Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college with a 2.72 sci GPA and 2.91 cum GPA. I went in for a two-year masters in biomedical science program to improve my GPA. However, the first trimester, I failed both of my courses due to an unexpected death in my family. I have done well (mostly A's, some B) in the rest of the courses in the master's program and I retook the two courses I failed and did a lot better the second time around. My graduate transcript shows a major upward trend, however, I was not interviewed by the school I am doing my masters because of the F's I received the first trimester even though the school has a grade replacement policy. Currently, I am finishing my masters in biomedical science with a concentration in public health. I have a 493 mcat (its low but other people from my program were interviewed with my MCAT score and even lower). I am planning to retake the MCAT and reapply. Should I get my MPH (since some of my credits transfer) or take courses at a community college to improve my science gpa? Or do something else to make myself competitive for medical schools? Any thoughts or advice on what I should do will help a lot!

P.S. I work as medical scribe and I have hundreds of clinical and research experiences in different fields and some scientific publications

Thank you!
I would seek advice from your program directors of your options. At least with a master's degree you should be able to build a good plan for an alternate career for the immediate future.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response. Do you know if financial aid would cover that? Also would a postbac look bad if I am already getting my master's?
1, don't know, but the more rigorous coursework at a 4-year school will look better than going to a cc. If finances are an issue then and the last resort go to the CC.)
2) getting a post bacc while you're getting your mph will not look bad. However a masters of Public Health will not help your application for medical school.

Status
Not open for further replies.