LoR question - last letter won't be in on time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluffypika

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I currently have one likely generic letter + 2 stronger letters for peds applications this year. My last letter I'm planning on getting from my hem/onc elective that I'll be doing in October so it obviously will not be complete by the official ERAS opening date of oct 21. I'll have the 3 required but I was honestly hoping to not use the generic letter and just have 3 strong letters (albeit late).

Any advice on whether or not to assign this generic letter just so I meet the reqs by submission day? Or will it be ok to wait to upload the last letter late without affecting interview chances?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I currently have one likely generic letter + 2 stronger letters for peds applications this year. My last letter I'm planning on getting from my hem/onc elective that I'll be doing in October so it obviously will not be complete by the official ERAS opening date of oct 21. I'll have the 3 required but I was honestly hoping to not use the generic letter and just have 3 strong letters (albeit late).

Any advice on whether or not to assign this generic letter just so I meet the reqs by submission day? Or will it be ok to wait to upload the last letter late without affecting interview chances?

Thanks in advance!
Imo you should submit the three, then go back and add the fourth when it’s ready and email programs you haven’t heard from to let them know of the update. Then you meet the requirements of programs who want three and may get interviews off those alone and not get screened out, and may snatch up some more with the new letter. The interview season is even tighter than usual this year, so you don’t want to risk missing out on places that send all their invites early if you don’t have their minimum letters on time.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, apply when the app opens with a complete application, add the 4th letter later. Meet with your attending for the heme/onc rotation early on (within 2-3 days of starting) with your personal statement and CV in hand to discuss your intent to get a letter from the rotation, and ask for your attending's expectations and what they will be evaluating you on when thinking about your grade and your letter.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you could even offer to take a copy of a letter they have given someone in the past and draft a letter for yourself following the same format (obviously substituting your own story and career goals). They're going to read it themselves, edit it, and upload it without revealing the final version to you, so you are not violating any ERAS protocols. Feels weird the first time you do it, but as long as you don't write anything disingenuous there's nothing wrong with the practice--and this happens the longer you stay in academia. I can't remember the last time I got a letter that I didn't draft myself first.

Anyways, this seems a little aggressive, but hopefully your attending will understand that you are simply trying to be upfront about your goals and expectations from the rotation and that you're streamline the process as much as possible given the tight timeline of applications this year. +/- on offering to draft the letter--personally I think that is fair game, but if it makes you feel uneasy (or the attending doesn't think that's a good idea) no need to push it.

Reactions: 1 user