Let's talk about MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washkeep

ProudFieldFairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone considering MD/MPH? Anyone an MD/MPH? The more I learn about it, the more I want to do it.... well you know what I mean. Any helpful advice? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep... I plan on dooing my MPH... It's a wonderful tool as a physiican....

Same here, I have always wanted to pursue an MPH so doing this while in medical school will be fun although it will set us back one year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by washkeep
Anyone considering MD/MPH? Anyone an MD/MPH? The more I learn about it, the more I want to do it.... well you know what I mean. Any helpful advice? THANKS!
I'm in a dual-degree program right now. The MPH is well worth the extra effort; even if you do nothing else with it (though I intend to), it will add a context to the career in which you will likely spend the rest of your life that your medical education will not. And given the rapidly changing face of medicine, it's useful to know what's going on and what you'll be stepping into when you graduate.

Is it hard to get into the MPH part of a MD program? I am already accepted into a med school and I am applying to their public health school for the MD/MPH degree program.

I have to complete a separate application, the only thing is that they might take my transcript from AMCAS (which is outdated considering that I sent AMCAS my transcript back in June 03 and I have taken 4 classes since so I have send them my updated transcript). I have to write an essay and send in three LOR's (this is the annoying part...why not use my AMCAS LORs?), plus they want my MCAT scores.

I am applying before March 15th for early decision so if I get accepted I can start the MPH part this summer before med school starts. I am a bit nervous though. I don't want to think that because I got into the MD school, I would automatically qualify for the MPH program.
I am sitting here thinking "what if they reject me?".:wow: :wow:

I am currently finishing up my MPH right now and I think its a great tool to have. I pretty much did my program in a year to a year and a half and most of it was while I was applying to medical schools. Just the information on our health systems, epi, finance, administration, litigation, and learning about the ins and outs of medicare/medicaid make it well worth knowing as a future physician.

Hey BushBaby, i was wondering the same thing. So you're applying early decision.. or are you already in, i'm confused? I am also curious about the early decision process. Anyways, good luck!

Originally posted by washkeep
Hey BushBaby, i was wondering the same thing. So you're applying early decision.. or are you already in, i'm confused? I am also curious about the early decision process. Anyways, good luck!

I am already accepted into the MD program. I want to start the MPH part this summer (a few months before MD kicks in) but to be eligible for summer school, I have to be accepted under the "early decision" application and the deadline for that is march 15th.
I am applying for early decision, I just have to wait a few more weeks to get to know my current professor a bit more so he can write me a LOR (they need a LOR from at least one faculty...I'll get the other two from my job).

Originally posted by BushBaby
Is it hard to get into the MPH part of a MD program? I am already accepted into a med school and I am applying to their public health school for the MD/MPH degree program.

From what I've heard, if you're already accepted to med school you're a shoe-in for the MPH.