Loaded experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TriAgain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a reapplicant. I needed to improve a poor MCAT score from my previous application - and I did. But, while getting my Masters in Social Work I became very active with my school's gay, lesbian and bisexual issues group. I'm not gay (really) but I need some advice on if I should list these activities as some may see them as a "red flag".

Thanks,

J

Members don't see this ad.

chicagomel said:
What if you emphasized the fact that you were "straight alliance" and how you're a proponent of human rights?

I, too, have that dilemma, as I was a Social Events Officer my junior year in college. I'm not sure what to do about that, because I don't want to raise a "red flag" either.

Any advice out there?

I know another student who is applying for the first time this year. He is an arab-american and has volunteered time in the palestinian territories and with palestinian organizations. He feels like he is in the same boat. I guess I could be a more difficult situation, like his, but this is my third try and I don't know if I can handle a fourth. So I'm really hoping someone out there knows something useful...

Thanks,

J

TriAgain said:
I am a reapplicant. I needed to improve a poor MCAT score from my previous application - and I did. But, while getting my Masters in Social Work I became very active with my school's gay, lesbian and bisexual issues group. I'm not gay (really) but I need some advice on if I should list these activities as some may see them as a "red flag".

Thanks,

J

Really? Are you serious? Are you afraid that they will think you're gay!?! :scared:

Think of it this way, there are plenty of people on this site who ARE gay and put these sorts of ECs on their application. If they were asked about them in interviews they might feel like they have to come out (although the validity of that is debatable) and plenty do, by choice. BTW there are plenty of openly gay people in medical school. In your case all you say is "Actually, I'm not gay but I feel that all people deserve to be treated equally." What's the problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wednesday said:
Really? Are you serious? Are you afraid that they will think you're gay!?! :scared:

Think of it this way, there are plenty of people on this site who ARE gay and put these sorts of ECs on their application. If they were asked about them in interviews they might feel like they have to come out (although the validity of that is debatable) and plenty do, by choice. BTW there are plenty of openly gay people in medical school. In your case all you say is "Actually, I'm not gay but I feel that all people deserve to be treated equally." What's the problem?

No, I really don't care if they think I'm gay. But most of our work (lately) was centered on the rights of homosexual couples to marry and adopt. Both of these issues are "hot button" topics that tend to create strong feelings in some people. If an evangelical christian is the first to read my application, will I be better recieved without listing these ECs? Is it worth the risk since I got my MCAT up to a 32 (11, 11, 10)? Should I try and go the "inoffensive" safe route? I would think an openly gay person would face the same question. At base (leave the gay question out); should a:thumbdown: (re)applicant list ECs that absolutely declare a set position on issues of public debate? Could be abortion - what if you worked for planned parenthood, the middle east - you worked for the palestinian authority, leagalization of marijuana - I assume no one lists membership in NORML. What do you do with "hot" ECs?

Thanks,

J

Has working with this group contributed to your motivations for medicine? If so, would you want to attend a school that was opposed to your beliefs/ECs?

I don't have any experience with "hot ECs," but those are the questions I would ask myself if I did. Also, if you search the pre-allo forum, you will find that people have been accepted with all kinds of ECs. Good luck with your decision!

TriAgain said:
No, I really don't care if they think I'm gay. But most of our work (lately) was centered on the rights of homosexual couples to marry and adopt. Both of these issues are "hot button" topics that tend to create strong feelings in some people. If an evangelical christian is the first to read my application, will I be better recieved without listing these ECs? Is it worth the risk since I got my MCAT up to a 32 (11, 11, 10)? Should I try and go the "inoffensive" safe route? I would think an openly gay person would face the same question. At base (leave the gay question out); should a:thumbdown: (re)applicant list ECs that absolutely declare a set position on issues of public debate? Could be abortion - what if you worked for planned parenthood, the middle east - you worked for the palestinian authority, leagalization of marijuana - I assume no one lists membership in NORML. What do you do with "hot" ECs?

Thanks,

J

Sorry, I just had a strong reaction to your post for some reason. You didn't really deserve it. I tend to agree with the above poster that if you have taken the time to work within the community it seems that you wouldn't really want to go to a school that rejected you as a result of that affiliation. However, I understand not wanting to put something on your application that might lower your chances at admittance.

So it seems to me that you have two choices. You could just leave the experiences off, which wouldn't be the end of the world. I imagine that you have other ECs to put on your app. You can't leave classes off the application, but there is no rule that says you have to include all your ECs. If you're really worried, just leave them off. No biggie.

The other choice is to include them. If it ends up being an issue, it will probably just be with your interviewer (I doubt you would be rejected pre or post secondary for something like that since it's usually several people who make these decisions). If you do happen to get some backwards interviewer (sorry, but this is how I feel about homophobes) you can just try to explain your involvement as a basic human rights issue. I think the chances of this being a big issue is almost nil. If anything, I would think that presenting yourself in your entirity can only benefit you. There are SO many applicants and a lot of them are so similar. Anything different about you that sets you apart and gives you depth, even if it's a little controversial, should be an asset.

Either way you have to do what you're comfortable with. Personally I don't think that including those ECs is going to hurt you in any way. But if you do and it's going to bug you or if you forsee yourself blaming any future rejections on this aspect of your application, perhaps you should leave them off. Good luck with your application. It sounds like you have put yourself in a really good position to get accepted.