long time stalker, first time poster with low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturamaFan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-time applicant. 24 years old. White male, but not single. I believe that my pre-health adviser is a little bit optimistic, but she convinced me to at least try for U.S. allopathic before going offshore. I'm not interested in osteopathic.

I've been in college six years. The first three years were at an ivy league school where I majored in engineering. This was before I decided to pursue medicine.

The final three years were at a SUNY (public New York State) school. Here, I majored in Philosophy and Biology and just graduated with a B.S.

GPA:

First three years:
Overall: 2.2 (98 credits) Science: 2.1 (35 credits)

Final three years:
Overall: 3.6 (122 credits) Science: 3.6 (67 credits)

So, after some horrifying number-crunching,
Overall: 2.98 (220 credits) Science: 3.09 (102 credits)

I don't believe that any of this is considered post-bacc since I never received a degree from the first college, but I might be wrong. And yes, the semesters in the final three years were chock-full of learning. Another sidenote: my general biology and organic chem classes were taken in the second three years and I got three A's and one B+ (in Organic II). I retook the chemistry, physics, and calculus that I'd gotten C's in at the first school, and received A's except for one B- (in Physics II).

MCAT:

Taken once, in January 2008.

PS: 12 VR: 10 WS: O BS: 12

34O

Research, volunteer, etc:

In-depth research on potential bioterror agents at the New York Department of Health. Emphasis on molecular biology. I gave a ~30 minute presentation to our research group.

Volunteering in ED and infectious diseases ward at a large hospital. 150 hours. Significant clinical experience that included lots of touching (therapeutically necessary; not sexual of course).

Paid work 20 hours a week performing quality control in the clinical labs for that same hospital. Requires quick thinking, teamwork, and multi-tasking.

Attendance at the National Undergraduate Bioethics Conference and at colloquia in the philosophy program at my school. I loved this stuff.

And now, the ubiquitous question:

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would apply allo and carib at the same time. It seems that your obviously capable of handling medical school based on your mcat and last 3 years gpa. However, allo schools are gonna have plenty of qualified applicants who have much higher gpa's. Since your gpa is below a 3.0 some schools will screen you out. If you have the money go for it. As far as the carib aim for SGU but AUC and ROSS are solid. SGU is getting more and more competitive. I didnt get in until i got pulled off the waitlist a week before class started. And i ended up getting into allo. and osteo schools later in the cycle. My only reservation is that it seems to be getting harder for carib graduates to match with the growth in both size and respect of DO schools and the allopathic class expansion.