Less competitive ophtho residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxthing

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if there are any ophthalmology programs that are considered less competitive relative to the average program? I have a friend who is interested in the specialty but did not perform as well as they would have liked on Step 1, and we attend a low-tier Midwest medical school without an ophthalmology department.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they exist. There are a few that are more competitive but the rest are competitive. Even the worst residency in the country is competitive. (I think there is no single worst program).

I heard that ENT, which used to be more competitive than ophthalmology, is now less competitive than ophthalmology. Those in ENT are our brothers and sisters. We used to be one specialty, EENT up until the 1950's and a few stragglers in the 1960's.

Depending on the step score, I do not think that your friend is out of the ophtho game. If he wants to do ophtho, he should take a year off for research, work his tail off, get a couple of publications, get good letters, and apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the step score, I do not think that your friend is out of the ophtho game. If he wants to do ophtho, he should take a year off for research, work his tail off, get a couple of publications, get good letters, and apply.
what step score would be exclusionary in your opinion, just curious?

what step score would be exclusionary in your opinion, just curious?

<220 except in extreme circumstances. <230 is a practical cutoff unless the person is willing to risk starting PGY1 or PGY2 1-2 years behind their peers while they try to match. There are certainly dozens of exceptions, but those are probably good general numbers.

To Twoeyes, ENT is probably more competitive than ophtho, if anything, per my personal experience and the published statistics (Step 1, match rate, percentage of AOA membership).

Not that it truly matters but I'd agree with Twoeyes and say ophtho is probably slightly more competitive than ENT. ENT has higher step 1 average by a few points but the match rate is absurdly high >90-95% in comparison to ophtho. I don't think data for percentage of AOA membership exists for ophtho in recent years.

Both are extremely competitive - it's highly debatable. Regardless, if your friend scored between 230-240, there's a good shot. You may land 5-9 interviews. Probably wise to do 3 or more aways to increase your odds. If your friend scored between 220-230, there's a fair shot. I'd say you could land between 3-6 interviews and hope for the best. Again aways for people in this score range will help. Aways especially at less desirable locations and lower tier residency programs.

Of course there's other factors in play. Number of pubs, LORs, and honors in IM/surgery will put you in the higher range of potential interviews for that certain step score.

PM me if you have any questions!