LOR query

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docontherocks32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an IMG who graduated in June 2012 and planning to apply for an IM residency post this September. I have a query regarding my LOR from the chair of medicine from my parent institute.

My chair has provided me with a copy of the LOR despite my waiving the letter. However, there are two typographical errors in the text. To be more precise, twice there is no space between two words (For example: "an activepart" instead of "an active part" and :" has asound knowledge..." instead of "has a sound knowledge..."). How much difference do these two errors make? Will programs judge him to be a less reliable person due to these typos? As it is, LORs from foreign physicians are given less credit. It is a great LOR as far as content is concerned. I do not want to lose out on the merits of a good LOR as my other LORs (from my US rotations) are waived and I don't know how good or bad they are.

I am apprehensive about approaching him for uploading a new corrected LOR. However, if it is going to harm my chances to get an interview/match in any way, I would rather risk irritating him with a request than to spoil my chances of a match.

I tried searching on the forum but could not find someone in a similar position (though many people had their names or gender misspelled in some posts). Any suggestions on whether I should approach him or let it slide by, would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually credit typographical errors of the type you are describing to faculty who don't have time to proofread letters before signing and/or secretaries who are just typing words and not reading the content for sense. My favorite error was a letter for a student who was well-regarded by his piers. If you can find a tactful way to request a revision, there's no harm in asking. But when it comes to decision time on whether or not to extend an interview invitation, an obviously-inadvertent typo won't enter the discussion.

Reactions: 1 users
I usually credit typographical errors of the type you are describing to faculty who don't have time to proofread letters before signing and/or secretaries who are just typing words and not reading the content for sense. My favorite error was a letter for a student who was well-regarded by his piers. If you can find a tactful way to request a revision, there's no harm in asking. But when it comes to decision time on whether or not to extend an interview invitation, an obviously-inadvertent typo won't enter the discussion.

Thank you for your kind reply. I am much relieved on knowing that its not that big a game changer. I am afraid that going to him might irritate him a lot. Plus getting an interview with him again would be tough as well, since he's always preoccupied with stuff. I will still try to get it changed if I get the proper opportunity.

I would keep the typos in, this way it look more genuine. Perfect things are usually more suspicious. No body will judge you from the writer's typos, but the content what really matter most. And remember it is just a part of the application, you still have a big picture to look into. Most PD don't read details but they scan with theirs eyes thousands of LORs drying the peak of applications. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would keep the typos in, this way it look more genuine. Perfect things are usually more suspicious. No body will judge you from the writer's typos, but the content what really matter most. And remember it is just a part of the application, you still have a big picture to look into. Most PD don't read details but they scan with theirs eyes thousands of LORs drying the peak of applications. Good luck!
Thank you for your kind reply. I guess I will just let the LoR stay as it is and hope for the best.

Hi, I am an IMG who graduated in June 2012 and planning to apply for an IM residency post this September. I have a query regarding my LOR from the chair of medicine from my parent institute.

My chair has provided me with a copy of the LOR despite my waiving the letter. However, there are two typographical errors in the text. To be more precise, twice there is no space between two words (For example: "an activepart" instead of "an active part" and :" has asound knowledge..." instead of "has a sound knowledge..."). How much difference do these two errors make? Will programs judge him to be a less reliable person due to these typos? As it is, LORs from foreign physicians are given less credit. It is a great LOR as far as content is concerned. I do not want to lose out on the merits of a good LOR as my other LORs (from my US rotations) are waived and I don't know how good or bad they are.

I am apprehensive about approaching him for uploading a new corrected LOR. However, if it is going to harm my chances to get an interview/match in any way, I would rather risk irritating him with a request than to spoil my chances of a match.

I tried searching on the forum but could not find someone in a similar position (though many people had their names or gender misspelled in some posts). Any suggestions on whether I should approach him or let it slide by, would be most appreciated.

On a slightly unrelated note, I did a rotation as an observer in a US program in the MICU. The program lets observers get evaluations from every one on the team, and based on the evaluations you get a letter from the PD. They give a copy of all your evaluations to you.
I got very good evaluations and a letter from the PD based on them. I have not seen it as I have waived my right. I also got a letter from an attending in the same program who I worked with for a week. He had given me a stellar evaluation, with a detailed mention of what all I had done to help the team. I have not seen his LoR either.
I will be able to use only one of these LoRs while applying. In the end, both of them might turn out to be generic ( I was just an observer after all), I'll never know. But all things being equal, which one should I use to apply to programs?

Last edited: