living in sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocomcgill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'll be attending Usyd this february and was wondering if any current students had any suggestions about where to live. Do med students live in rez or do most get apartments. Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey.. I am in the first year of Sydney's dental program. At Sydney you'll have to put up with all us annoying dental students as we take all of the same classes with you for the first two years. I know most of the international dental and medical students all live in either on campus in one of the colleges (res halls) ie. dorms on campus. Or there is a new place called Sydney University Village a lot of them live in, but it is a little pricey I think. but I'll leave that up to you to decide. Most internationals live on or near campus for the first two years and then move out closer to their respective teaching hospitals for 3rd and 4th years. Congrats and good luck!

cocomcgill said:
Hello everyone, i'll be attending Usyd this february and was wondering if any current students had any suggestions about where to live. Do med students live in rez or do most get apartments. Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Congrats on your acceptance to the GMP. The best suburbs are Glebe, Annandale, Newtown, Surry Hills- all are close to Usyd. Newtown is a bit of a dump, but some people seem to like it. It will be expensive to live in Sydney, make no mistake. I lived at the International House for the first week and then moved into shared accomodation. The International House is expensive for short term accomodation, but it's a good place to stay while you look for another accom. Some int students stayed at International House, but most of us found shared accom or a 1 bedroom.

I personally recommend Glebe, a great suburb that's v close to campus. Check out http://www.domain.com.au/ for rentals.

Hope this helps.