Looking for study materials to prepare for MS4 Sub-I/AI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylafan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my Masters year between MS3 and MS4, so I'm looking for some study materials to prepare me for my psych Sub-is/AI this June. Looking for materials that are more difficult than STEP 2/NBME/UWorld. I've heard about PRITE, but sounds like a lot of people think it's not helpful for clinical practice. Boards stuff would probably be too advanced. Any suggestions?

Update: I've really been enjoying doing Spiegel & Kenny! Been getting ~60%. Feel like I'm learning a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First Aid for psych is still a solid review source. If you want to impress start reading some of the more seminal papers in the field. Know STAR-D, CATIE, etc. Search this site for Splik's list of papers to read as a resident, last I checked it was also on UWash's website as well. Other than that, make sure you know basic criteria for the main things we tend to diagnose/treat as well as medication classes and major side effects or special uses. Do that, fit in with the team decently, and be an engaged learner and team member and you'll at least be solid.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you REALLY want to impress your attendings, know the local social service options. I'm much more impressed with a student (or resident) who can quickly figure out how to safely discharge a patient than one who picks out a SSRI or atypical. I also appreciate when students are able to adeptly manage interpersonal interactions and set appropriate boundaries in severely personality disordered patients. Heck just recognizing severe personality pathology over a mood disorder is a great start. Anything personality related is so much more helpful to your team than stuff to do with primary mood, anxiety or psychotic disorders since they can be a major drain on emotional energy and time.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know what setting your psych-AI's will be in? I found MGH Handbook of General Hospital Psychiatry to be helpful prior to my CL AI.
First is emergency and C-L (my institution has them combined), then acute adult, then child inpatient. Thanks for the book recommendation!

Honestly, if you REALLY want to impress your attendings, know the local social service options. I'm much more impressed with a student (or resident) who can quickly figure out how to safely discharge a patient than one who picks out a SSRI or atypical. I also appreciate when students are able to adeptly manage interpersonal interactions and set appropriate boundaries in severely personality disordered patients. Heck just recognizing severe personality pathology over a mood disorder is a great start. Anything personality related is so much more helpful to your team than stuff to do with primary mood, anxiety or psychotic disorders since they can be a major drain on emotional energy and time.
Great! I worked as a case manager for patients with mental illness in the area, so I'm knowledgeable about social service options and even have some connections. Will definitely volunteer to help with patients with personality disorders (especially Cluster B). I have a few family members with Cluster B, so I guess they helped prepare me.

Clpsychiatry.org has a bunch of med student and resident education resources that are great like above. Recommend.

Psych.db has good overviews/summaries.

Psychiatry and psychotherapy podcast (worth finding some CL-related episodes they have and listening) also has a great resource library.

Get a pdf of stahl prescriber guide- good reference.

Dsm5tr has a pretty cheap physical reference book that is cheap and worth acquiring and referencing day to day.

SMI adviser is an incredible online resource comprised of severe mental illness (bipolar, depression, schizophrenia) experts who you can freely ask complex questions to and they respond within like 1-2 days.

If you want to read scientific papers for a presentation or clinical stuff, there is a website that has most scientific literature freely viewable (you copy paste the pubmed link). You’d have to Internet search for it though- I don’t think I should list it here.

Uptodate’s acute agitation resources are pretty reasonable. Know what a b52 is (50 diphenhydramine 5 haloperidol 2 of lorazepam that can be combined into same syringe [ideally your place will have IM hydroxyzine to replace the diphenhydramine but unlikely]).

Recommend you review medical decision making capacity (uptodate has a good table for this), delirium (statpearls is a good place to start and the psychiatry psychotherapy podcast does a good job too), potentially alcohol withdrawal info (know what CIWA is).

Reactions: 1 user