LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question... I'm living in Royal Villa next year.. I have to get internet and whatnot. What do you older students suggest? I plan on looking at Time Warner and DirectTV to find the cheapest deal, but didn't know if you guys had advice. :) Thanks!
I haven't had a TV for the past two years, I just use bit torrent to download any TV shows I want to watch. I've watched allot of crap over these last two years including all 11 seasons of Frasier and a few seasons of Law & Order, L&O SVU

Members don't see this ad.

If I wanna watch any shows, I hit up one of the four online sites I know that host tv shows. It works well because I can study for awhile and then take a meal break and watch a show while eating.

What are the 4 online sites? I am looking to rid myself of the ridiculous DirecTV pricing and contracts and from the sounds of it, Time Warner isn't any better.

Do you know what the listed download speed is for your DSL?
3Mbps Down/768Kbps Up - From using it for the last year, those are fairly accurate and are plenty capable of streaming video content. Cable companies are a nightmare.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the 4 online sites? I am looking to rid myself of the ridiculous DirecTV pricing and contracts and from the sounds of it, Time Warner isn't any better.

I know of hulu.com and fancast.com - these link to network websites usually and there are brief commercials.

surfthechannel.com and quicksilverscreen.com are good sources for movies and tv shows

3Mbps Down/768Kbps Up - From using it for the last year, those are fairly accurate and are plenty capable of streaming video content. Cable companies are a nightmare.

Is your under $30 rate a promotion or is that the usual price? Is that after taxes and fees?

Is your internet speed fairly consistent? I have TimeWarner now in Cleveland, and I'm supposed to get 7Mbps and sometimes its more like 56kbps-2Kbps.

Hulu.com, surfthechannel.com, tv.blinkx.com, ninjavideo.net. I like ninja video the most because the shows get posted there the fasted of the 4. Also they usually have all the seasons and episodes of the shows they list. They don't have as many shows as surfthechannel though.

hi everyone,

i will be going on rotations and need to sell some of my furniture. If anyone is interested please let me know. Prices are negotiable: futon, bookcase, queen bed, tv (less than a year old)

Is your under $30 rate a promotion or is that the usual price? Is that after taxes and fees?

Is your internet speed fairly consistent? I have TimeWarner now in Cleveland, and I'm supposed to get 7Mbps and sometimes its more like 56kbps-2Kbps.
It's exactly $29.99 every month. I don't recall it being a promotion, but I div have to agree to subscribe for a year, which wasn't a problem. Setup and the modem were both free. The speeds for DSL are constant. Unlike cable networks, which share bandwidth in the immediate neighborhood, you get an allocated 3Mbps/768Kbps constant connection with DSL. It won't fluctuate and get bogged when your neighbor is downloading crap for days on end like cable.

I just wanted to let you guys know the booklist for the fall is posted. I'm not sure if you can access it yet but all of the books I listed previously for the anatomy core are the exact same ones you need. Nothing has changed.

Here's the book list for next year (anatomy only). Like I said before, check with previous students, amazon, half.com, etc. to see if you can get a better deal. Again, embryo and histo were not really used at all.

Attachments

• LDP_1_anatomy.xls
    110 KB · Views: 314
Members don't see this ad :)
Histo book could be used for starting a fire

Of that list,
1. Which Atlas would you recommend getting?
2. Which of the "recommended reviews" do you think are useful?
3. Anything not on the list that you'd suggest as a supplement?
4. Anything other than histo/embryo would you say not to waste money on?

once you got your picture taken, do you get your id on the spot? and if you do, can you start using the wellness center even before school starts?

I didn't get my ID on the spot. Can't say about the wellness center.

Of that list,

Anatomy : Netter's - check to see if you still get a free atlas with SOMA membership

Recommended Review : BRS - good concise review with lots of good questions

Supplements : none - your lecture notes are more than enough

Other money wasters : Generally you don't need the micro book (get Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple instead), biochem book (get Lippincott Biochem or Rapid Review Biochem), genetics book (don't need anything here), Bates' H&P (get pocket edition). Do get the other books listed. As for recommended texts, the Kuchera text is good but a must have is the Savarese book (OPP review - green book).

