letters of rec for residency/ERAS....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many letters of rec are required for residency programs? I know that we get a Deans letter. How many letters besides that one are needed?

Do programs vary substantially in their letter requirements or is it pretty much uniform? Do they want only letters from people in that specialty? Does it have to the specialty director at your institution or just a regular attending in that specialty?

Are LOR an ERAS requirement or is it the programs that set the LOR requirements? do you send the letters to ERAS or is it like med school where you have to send LOR to each program?

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs require three LORs. While you're usually better off with all/most of them being from academic attendings in the field of your application, some fields actually want a letter from someone outside of your field. You should try to get letters from the chair of the department, the program director, and any notable faculty who know you. LORs are scanned into ERAS by your Dean's office, which makes life very easy for you.

three is usually the magic number, and maxheadroom is pretty on point -- go for the dept chair, and a couple of others.

make sure you ask your recommenders "Can you write me a good letter of recommendation" I can't tell you how many LORs I read when i did med school and now residency admissions that were just absolute crap -- they mentioned nothing useful about the applcant. Get faculty who know you were well, and whom you think, at least in your institution, carry some clout to write the letter...but again, make sure they can make it a good letter or strong letter. good letters can make the difference between interview not interview, or even rank high or low.

When you register for ERAS, you will be able to print "cover sheets" for each of your letter writers. You will give this to them (or their secretary) when you ask for a LOR (you will write in your AAMC ID #) and then the letter writer (or secretary) will get it submitted through ERAS. It will eventually appear electronically on ERAS and you can designate it to any program that you want.

The cover sheet asks you to sign to give up the right to view the letter- you don't have to sign it, and to be honest, I don't know how important this is to programs. I agree with the other advice on asking people for letters- I approached mine with "I'd really appreciate it if you would write a letter for me, but if you are too busy, I completely understand." I felt that this gave them an easy way to get out of it without feeling like they offended me.

Interesting to me, at one of my interviews, the program gave a folder with all the letters in it, so I got to read them anyways. I mention this because they all said stuff along the lines of "I have worked with F.C. and she would make a great surgeon because..." Though since you are applying to relatively similar programs this may not be a problem, but let's say if you were applying to surgery and peds, it'd look really odd if one of the peds programs got a letter stating what a great surgeon you would be.

Most programs want 3 LOR's + the Dean's letter. The chairman is a good choice as well as anyone in the department who may be widely known. If you know anyone in the current graduating class who is going into your specialty they may know of someone who writes particularly good letters as well.

Isn't anyone at your school explaining the whole process to you? Usually there is someone in a dean's office who knows all about the process and can help you with any details like thisl.

LOR is separate from the deans letter.

Make sure you check that your letters arrive. One of my writers, when asked, said "yes, absolutely, I'd be happy to write you a letter. Bring in your data and I'll write it immediately". When I brought my stuff (transcript, step 1 socre, personal statement), he said, "I'll write it tomorrow". But I didn't check the ERAS to see if it had been scanned in, until i got an interview offer saying which also said a LOR was missing and to have it by interview. Unfortuately, this faculty member was at a place I visited in a different part of the country, so it was pretty difficult to follow up. Fortuantely, I had enough other letters. You can get as many letters as you want, and send different combinations to different programs.

The dean's letter seems like a much bigger deal than it is. NO ONE did anything more than give my deans letter a cursory glance during interviews.

You'll have to check with each program (usually info on their web site) to see exact requirements...and from whom they should be (ie should they all be from that field, is a chairman's letter required, etc). If you are applying to a field in which the chair at your institution is well known, you better have a letter from the chair or people will wonder what is wrong with you.

How do you get to know the chairmen good enough for LOR? There are over a hundred med students in the class, do every single one of them do research with their respective specialty's chairman or something? That seems kinda impractical.

Do you just arrange to meet with him a few times and explain your interest in the field? Usually the chairman himself doesnt teach you on the 3rd/4th year clinical rotations so its not like getting a LOR from a teacher who has had you in class.

Also, some people mentioned about applying to 2 different specialties. I definitely want to control which programs get which LORs. For example, I want to make sure that rad onc program A gets letter #1, but I want to make absolutely sure that they DONT get letter #2 (relating to a different specialty). Do I have a lot of control over this? Or is it prone to screw up and every program gets all the LORs, even though some of them were not meant to be seen by the other specialty? Can I control that by the ERAS website or does ERAS just send all the LORs out en masse?

You designate which letters go to which programs. I had five letters scanned into ERAS as a platics applicant with GSurg backup. So i sent Plastics letters #1 and #2 along with a letter from a Burn Unit to plastics programs. I send GSurg letters #1 and #2 along with the Burn letter to GSurg programs. You do the same with your personal statement. In one big window on ERAS, when you're designating a program as one to apply to, you check all the LORs that you want to go to them, the Personal statement that you want to go to them, and I think you check for them to release your USMLE scores, also.

How to get to know your chairman 101:
You should have an advisor in the department by now. You might ask the chairman to be your advisor. If your advisor isn't the chairman, have your advisor introduce you after a conference or something. "Chairman X, this is medstudent Y. I'm advising him for his applications in our field. I'd like for you to get to know him, also, since he's a kick-ass student and we'd be lucky to get him to stay here." Or, take the initiative and set up a meeting with the chairman on your own. They're almost always happy to talk to you about your career. Find ways to be in their clinic/OR/reading room to demonstrate how good you are and for them to see you around.

Good luck.

Talk to the folks at your school who just matched in your target field. They will be the best source of information. No, you don't have to do research with the chair. Often doing an elective in which s/he serves as attending will suffice. Maybe you don't even have to do that. Show up to conferences/grand rounds regularly. Most chairs will notice.

In my case, the chair pretty much doesn't really speak to students (or even interns). However, he will ask the residents and faculty who are familiar with our performance about us, and by doing the core clerkship and an elective at the institution where he is an attending, and showing up at conferences as much as possible, he gets to know who we are and what our performance is like. We also must make an appointment with him to get his letter, and during that time he usually engages in a nice conversation. After that, he's back to not really speaking to you. But still, he writes a killer letter and it was instrumental in my match.

Obviously, the way you need to go about getting a letter from each chair will differ by the field, institution and personality of the chairperson. That's why your most valuable resource will be people at your school (M4, interns and residents who matched in your field as well as the person in the deans office who does all the application stuff).

I agree with md03. You should definitely talk to students at your school that applied for said field in the recent years. Everything is so variable. I only worked with my chair a couple of times, and I wasn't impressed with my performance. Fortunately, my work with others in the department lead to great feedback to the chair. I wasn't even going to ask for a rec from him (given my preceived performance), but when he read my personal statement, he offered to write me a letter. I think the majority of that was simply from his collegues high view of me. But, I wont complain because he recommended me as one of the best students he's ever worked with.

Anyway, best of luck. Put your best foot forward, and try not to resort to kissing ***. Sincerity and hardwork can go along way.

There have been some great replies by some of the other posters. I'll just throw in my two cents.

Department chairs are usually distinguished physicians, who are often accomplished in patient care, research, teaching, and administration. Because their names tend to be well recognized, a strong letter of recommendation written by the chairman on your behalf can do wonders for your residency application.

One of the first questions you should ask yourself is whether you need a chairman's letter. Some specialties require a chairman's letter to be a part of your application while others have no such requirement.

If a letter of recommendation is needed from the department chair, then the next step is to make efforts to secure a strong letter of recommendation. Although some students may have had the opportunity to work with the chair in some capacity (clerkship, research), many students may not have had a chance to interact with the chair. If the latter is the case, students often wonder how the chair could possibly write a strong letter of recommendation. If you find yourself in this position, you need to make some efforts to get to know the department chair. As soon as you are sure of the specialty you want to go into (or even before you are sure), it's a good idea to set up an appointment with the department chair. At this appointment, you can introduce yourself and your interest in making the specialty your career. You can then set the groundwork for future appointments. You can also try to be visible to the chair at other times (e.g., grand rounds, conferences). These interactions will help the chair get to know you.

The key to securing a strong letter of recommendation from such an individual is to make sure that they get to know you. As a general rule, department chairs tend to be less effusive in their letters of support, especially if they don't know you well. That's not to say they won't write a good letter for someone that they don't know well but there is a difference between a good letter and a great letter. A great letter of recommendation includes specific examples about you. Letters with this sort of information are much more effective and powerful than letters that simply reiterate your accomplishments from your CV or just praise you. Details often convince the reader that the praise is actually true. It's difficult to secure this type of letter from a chair if he or she doesn't know you very well.

In one of the above posts, the question came up about whether or not to ask the chair to be your advisor. You should certainly consider the chair as a possible advisor because he or she has reached the pinnacle in the specialty and is likely to be well respected. But if the chair is away at a meeting every other week and is not accessible to you, it doesn't do you a lot of good.

Hope this helps,

Samir Desai, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine