Loan forgiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_windwaker

Reaction score
I don’t know where to put this but was wondering if someone knew anything about joining the peace corps after graduation as a pharmacist to get some loans forgiven. I will be 300k in debt, and also be expected to maintain an active license should I want to come back and practice stateside. If anyone can shed some light on this it’d be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So you want to work in Socal and your loans to be forgiven? May the odds be in your favor.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I (thankfully) will be closer to $50,000. I plan on working with Indian Health Services. If you work for 2 years, they will give you $40,000 in loan reimbursement. There's locations everywhere including outside of Native American reservations. LRP Basics | Loan Repayment

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know where to put this but was wondering if someone knew anything about joining the peace corps after graduation as a pharmacist to get some loans forgiven. I will be 300k in debt, and also be expected to maintain an active license should I want to come back and practice stateside. If anyone can shed some light on this it’d be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Don't bother with joining the peace corps to have loans forgiven. 1. What they need are doctors and nurse practitioners, there's very little demand for pharmacists and 2. Unless you plan to work for them for 10 years, they're not going to help much with loans.

As a starting point, look up PAYE (Pay as you earn) and PSLF (Public service loan forgiveness). Also a few hospitals may donate a couple thousand towards tuition reimbursement if you meet certain conditions.

I have colleagues utilizing the path of IHS services as others have stated to alleviate some debt.

With your high loans, I’d urge you to consider working for a 501c(3) organization (basically any nonprofit organization that’s exempt from some types of federal income taxes like certain hospitals and gov jobs). In this case, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) of your consolidated federal loans (Not Private Loans). With low monthly payments for 120 consecutive months, you may write off the remainder of your fed loans while avoiding a tax bomb at the end.

Another option is military service with a minimum obligation of 3 years for 120k of loans forgiven, but this can be competitive and cutbacks are currently taking place in the healthcare portion with specific branches. I can’t really think of anything else other than PAYE program but you’ll be hit with a tax bomb at the end...

Hope this at least puts you in the right direction.

This is what I always ask.... do you have a good pair of running shoes? Do you have at least 5 years of tech experience in a full bore cvs in SoCal?