Coursework & Fieldwork Level 1 Fieldwork Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moogly82

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend, who is concerned that her level 1 fieldwork site at an elementary school is not giving her proper OT exposure. Her main reasoning is that she doesn't actually shadow/work with an OT and instead assists the teachers in the classrooms. I should also mention that this is a normal elementary school and most of the kids don't require any kind of OT help.

Is this normal for level 1 fieldwork? To me, it seems like she's paying $30,000+ to be a teaching assistant without learning how to be an OT.

Members don't see this ad.

Level I (1) fieldwork does not need to be under an occupational therapist but Level II (2) does. Across my level Is, I had a mixture of sites with and without OT. Level I main purpose is exposure to the people and to understand what their needs are. Level II is where the clinical skills are establish. Your girlfriend should get to know the elementary school site and think in what way can it be better. Occupational therapy is being able to understand the person, environment, and activity.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the response. Just wondering what the norm was.

Depends on the program and their connections in their community. I had all my level Is under an occupational therapist in a hospital or medical setting.