Also, when the time comes for H&P in the second semester (with PE), don't get a diagnostic kit from Welch-Allyn right away until you ask around and see if you can get it cheaper from an upper classman or on eBay (but be careful - ebay has some....less than ideal kits).

Anatomy : Netter's - check to see if you still get a free atlas with SOMA membership

Recommended Review : BRS - good concise review with lots of good questions

Supplements : none - your lecture notes are more than enough

Other money wasters : Generally you don't need the micro book (get Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple instead), biochem book (get Lippincott Biochem or Rapid Review Biochem), genetics book (don't need anything here), Bates' H&P (get pocket edition). Do get the other books listed. As for recommended texts, the Kuchera text is good but a must have is the Savarese book (OPP review - green book).

Also, when the time comes for H&P in the second semester (with PE), don't get a diagnostic kit from Welch-Allyn right away until you ask around and see if you can get it cheaper from an upper classman or on eBay (but be careful - ebay has some....less than ideal kits).
Caveat: These recommendations are for LDP students

Netter for lab
Rohen for good review of actual cadavers for the practicals.

BRS Gross Anatomy is key. Don't get the Gray's review.

The notes are your best bet. Also they will put supplemental material on the portal that is helpful. The UMich site and the Acland videos are a great source. You will get access to the videos and site once you get here. Take advantage of the SOSA anatomy practice practicals. They are pretty helpful

Don't get the physio book. Get BRS physio. Don't buy the OPP books. If you don't plan on bringing your books every time to lab, then it's a waste of time to buy them. The OMT Review by Savarese is all you will need to do well. That and the lecture notes

Also, take to me and other 2nd years when you arrive to get helpful tips on doing well.

once you got your picture taken, do you get your id on the spot? and if you do, can you start using the wellness center even before school starts?

You get your ID at orientation. You can't start using the Wellness center until the week before school starts. You will have to do a fitness assessment before you can start using the gym but that only takes about 10 minutes to do.

Of that list,
Rohens - Your lectures will have enough netters pictures.
BRS anatomy, and Gray's Review, but only do the Gray's if you're looking for more problems after finishing BRS anatomy.
Not for Anatomy

The DiGiovanni OPP textbook. Probably don't need the atlas either if you join UAAO (which you should). When they'll tell you at the beginning of the year that they require you to have the books in lab and they'll check you - They lie. 100% lie. Also btw if they tell you you can only use cotton shorts and not mesh-polyester BB shorts, LIES.

Don't buy the Biochem textbook (I liked BRS-biochem, lippincotts is too dense, might as well get the textbook). Don't buy the human sexuality book, don't buy any books for neuro other than the lab manual, no books for MSK.

I'd recommend getting the phys book just because the physiology professors here are so bad that you'll end up having to attempt to learn it on your own.

Yeah.

I thought the phys book was one of the most worthless pieces of crap. It's not really written for med students. It's more written for phys Ph.D. students. Plus the authors love to change the font style halfway through a page. I didn't read a single thing from that phys book. I studied BRS phys and the notes and I got a mid B. All the second years I've talked to that are LDP say not to waste time on the phys textbook and just focus on BRS. Another thing is we don't know how the phys dept will be next year because one of the profs left to do clinical research in Philadelphia. So things may be different next year.

The biochem book was really good. It's not too in depth and covers a lot of clinical stuff. I read about half of it for the first test we had but then couldn't read anymore because we ramped up our classes so I didn't have time. For pharm, I like Lippincott's pharm much better than the textbook. I also used Goljan Rapid Review Path for systems. Basically, I study the class notes, then do BRS/Lippincotts/Goljan and then go to First Aid to get the high yield stuff. I do FA the Saturday before the test so I will be doing it today. I go through FA and annotate anything I think will help me remember for boards or I high light. I also have First Aid for Organ Systems which is a much more in depth review of each system and I also go through that with my FA.

E-books - Medical - A Plethora - Gratis!

I think its an asian website. Wildly useful. Wildly.
I bought a rapidshare premium membership last night just so I could indulge.

Posts consist of a link to a textbook in PDF (such as Tinitalli Emergency Medicine) and then page upon page of thank yous. Pretty cool.

Thank you Dr. Fouly!

