Looking for MD PhD faculty mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHD_2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am looking for a mentor that has both a MD and PhD. I'm very interested in academic medicine and I really want to engage in patient care and research. I was wondering if anyone knows any physicians that would be interested in providing advice and/or mentoring students. :) Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I am looking for a mentor that has both a MD and PhD. I'm very interested in academic medicine and I really want to engage in patient care and research. I was wondering if anyone knows any physicians that would be interested in providing advice and/or mentoring students. :) Thanks!!!!
Any idea what field you might want to go into? If so, go to the GW website and look at the faculty in that dept. Email the MD/PhDs and talk to them about getting involved with research and/or shadowing once you start school. If not, then look in pathology or one of the IM subspecialties. That's where most of the MD/PhDs wind up.

I received my PhD in Developmental Cardiology (basic science research) this May. However, I would like to conduct clinical research in the field of cardiology. So far, I haven't been able to find any physician-scientists at GW that are conducting clinical research in this area. (I'm sure that there are a few out there but I haven't been very successful at finding them.) GW has a track program for students wanting to pursue careers in clincial research but I just wanted to "pick you guy's brains" about potential mentors that would be willing to give me some advice about academic medicine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know anyone at at GW but there is a MD/PhD at Penn, Charles Bridges, that is one of the top cardiothoracic surgeons in PA. He does some clincial work i think. That may be a place to start looking; maybe he knows people at GW. (he is a black male by the way)

I received my PhD in Developmental Cardiology (basic science research) this May. However, I would like to conduct clinical research in the field of cardiology. So far, I haven't been able to find any physician-scientists at GW that are conducting clinical research in this area. (I'm sure that there are a few out there but I haven't been very successful at finding them.) GW has a track program for students wanting to pursue careers in clincial research but I just wanted to "pick you guy's brains" about potential mentors that would be willing to give me some advice about academic medicine. :)

Look up William Weglicki, M.D. who is chair of Physiology/Experimental Medicine at GW. He is a cardiologist and extremely well-connected, extremly nice and knowledgable; also Benjamin Dickins, Ph.D who is part of Weglicki's research group. If you can find them, also look up Thomas Masterson, M.D. and Jonathan Reiner, M.D. Both are are well-connected and quite personable and are involved in academic cardiology. (Both were part of Weglicki's group too.)

Thanks everyone!!!! I appreciate the help!!! :)