LED headlight options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triathlete107

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with using an LED headlight as opposed to the standard fiberoptic ones and have recommendations? Figured it would be nice to not have to drag the cable around behind me or having the circulator chase me while switching sides of the table.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have experience with using an LED headlight as opposed to the standard fiberoptic ones and have recommendations? Figured it would be nice to not have to drag the cable around behind me or having the circulator chase me while switching sides of the table.

I recently got the standard Surgitel LED to go with a new pair of loupes. I'm happy with it. Definitely less cumbersome than the standard headlight, and easy to switch on to a pair of standard safety glasses when I'm not using loupes. Not as good as a regular headlight, but works well enough.

If money wasn't an object and I was going to keep the headband style, I probably would have demoed the Ronin X6.

The hospitals I work at all have battery pack operated head lamps. They are much brighter than the fiber optic ones as the cables on those all get bent and broken. I have a fiber optic one in my office, but it's treated much nicer, so works fine. The only thing to be aware of for the battery pack ones is if you have a long case you'll run out of juice before the end. The circulating nurse should be aware of where more batteries can be found.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use the DFV daylight. Its bright enough for cardiac

Agree with waiting to see what your hospital has. I thought about buying the orascoptic light, but my hospital has good battery operated ones so it wasn’t worth it.

My hospital is going to need to buy me a battery powered one when I get there. Recommendations? Money is pretty much not an object for these guys. Saw the Ronin X6, will ask.

Is this something I demo first or just buy?

My hospital is going to need to buy me a battery powered one when I get there. Recommendations? Money is pretty much not an object for these guys. Saw the Ronin X6, will ask.

Is this something I demo first or just buy?
Ask the hospital who they use for the sort of thing. Then have the rep come in and let you see some different options. Then you can settle on one or two to trial. They want your business. Make sure you get the one you want.

New job is gonna get me a Ronin X6 for my personal use. Thanks for the recommendation.

Pretty excited, not gonna lie. Hoping this will significantly address the headache issue of the corded lights.

Reactions: 2 users
New job is gonna get me a Ronin X6 for my personal use. Thanks for the recommendation.

Pretty excited, not gonna lie. Hoping this will significantly address the headache issue of the corded lights.
Since I wear loupes for pretty much every case I need a headlight for, I went with one on my loupes. Otherwise would have gone with Ronin X6. Godspeed. Your neck will thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know of an off brand headlight you can buy for cheap during residency that is somewhere in the ballpark of comparison to Ronin light?

Anyone know of an off brand headlight you can buy for cheap during residency that is somewhere in the ballpark of comparison to Ronin light?
Nothing. My X6 is *chef’s kiss*.

Seriously though we used some ghetto camping headlights in the Dominican Republic and it just doesn’t work. The ronin headlights are actually usually cheaper than the ortho lights, I forget the name, but more comfortable. You’re probably stuck using a corded headlight in residency unfortunately unless you want to spend massive dollars which doesn’t make sense unless you’re doing monster open surgery in big holes (HPB/onco) or big vascular. Most other operations you almost never need it in residency. Typical bowel surgery it’s not needed, open colectomies/gallbladders etc unnecessary and tons of things are lap or robot.

I only used a headlight for thyroid and para and it was probably not necessary in residency.

I think you have to consider how and where you use it.

I have a new Ronin X6, which is ridiculously bright (I usually set it on 4 out of 10 or it's too bright at times and chews the battery power up) but it is kind of heavy and fragile and would not do well taking it around at a hospital. I leave that out my desk at the office which is 10 yards from my OR. It's truly a best in class product, but it's got more parts that can break down (fan) and you have to baby it. I've found that set to brightness of 4 the small battery pack (you can pick a larger one, but it's REALLY heavy) lasts me nearly 7+ hours. I would not reccomend the larger battery for that reason

OTOH I have a very light and fanless headlight from Vorotek which I've had for 12 years that is almost indestructible and easily lasts all day (I've had the same battery for 12 years!). It's nowhere near as bright, but its certainly good enough for any open general surgery/ENT/Plastics case except the deepest and tightest of holes and so portable that it's a much better choice if I have to take one to the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude the robots light is just built into the camera.