E-books - Medical - A Plethora - Gratis!

I think its an asian website. Wildly useful. Wildly.
I bought a rapidshare premium membership last night just so I could indulge.

Posts consist of a link to a textbook in PDF (such as Tinitalli Emergency Medicine) and then page upon page of thank yous. Pretty cool.

Thank you Dr. Fouly!

Damn. That site is a potential goldmine of resources.

Just Finished year 2...looking to sell/give away some items:

Queen mattress and Box spring (Denver Mattress Steamboat)--$200 (or best offer)
Green Recliner--Free
Solid teak wood desk--$100 (or best offer)
Office Chair--$30 (or best offer)
Washer/Dryer--$150 each (or best offer)
Glass Coffee Table--Free
Futon--Free

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39124935@N05/sets/72157624095155328/

Send me a message if your interested

LECOM Class of 2012

Why must schools make a brand freaking new textbook the required book? The required physio book isn't even being released until mid june. I think I'll just get the 11th ed instead of the 12th. How much different could it really be?

Why must schools make a brand freaking new textbook the required book? The required physio book isn't even being released until mid june. I think I'll just get the 11th ed instead of the 12th. How much different could it really be?
Wait till you get here to figure out what books you'll need. The list is exhaustive and you won't need them all.

Wait till you get here to figure out what books you'll need. The list is exhaustive and you won't need them all.
I'm a third year med student leaving Erie to go on rotations but I've got all my stuff that I used when I was here. Trying to sell it because I could use the cash and I don't feel like hauling this stuff around with me when I leave. I'd like to sell everything as a set but I'll sell also sell things individually. If you want the set It'll be 1K all you have to do is come by and pick it up. I'm not leaving till mid july so no rush. But if yo don't want to have the hassle to going out and buying everything from different stores this is your once stop shop for your new apartment.

2 Desks, Office chair, duplex laser printer, paper shredder, 2 book shelves, lots of books, full sized bed with mattress topper, night stand, dresser, space heater, window fan

does anyone know the deal with the bookstore tab on portal? I just interviewed and have no idea if i'm rejected, accepted or waitlisted- I figured the tab shows up for everyone with a portal account but i've been in freakout mode stalking the mailman haha anyways I was just curious if everyone had the bookstore tab or only waitlisted/accepted students?

Holy Wow-- book list (specifically the one titled Core Fall Semester). Any current students please advise - when do we need to get all of these? Is there anything we definitely need on day 1 (I'm sure anatomy text and atlas?)? What can wait until later? What should we not waste money on?

Last edited:
You don't need any books on Day 1. They'll give you powerpoints.

Of that list,

I used both netters and grays they just present the same info in different ways
I don't know what you mean by recommended reviews
I would get a copy of BRS physio & anatomy

Don't get Bates' Guide to Physical Examination, Immune System, Medical Microbiology and Guyton and Hall, probably get by without them. If you do need them they have copies in the library and you can always buy a copy at a later date so save your cash up front.

Osteopathic Approach by DiGiovanna may or may not be helpful, probably get by without it. I think I opened it up less than 5 times this entire year

Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, eh... its a good book but probably don't need it if you are in LDP

Mostly what you are tested on is what is in the powerpoint slides, other than that you'll use the text to clarify what you need to know.

Really good book to get is Robbins path but you won't need that till the spring. Top notch but the first time you open it you'll be like WTF

Dorland’s Illustrated Dictionary & Stedman’s Medical Dictionary - don't waste your time on these over priced paperweights

Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques - this is an excellent book... GET IT

Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, Physical Examination of the Spine & Extremities & Osteopathic Principles in Practice - skip... you can use these books as kindling for a fireplace.

Hope that helps for now. I remember two years ago when I was an incoming first year... oh how time has flew Glad it is over

Roll Call. Who among us will be attending LECOM c/o 2014?
I happily got the news that I can count myself as one!

I will be in LDP. I just signed a lease on an apartment in Laurel springs... anyone else in the c/o 2014 know they are living there?

