Lifestyle of Non-Invasive Cardiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daelroy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, i don't mean to bring up another lifestyle issue. I did a search and could not find a post that detailed differences in lifestyle among Interventionalists and Non-Invasive cardiologists. I'm aware that interventional cardiologists generally work a lot of hours and are on call.

Can the same be said of non-interventional cardiologists since they don't do procedures?

How often are they on call?

And how do they earn so much money if they are not doing a lot of invasive procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

To try and answer your questions:

1. The call for non-invasive cards would be better, I assume, because there would not be emergency call to the cath lab. A greater proportion of your time would be spent in the office, interpreting stress test and EKGs, and following patients for cardiac issues.

2. Depends on the practice: how many partners there are, how much you want to make, etc. In private practice, the lifestyle is not as bad as during residency or fellowship. You split call with others, and can set your own hours in many cases.

3. Bread and butter for non-invasive cards is stress test interpretation, EKG interpretation, etc. I have heard cards guys making as much as 100 bucks a pop to read EKGs (takes about 3-5 minutes) for a hospital.

Just my opinions, take it for what it is worth.

231 views and only one response? Cmon guys, I know these lifestyle questions can seem annoying but I genuinely researched old threads and nothing has distinguished the differences in lifestyle between interverventional and non-invasive cardiology? People only commented on the lifestyle of a cardiology fellowship and practice in general without distinguishing between the subsets.

To SmallTownGuy

Thank you for your response. I genuinely appreciate your feedback. I didn't mean for the above to sound like it was taking away from your response. I would just like additional posts to provide a different perspective or more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
blotto geltaco said:
Most cards guys I have seen read ekg's in about 3 to 5 seconds.

I shadowed some private docs, it took them about 2 hours to go through 50 or so EKGs. But, they took their time (less chance of mistakes). Also, the 3-5 minutes that I spoke of includes dictation and other paperwork (billing).

I am glad that the guys you follow are that fast, that means I can learn to go that fast too!

Take care.

i am a first year resident at baylor and i am interested in cardiology. i myself am debating between invasive and non-invasive cardiology. in the next ten years or so, i believe that cardiac ct and cardiac mri will become major players as a diagnostic tool. and most likely (and hopefully) it will stay in cardiology and not radiology. i think their will be major diversity in the future from just echo, ekgs, and stress test.