Low 230s Step 1: can I still match General Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixAZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my score last week after working hard for 2 years and putting in lots of hours studying during dedicated. I was hoping to get 240, but ended up with 231. I know the mean Step 1 score for GS match is 235. I am below average. Can I still hope to match a solid program in GS? I know top programs are out of my reach now.

I am a US MD student at a mid/low tier medical school. Going to start 3rd year rotation next week.

Members don't see this ad.

What you need is to take a statistics class . . .

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you need is to take a statistics class . . .

There is no need to make such a rude and sacarstic comment like this. I know statistic. I know what mean/average is - it means half of the folks who match score higher than 235 and half scores lower. What I also know is that there many GS programs out there: tippy top ones in desirable locations and not so good ones/bottom of the piles programs in undesirable locations. What I am asking is possibility to match in solid programs.

Reactions: 1 user
You have been in school long enough to know that scores are not everything they look at. Go publish few good papers/impress your faculty and you are better off than the guys with 250s or go piss off a few surgeons and you will be worse off than the guys that scored 210s.

I mean you obviously know the answer to your own question. You scored around average, so more than likely are you are an average student who will have an average application and you will probably match into an average program.

I understand you are bummed about your score and want reassurance. But honestly there is no point in dwelling over something you cant change anymore. More than likely you probably will not match at a top program (those programs have people who are well accomplished + a strong board score) but that doesn't mean you should not focus on making the rest of your application as strong as possible and letting it play out.

However if you let the USMLE mess with your head, you will end up performing bellow average in clinical rotations and that will kill your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Get honors in your third year rotation (try your best) and establish a strong relationship with your surgery faculty so they can vouch for you. You might get pre-screened out of some programs that over rely on scores... but to be honest you might not be missing out on so much, if you are someone who doesn't value prestige as much. With average board score, great relationships with faculty to vouch for you, and honors in surgery, you will do great... maybe even better than you anticipated. The application process is random, great people dont match sometimes and below average people match sometimes. Do your best to clean up whatever you can from this point on... You could consider taking Step 2 early in an attempt to make up for your grade but only do this if you're confident that you'll score higher (otherwise it is honestly better to take that exam as late as possible). Could also considering doing an away at a reasonable reach type program that you might be on the fence for due to board scores.

what do you guys think would be a cut off for most mid-tier academic surgery programs? What about large community programs?

Does going to a community program really limit fellowship options? Keep hearing how operative experience is usually better for residents at community programs due to lack of fellows.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

what do you guys think would be a cut off for most mid-tier academic surgery programs? What about large community programs?

Does going to a community program really limit fellowship options? Keep hearing how operative experience is usually better for residents at community programs due to lack of fellows.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Programs that publish "absolute" cutoffs for Step scores usually say they are 220 or 230. Some programs also have a 240 cutoff too. Some even require and have cutoffs for Step2 scores as well.

A lot of community programs match really well in fellowships. Peds surg and surg onc is not limited to only academic centers. However, I don't know how to judge whether a fellowship program is "good" or not for that given fellowship, so I can't tell you that part.

There is no need to make such a rude and sacarstic comment like this. I know statistic. I know what mean/average is - it means half of the folks who match score higher than 235 and half scores lower. What I also know is that there many GS programs out there: tippy top ones in desirable locations and not so good ones/bottom of the piles programs in undesirable locations. What I am asking is possibility to match in solid programs.

Thats actually the median, if we're splitting hairs here.

230s should match to a program that will train you well- if you are considering not applying surgery because you may end up in an undesirable location then perhaps surgery is not the right choice...

Reactions: 1 users
You will get interviews at low/many midtier academic programs provided you've done will in classes, have some research, good letters, etc. You won't have the luxury of being picky about location, so apply broadly. I speak from experience as I scored a 236 on step 1 and just went through the process.

Even though my Step 1 is slightly higher at 233, you're chances is still higher than mine as I come from a DO school. Zero research experience too outside of undergrad.

Just got my score last week after working hard for 2 years and putting in lots of hours studying during dedicated. I was hoping to get 240, but ended up with 231. I know the mean Step 1 score for GS match is 235. I am below average. Can I still hope to match a solid program in GS? I know top programs are out of my reach now.

I am a US MD student at a mid/low tier medical school. Going to start 3rd year rotation next week.
Definitely possible. I just matched today with a 222 and a HP in surgery. I had really good research and strong letters though. I definitely got screened at a few of the top programs, but I had interviews at places that that claimed 235+ cut-offs.

Definitely possible. I just matched today with a 222 and a HP in surgery. I had really good research and strong letters though. I definitely got screened at a few of the top programs, but I had interviews at places that that claimed 235+ cut-offs.
Big congrats! That’s so exciting. So happy for you. You gave me hope!