhD programs.

The one caveat is that you'll want to be realistic about applying to programs that have minimum GRE cutoffs. Once you have an initial list of places you plan to apply, review their materials to see if they mention minimum scores. If they don't mention minimums, I'd recommend contacting the program directly to ask. There's no sense in applying to a program that is going to discard your application. Keep in mind that not all programs use cutoffs, and the ones that use them don't always state this publicly. Nothing nefarious - my program does have internal cutoffs that aren't publicized because there are often exceptions made and they don't want to discourage otherwise strong applicants from applying. Just know that it isn't possible to completely avoid applying to a program with minimum scores, and then do your best to apply broadly to programs that will likely consider your application.

Just to offer you hope I got accepted to two funded programs with Verbal 163 and Quant 146 so even worse than yours. I had a non-traditional educational background K-12 and I had to try and catch up all the math I was never taught. I did have 4.0s in stats/research methods though.
My saving grace according to my PI is that I am an excellent fit for his lab. A good fit to the extent that in a class with a professor who didn't know my cohort asked us to give a short background on our professional selves and when I gave mine she said "You must be in Dr.X's lab. You're his clone". On counterpoint this year I helped interview potential students and my PI was pretty harsh on GRE scores (I think he forgot mine are so low) and used them as part of discerning between a close applicant pool. So, you have a chance but if will be much easier if you can get the quant up.

I would consider getting a tutor.

I also received a 149 quantitative after studying for months with Kaplan, Magoosh, etc. and then jumped to a 157 two months later after about 6 hours of tutoring and plenty more practice.

It was worth the $$$ for me.

Not all programs have a strict cutoff. If you are otherwise competitive (and from the looks of it you have a lot going for you) then why not apply to programs that don't specify a specific cutoff? If your experience, recommendations, and fit are strong then some faculty will be willing to overlook a weak point on your application.

Or you could re-take the GRE. How many times have you taken it? You imply multiple occasions but it's not clear.

As of now, I have taken the GRE on two separate occasions. The first was in March of 2016-I scored 146 Quant 162 Verbal and 4.5 AW. I didn't really prepare the first time. The second time I prepared a little bit but the improvement in scores was unremarkable. Since then I have been preparing more diligently but still I don't know if this will be enough.

Just to offer you hope I got accepted to two funded programs with Verbal 163 and Quant 146 so even worse than yours. I had a non-traditional educational background K-12 and I had to try and catch up all the math I was never taught. I did have 4.0s in stats/research methods though.
My saving grace according to my PI is that I am an excellent fit for his lab. A good fit to the extent that in a class with a professor who didn't know my cohort asked us to give a short background on our professional selves and when I gave mine she said "You must be in Dr.X's lab. You're his clone". On counterpoint this year I helped interview potential students and my PI was pretty harsh on GRE scores (I think he forgot mine are so low) and used them as part of discerning between a close applicant pool. So, you have a chance but if will be much easier if you can get the quant up.

I agree! Thanks for sharing. I feel a little more hopeful. Ideally, I would like my Quantitative score to cross the 50th percentile because it increases the likelihood that my application materials will be taken into consideration collectively.

That's great! Did you receive offers from Clinical Psychology PhD programs specifically?

Yes. I applied to only Clinical Psychology PhD programs & even ended up declining a few interviews. I felt the same way before I applied - I was hyper focused on my quant GRE score and felt that it would hold me back. While it's important and some schools do have cutoffs, it worked out to where I had a choice between multiple offers. Like others have mentioned, it really does come down to fit most of the time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@PeterAnthony9254 - My scores in all areas are very similar to yours, so I too was very hesitant about applying. I held back for about two years and finally jumped in this year. I received 4/8 interviews, from those I'm currently on 2 waitlists for fully-funded APA programs, have 1 offer (not ideal due to funding though), and am still waiting for a decision from the last one. Though I don't have a fully-funded offer, I'm honestly surprised with how my first application cycle went- better than I expected at least. Also, I have a similar amount of pubs, posters, and RA experience as you and I only applied to Clinical Psych PhD programs. So I think you have a good shot! You could get luckier than me and be a #1 pick as opposed to waitlist.

I would consider getting a tutor.

I also received a 149 quantitative after studying for months with Kaplan, Magoosh, etc. and then jumped to a 157 two months later after about 6 hours of tutoring and plenty more practice.

It was worth the $$$ for me.

@psyguy83 , how did you go about picking a tutor? Was it something like Kaplan or did you find something local? I used Magoosh and several others which didn't help me much

I can tell you this- you are applying to a psychology program. You have strong language skills, good experience, good grades...so your quantitative isn't that high...that should NOT discourage you. If you can get it higher- great. If not, focus on getting some more clinical experience and I think you will be surprised by how much interest there is. If you wanted to be a mathematician or physicist I would have different advice but you look like a good candidate to me.

Thank you for the words of encouragement and support. I always believed that a low GRE score could seriously undermine one's chances of obtaining admission into a Clinical Psychology doctoral program since the field is highly competitive. However, I now believe that some programs do value experience and achievements that cannot be measured by a standardized test score. I will still attempt the exam again and I really hope that I can obtain a better score. Regardless, I will still apply for the next application cycle.

@psyguy83 , how did you go about picking a tutor? Was it something like Kaplan or did you find something local? I used Magoosh and several others which didn't help me much

I used Thumbtack to find a local tutor. I live outside of DC so there were plenty to choose from and much cheaper than the big name places.

An additional recommendation, which cannot be overstated, minimized or dismissed: be geographically flexible when casting your application net! I don't want to come across as too harsh, but the reality for fully funded, APA-accred, PhD programs is that they will have their pick from more highly qualified applicants than they could possibly admit. The situation becomes even more competitive in the highly desired / highly populated locations such as SoCal, Bay Area, and NYC, where I am located. Best wishes (and be flexible)!

Reactions: 3 users
An additional recommendation, which cannot be overstated, minimized or dismissed: be geographically flexible when casting your application net! I don't want to come across as too harsh, but the reality for fully funded, APA-accred, PhD programs is that they will have their pick from more highly qualified applicants than they could possibly admit. The situation becomes even more competitive in the highly desired / highly populated locations such as SoCal, Bay Area, and NYC, where I am located. Best wishes (and be flexible)!
I can personally attest to this. When I previously applied, I geographically restricted my applications and did not send out enough of them (only 8 compared to 16 this time). I did previously receive interviews, but fewer than this time and with ultimately no offers, only multiple waitlists that didn't pan out. Being more open and flexible about where I applied allowed me to receive multiple offers to fully-funded programs this time.

I believe that there is hope! Your credentials seem competitive. Do check out Manhattan Prep—it's all I used, and I scored 164 V and 161 Q on my first try.

I can't speak to whether or not your current quantitative score will affect your chances (I believe this is POI- and programme-dependent), but I'd also advise you to work on writing a strong statement of purpose arguing how your research experience and present research interests make you a good fit! I believe this truly solidified my application.

All the best! :)