Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doctah619

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to you all!

I am a D1 and have a loupes fitting coming up soon. My school requires us to get loupes from 2 different vendors, surgitel and designs for visions.

Just curious as to see what you guys recommend?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have experience with both. DSV from school and then got surgitels after I graduated. I like surgitel more. Can’t explain why. But if it’s both free, go surgitel

Neither are free. I have to pay for whatever I decide

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to you all!

I am a D1 and have a loupes fitting coming up soon. My school requires us to get loupes from 2 different vendors, surgitel and designs for visions.

Just curious as to see what you guys recommend?

Thank you!!

I love my DFV frames but I've never had good luck with their battery pack. Have had 4 different packs over 5 years because of faulty batteries. Never dropped one, never over-charged one, always used the manufactures charging port and cord and each one they have me failed within a year. I finally gave up and bought lumadent light & battery pack to replace and have been very satisfied with that change

Why does your school force you to buy loupes from only two vendors? What would happen if you bought from a different vendor?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why does your school force you to loupes from only two vendors? What would happen if you bought from a different vendor?

Better than my school that gave us one option and only one option for magnification

• Wow
Loupes are expensive. I'd contact all the loupe reps in the area to see which loupes fit best. I don't think your school would be petty enough to kick you out for having q optics instead of surgitel..but who knows lol

Buy what you want and tell them your dentist friend gifted them to you

Last edited:
Whatever you do, make sure you pick up at least 3.5x. I just upgraded from 2.5x for a good reason, and I love the 4x (though I have 3-5x all in one).

Neither are free. I have to pay for whatever I decide
Pretty odd then, if you ask me. Like it's one thing if loupes are already included in what the school bills you for tuition and fees. If you have to buy them on your own, I don't think it's right for them to dictate what companies you can choose from. The goal is to buy one pair of loupes that will serve you well for many years into your dental career.

We only have four vendors (Orascoptic, Designs for Vision, Q Optics, and Surgitel) that came to our school to take measurements, but ultimately we are able to get what we want. If we really wanted to go cheap and buy a pair off Amazon, even that's allowed, but you get what you pay for.