Looking for IM residencies that might flow into good heme/onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebeanjenn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS3. Step 1: 239, all honors in 3rd year so far, junior AOA, non-trad. Research experience, no pubs yet.

I absolutely want to do heme/onc. I'd like to work at an academic center, teach, and do clinical research. I'm less excited about bench research. Would like to be in clinic at least three days a week.

I am looking for IM residencies where I would be a good candidate for the heme/onc program. I know there are no guarantees, but in the ideal situation I wouldn't have to move twice.

Talking to my advisor this week I learned that Mayo H/O really won't take anyone with a Step 1 <250. That was helpful in crossing that off my list, at least for IM. I will probably still apply to these for fellowship regardless, but I don't want to move somewhere for residency if I'm not a good candidate for the fellowship program. So, any thoughts on my theoretical chances at the H/O fellowship at the programs below? Are any of these programs notorious for NOT wanting to take residents from their institution? (seems strange to me, but I have heard of this happening with cards)

Duke
Michigan
Vandy
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
U Chicago
Iowa
UNC
U Colorado
Emory
Case Western

There is a bit of family and geographic influence in that list, but I am open to suggestions of other H/O programs I should be thinking about.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Curious about this as well - I have very similar stats except for the fact that I'm a DO (which means no AOA) and I have research with a couple pubs.

I'm a MS3. Step 1: 239, all honors in 3rd year so far, junior AOA, non-trad. Research experience, no pubs yet.

I absolutely want to do heme/onc. I'd like to work at an academic center, teach, and do clinical research. I'm less excited about bench research. Would like to be in clinic at least three days a week.

I am looking for IM residencies where I would be a good candidate for the heme/onc program. I know there are no guarantees, but in the ideal situation I wouldn't have to move twice.

Talking to my advisor this week I learned that Mayo H/O really won't take anyone with a Step 1 <250. That was helpful in crossing that off my list, at least for IM. I will probably still apply to these for fellowship regardless, but I don't want to move somewhere for residency if I'm not a good candidate for the fellowship program. So, any thoughts on my theoretical chances at the H/O fellowship at the programs below? Are any of these programs notorious for NOT wanting to take residents from their institution? (seems strange to me, but I have heard of this happening with cards)

Duke
Michigan
Vandy
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
U Chicago
Iowa
UNC
U Colorado
Emory
Case Western

There is a bit of family and geographic influence in that list, but I am open to suggestions of other H/O programs I should be thinking about.

Thank you!!

I'm pretty sure that not true.

Being junior AOA, you will match well. Once you get the interviews you should be able to tease out which programs may be the best for the next 6-7 years. Unless you are ABIM, there really is no guarantee to stay for fellowship at your IM program.

I had a 240 on step 1, and when I interviewed at Mayo they paired one of my interview with someone in H/O. She absolutely gave me the impression that Mayo looks favorably on their own for H/O. I would just go to the strongest program you can get into, especially if you are looking into academic H/O.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure that not true.

Being junior AOA, you will match well. Once you get the interviews you should be able to tease out which programs may be the best for the next 6-7 years. Unless you are ABIM, there really is no guarantee to stay for fellowship at your IM program.

I had a 240 on step 1, and when I interviewed at Mayo they paired one of my interview with someone in H/O. She absolutely gave me the impression that Mayo looks favorably on their own for H/O. I would just go to the strongest program you can get into, especially if you are looking into academic H/O.

Hey Dr. VanNostran, kind of peripherally related to the topic at hand, but I was wondering what you thought of Mayo and how you ranked it. I'm also wondering if you have any insight into how competitive it is to match there in general. I'm curious since I'm personally interested in the program. Thanks.

Hey Dr. VanNostran, kind of peripherally related to the topic at hand, but I was wondering what you thought of Mayo and how you ranked it. I'm also wondering if you have any insight into how competitive it is to match there in general. I'm curious since I'm personally interested in the program. Thanks.

Me too, if the 250 thing is questionable.

Are we talking about residency or fellowship here?

Mayo is moderately competitive for IM primarily because of the location. Also, some people worry about it being too much of a zebra ranch although I'm not sure how true that is.

