List geographic preference on eras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it help or hurt for competitive fellowships??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's a simple answer, it's going to depend upon programs. Some will weight geo pref as a strong factor. Some will consider a lack of geo pref as a strong negative factor. Choosing "No preference" is anyone's guess. The one thing I would NOT do is choose nothing -- that will look to everyone like you chose other regions as geo pref, and can only hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily. Programs can choose to screen or not, at any stage of the process. In fact, I expect that programs that use this, use it as an early screen.
Oh? Ok. We were all screened, but then again, I’m thankfully not a PD and why I absolve myself of the process because to me, that’s a pointless question.

Look at it this way: ERAS has divided the country into 9 regions. You can pick 3 of them as having a geo pref, or you can choose "no preference". If you apply to us and haven't mentioned a geo pref (and not "no pref"), then presumably you have picked 3 other regions. That means that the chances of you actually wanting to come to our region are pretty low. We have so many applications for IV slots that we don't want to waste them on people who aren't really interested.

Reactions: 1 users