Locum tenens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Equality

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one get a locum tenens job in ophthalmology? Does anyone have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience (a brief entertainment of the idea) it was never, ever worth it to do locums gigs. Your contracting company will charge ~2-3x your rate and will pay you $100-150 an hour. One job I was offered included being fed surgeries by a group of optometrists and operating 4 days per week. The fifth day would be spent in clinic doing evals and lasers. You'd be generating nearly $5,000 - 10,000 in income per hour and getting paid 1-2% of it with with no bonus. I told them I'd need a higher salary and they simply told me there's no room for negotiating.

Other gigs involved being in clinics where the private practice owners would load your patient panels to the max to make sure they get their money's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
CompHealth is where you want to go. I really don't see that many short term locums opportunities available in ophthalmology. As others have said, you are looking at about $800-1,000 per day.

A few years back, I really never saw any advertising for ophthalmology locums. Now, I do. There are more ophthalmologists retiring than are being produced. There is also an ever increasing population needing eyecare (there are 10,000 people per day turning 65 in the US). With this combo, it's the perfect storm for communities, practices, and/or hospitals eventually needing extra help.

The way I view locums is this......I plan to retire in a few years, and I will have enough money to do so. Doing locums would be a way for me to keep my mind or skills busy, earn extra money if I want, or go to another part of the country I would not ordinarily visit. Since I will only do locums, if I want, I'm not looking to negotiate with a recruiter or hospital. If they need me bad enough, they'll negotiate if they are not willing then I'll enjoy sitting at home reading a good book or be outside hiking some trails