It is probably more competitive for H/O than IM but I doubt the 250 thing is true. Besides, the difference between a 239 and a 250 is probably something like 3 questions.

To your original question, I wouldn't get too hung up on choosing a residency for the fellowship program at that institution unless you're applying to a combined research pathway residency. You may get to Program X and discover that you hate the city, or that the attendings in the specialty are all spectacular douchewads and decide you want to go to Program Y in city Z instead.

With the exception of Case, all the programs you listed are solid in IM and H/O and make a very nice list overall. I would also add (based on your apparent geographical considerations):
Utah
Madison
UMinn
WashU

I actually loved Mayo, but like most people it dropped on my rank list due to location. I ended up ranking it number 4 (Rush, UIC, Wisconsin, Mayo ended up being the final 4). I ended up at Rush.

My one regret in terms of ranking was that I am interest in solid tumors, and Rush happens to be very heavy on the liquid side. So maybe UIC would have been a better fit. Once you interview, you will end up seeing that most programs are marginally different and you will rank the places you liked best, not necessarily the best name.

I actually loved Mayo, but like most people it dropped on my rank list due to location. I ended up ranking it number 4 (Rush, UIC, Wisconsin, Mayo ended up being the final 4). I ended up at Rush.

My one regret in terms of ranking was that I am interest in solid tumors, and Rush happens to be very heavy on the liquid side. So maybe UIC would have been a better fit. Once you interview, you will end up seeing that most programs are marginally different and you will rank the places you liked best, not necessarily the best name.

Thanks for the reply. I've heard the location concern on Mayo several times now. I was wondering if you could elaborate on what about it drives people away. The cold winters, and the lack of a "big city" feel? I'm not very familiar with Rochester.

Rochester is pretty bad... It's even more homogenous than other midwestern "cities" like Madison, but colder and even smaller. With that said, I know many people who lived there growing up and desire to return so obviously it can't be all that bad. Plus, you can easily make it to the twin cities in an hour with good weather, and the area is growing. The U of M formally started a satellite campus there a few years ago so that should help in the long run.

Really, ya just gotta visit it and see.

Thanks everyone so far!

I know there are no guarantees... I'm just trying to avoid going to a place for IM where I wouldn't have a reasonable shot at the H/O program.

IMO any place that that takes you for residency you will have a good chance for heme onc there.

Coffeebeanjenn,

I interviewed for H/O during the last application cycle and interviewed at about half the programs on your list, including Mayo Clinic...so I have a few comments.

1. Though you probably have to do pretty well on Step 1, you do not HAVE to have a 250 to interview there.

2. I had a fantastic experience on my interview day there and found the fellows and faculty very engaging, intelligent, and happy.

3. They do take their own residents. Several of the fellows at Mayo had been residents there.

4. I enjoyed my limited time in Rochester, it is not exactly a small town and does have decent amount of things to do. It is approximately an hour away from Minneapolis (with good weather) if you are looking for a city feel. It does not have the same feel as nearby programs such as Madison, Iowa City probably because of a lack of a major university, but you have to determine if that is a positive or a negative.

Hope this helps.

Would add places associated with top heme/onc programs--
MGH/Brigham
Hopkins
Cornell

The last is probably less strong for total IM that than the others on the list, but about equivalent to the others your mentioned initially...the heme onc match at Cornell is one of the best around though, mostly because of the Sloan Kettering Connection and the Chairman of medicine is a hematologist/president of ash a couple years ago, and gets pretty involved with the residents.

Would add places associated with top heme/onc programs--
MGH/Brigham
Hopkins
Cornell

I'm flattered!

I'm also a little reluctant about NYC schools only because I'm not sure I'm ready to transition back to that kind of lifestyle after fleeing our super-tiny 1BR in DC three years ago. It is tempting, though, because those schools are so great. I'll give Cornell a long look this summer.

I have been flirting with the idea of adding MGH/Brigham (I love/miss Boston) and Hopkins (I have some ties there). I will probably apply just to see what happens... perhaps I'll get lucky!