Configuring a mac is just the school writing down your serial number, they don't do anything else with it. When I got a new mac partway though my first semester I didn't even take it to the IT dept to get "configured"

Despite the disdain that the IT dept shows towards mac's at least 10-20% of the class have Mac's and I've used nothing but a Mac while here at LECOM. You will not have any problems

ohhh thank goodness!! I lovee Macs and HATE PCs I was soo sad at the prospect that I would have to leave my beautiful mac behind and purchase a PC. I am soo happy to hear that! :D

Hey I was just wondering about OPP classes.. do you really have to go topless/sportsbra and shorts every time you are in the class? I am having anxiety about this because I am not the skinniest of people and have always struggled with body image my whole life! The idea of stripping down in front of a bunch of people has me panicked! Please tell me it's not that bad! :scared:

Hey I was just wondering about OPP classes.. do you really have to go topless/sportsbra and shorts every time you are in the class? I am having anxiety about this because I am not the skinniest of people and have always struggled with body image my whole life! The idea of stripping down in front of a bunch of people has me panicked! Please tell me it's not that bad! :scared:

Well mostly when you work on the thoracic/lumbar region, when you work on the extremities and the head/neck there really isn't any reason to. Also don't get anxious, many people feel the same way, you won't be alone

hey guys

for you guys getting loans, did you just go through the feds or did anyone opt for private. im shopping around and starting to think sallie Mae is a pretty good option . any thoughts or if you already took care of loans, what did u do?

hey guys

for you guys getting loans, did you just go through the feds or did anyone opt for private. im shopping around and starting to think sallie Mae is a pretty good option . any thoughts or if you already took care of loans, what did u do?

With the new health care bill they included student loan reform. All loans are now through the federal government.

No....but you can sign up for note service for a fee and they will print out lecture notes for you every day and email you the scribe notes (additional info that the professor adds for each lecture).

Do the professors distribute their powerpoints digitally? If so, how and when? I'd love to go all digital with my notetaking but I haven't heard anything about this yet. In college we always had something like blackboard with the lectures posted there to download beforehand.

is there free printing at LECOM?

there is no free printing at LECOM.
you can scan things and email them to yourself in the library.

and if you want to have printed out notes for class to write on, i would suggest getting the noteservice.

Do the professors distribute their powerpoints digitally? If so, how and when? I'd love to go all digital with my notetaking but I haven't heard anything about this yet. In college we always had something like blackboard with the lectures posted there to download beforehand.

the class powerpoints are available on the portal. you probably cant see anything there yet, but it will be explained to you.
most people bring their laptops to class and take notes straight on the powerpoint.
although many prefer to take notes on paper. and some people do both, since sometimes the professors start drawing and unless you have a special drawing pad for your computer, its just easier to draw with and pen and paper.

Holy Wow-- book list (specifically the one titled Core Fall Semester). Any current students please advise - when do we need to get all of these? Is there anything we definitely need on day 1 (I'm sure anatomy text and atlas?)? What can wait until later? What should we not waste money on?

i would definitely get the anatomy atlas and book right away. the other ones you have a lot of time to think about whether you want them or not. and the BRS book for anatomy was very helpful.

you dont need your school ID to use the wellness center. they give you a little tag to put on your keys. So you can get that done (just set an appt with them) before you even take care of the school ID.

I got in off the waitlist! Just wanted to say what's up to my new classmates. Anything I missed?

I will be in LDP. I just signed a lease on an apartment in Laurel springs... anyone else in the c/o 2014 know they are living there?

signed my lease as well a few weeks ago. me and my fiance are driving out from cali in exactly two weeks. also i'm LDP.

Hey,
I am still on the waiting list and have been for about a little over a month now. I was just wondering how you heard that you were off of the waitlist? Did you receive an e-mail, letter in the mail, or phone call?

I got in off the waitlist! Just wanted to say what's up to my new classmates. Anything I missed?

this is what i meant to reply to, sorry I have no idea how to use this website! yeah so my question was, how did you hear about getting off of the waitlist?

signed my lease as well a few weeks ago. me and my fiance are driving out from cali in exactly two weeks. also i'm LDP.

Congratulations! I am also LDP. Driving out to see Erie, or to move? Kind of early to move down there? Trust me, spend as much time in California as you can before coming to Erie.

I am living in Laurel Ridge- next to the school - so I will be across the street...