Limits removed completely from Statement of Need Application (in support of J1Visa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
The health Canada website now reveals there are no longer any limits on specialties and subspecialties to recieve a Statement of Need.

There remains a caution as follows.

Specialties identified as a limited demand in Canada
Nationally, the following areas are identified as limited demand at the current time, leading to challenges in finding employment in Canada:

• Cardiac Surgery
  • Medical Microbiology
  • Nuclear Medicine
  • Plastic Surgery
  • Urology
  • Radiation Oncology
  • Diagnostic Radiology
  • General Surgery
  • Orthopedic Surgery
  • Ophthalmology
  • Otolaryngology
  • Sub-specialty training
Find the link
Health Canada dot ca and search for statement of need.

The meaning of the above caution is that you may or may not find employment as a licenced physician after training in the United States. It is entirely up to you to ensure your training will be sufficient to get a medical licence and it will be your responsibility to liaise with employers.

Best wishes.
L.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this apply to fellowships as well? Prior to this change, J1 visas for fellowships are only offered for specialities with discrepancy in the length of training (so for neurology 4 vs. 5 years, only 1-year fellowships are acceptable for J1 visa). I don't see any mentioning of fellowships on the website now, so I'm assuming that there is no longer restrictions on fellowships either.

Yes!

All restrictions have been removed.
Residency, fellowships, everything.
EVERYTHING!
how about that!
I have no clue why.
L.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not seeing where it said the limitations are removed. All I saw are the instructions to apply for a statement of need and the list of specialties that are in limited demand (the list you have in the OP)