Life after podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FALL06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to be a troll but I'd like to get some positive and negative feedback from some podiatry school graduates and where you guys see things going. How does the market look? Are we out of luck without a 3yr surgical residency? Are starting salaries reasonable with the student loan debt? I plan on starting at Scholl this coming fall and look forward to some of your responses. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be a troll but I'd like to get some positive and negative feedback from some podiatry school graduates and where you guys see things going. How does the market look? Are we out of luck without a 3yr surgical residency? Are starting salaries reasonable with the student loan debt? I plan on starting at Scholl this coming fall and look forward to some of your responses. Thanks

good choice of schools. I have met many smarties from scholl. they also have lots of money for research and student council endeavors.

What do you mean "out of luck with a 3 year surgical residency"?

If you work hard and learn what you need to and more - read, read, read...
you will do fine and get a good job (most likely).

If you hear anyone say things like "you don't need to know that" or "you just gonna be a pod, why do you need or want to know this" ignore them or explain that you will be a doctor and surgeon and a 1st year resident similar to an Intern and do need to know how to be a "real doctor" it is in your patient's best interest.

Reactions: 1 user

We have a few practicing doctors that frequent the forum. Hopefully, they will be willing to give you some insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
As the other author said, work hard in school and I'm sure things will work out fine. I am finishing my third year of residency and had my job lined up in Nov 2006. I had 4 or so to choose from and am very happy with the options I had. That being said I started to look for a job about 7 years ago. I'm not even kidding. You have to figure out early what you want and start making contacts. I know of residents who wait till the last minute (April May or June) to look for a job. Not always their fault (residency can be very busy at times). But in all honesty you need to develop a game plan and have fall back plans. By the way next year I'm making 110k with 7k in yearly student loan debt (30 years but hey who's counting).

As the other author said, work hard in school and I'm sure things will work out fine. I am finishing my third year of residency and had my job lined up in Nov 2006. I had 4 or so to choose from and am very happy with the options I had. That being said I started to look for a job about 7 years ago. I'm not even kidding. You have to figure out early what you want and start making contacts. I know of residents who wait till the last minute (April May or June) to look for a job. Not always their fault (residency can be very busy at times). But in all honesty you need to develop a game plan and have fall back plans. By the way next year I'm making 110k with 7k in yearly student loan debt (30 years but hey who's counting).
It is nice to see a success story posted. Thank you for taking the time to do so. All to often, people tend to focus on the few negative posts that exist on the WWW. I've got a good friend going to the Tucson program for residency and one there now.

Quick question do you guys got paid during residency

As a practicing podiatrist (out from school since '99) I can say that things are only looking better for podiatrists. There is a generalized awareness of what podiatrist can and will do for their patients. That being said, means that life as a student is hard work and entails long hours of studying. Why? Because you are a physician and work as a part of the medical team diagnosing conditions in your patients. So welcome to a wonderful profession and good luck with your studies! :thumbup: