Letters of recommendation from non-DDS/DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianBoiii

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what's everyone's take on having letters of recommendation from a non-dentist faculty member for specialty programs? I did research this past summer and worked extensively with two professors, one of which is a DDS but the other is a pure researcher (doesn't have a DDS/DMD but researches within Faculty of Dentistry). Should I consider her an appropriate/strong reference?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ideal for OMFS is 5 strong OMFS letters, followed by 4, followed by 3… etc

Heck if you had a senator or someone unique that could write about you I think that would be neat

OMFS, but also curious if you had a take on other specialties like peds or ortho?
An OMFS program director told me that he doesn't read a letter that isn't written by an OMFS. Everyone that writes you a letter will have good things to say about you, but only an OMFS will be able to assess if you have what it takes to make it through residency as they are the only ones who have been through it.

Other specialties, I know of classmates/friends matching with a wide variety of LORs, however should probably have a core group of letters from the given specialty

Reactions: 1 user
Sure!
A LOR from a somebody you helped do research with is a good idea, especially if you got something published.

(Just don't have LOR's from 4 pure science PhD's and 1 LOR from a DMD/DDS.)