LECOM-Bradenton Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTKpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone is as excited as I am to be a part of the LECOM-B c/o 2016!! I can't wait to meet everyone. Congrats guys, we are going to be doctors!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on getting in to LECOM. I am looking at applying there in the next few months and I am curious as to how your grades and MCAT scores were. Did you have any previous medical experience?

My GPA is 3.79 (biochemistry major) and my MCAT is a 26. My dad is a MD so I have always been around medicine. I have also worked (and will continue to work until I move for school) as an orderly on the OR. It has been almost 3 years since I started. I mostly observe but occasionally I scrub in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided yesterday to accept the admission offer for Bradenton! I'll see you around next year.

When you accepted, what all did you turn in? I was reading through the matriculation agreement and it was talking about getting a physical, background check, immunization records, etc but I thought I remember being told you only need the signed agreement and of course a check for 1500. I was going to call, but I might as well ask you what you did ;)

It is such a load off to finally be able to say to myself "yes, I will for sure be a doctor..."

Congrats!! I just sent in the signed form and deposit. I assume they will stay in contact with us for the rest of the materials. Where are you from?

Congrats to you all for getting in! Enjoy this time and take some time off before you start to do something fun for yourself, you will be glad you did.

Just wanted to say and hi and there's a few of us who current and former students who poke in and out of here and can answer questions that may come up. So feel free to ask.

Thanks both of you! I'll be coming from Utah.

Hello all! Got accepted in August. Currently finishing undergrad at BYU and work as an EKG tech. Stoked to start at LECOM-Bradenton!

Looks like there are two of us from BYU then. What's your major and when do you graduate?

Wow, that's a long way from FL! I'm from Tennessee and went to school at UT (the real UT, lol). We should also start a facebook group...this forum is a little impersonal.

hey guys, congrats on getting accepted to lecom. let me know if you have any questions about 1st yr. we just finished anatomy last wk!!!

Thanks Joe! I'm sure I'll have more questions over the next few months.

Yes definitely far from Utah! I'll miss the skiing but that's ok. Yeah if you start a facebook page let me know. I'm not very savvy on facebook stuff...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys Im from California, just sent in my matriculation fee the other day. Congratulations to everyone on here!

zhungarian707 eh? Tudsz magyarul? es gratualok am ugy!

Dang. Fair enough. I've spent a few years living in Hungary and picked up Hungarian while there. I spent a good amount of time in Buda actually, but also lived in Veszprem, Kecskemet and a few months in Godollo if you're familiar with the area.

Still, congrats on your acceptance!

Yeah I really wish I spoke but I have never learned. Unfortunately I haven't traveled that much outside of Budapest. I spent a day at lake balaton once but that's it.

Congratulations to you as well! I guess we will be meeting in person in less than a year

hi guys, congrats on your acceptance.

Question: how long did it take LECOM-B to email you whether or not you are getting an interview after you submit your secondary? It's been almost a couple weeks for me, and I am getting a little nervous! Thanks

Hey guys! I am on the wait list, but I hear they go pretty deep into that and I'm hoping to get in! I have been accepted to Erie and AZCOM but I think I like Bradenton better. Any advice on making the move from wait list to acceptance?

Hey guys! I am on the wait list, but I hear they go pretty deep into that and I'm hoping to get in! I have been accepted to Erie and AZCOM but I think I like Bradenton better. Any advice on making the move from wait list to acceptance?

Hey, congrats. I don't have any secret admissions knowledge, but I know they're really big on PBL and want people that are enthusiastic about it. If it's really not for you, you won't do well. So, if you're sure Bradenton is #1, you might consider sending a letter of intent and explaining why you're so well suited for PBL. If you had any circumstances in undergrad that forced you to learn the material on your own, any projects for which you had to be self-directed, etc - now's the time to make sure they know it.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I'll see you down there next year!

Hi! I wanted to see if anyone has been accepted from the alternate list? And if so, what did you do between the time you made the list and when you were accepted i.e. additional letters, letter of interest??

I was invited to interview in the second week of January, interviewed on 1/23/12, and was accepted to LECOM-B on 1/25/12! That was fast! I'll see you all there!

Hi, I received acceptance to LECOM-B dental school and being the first class I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the med students on PBL and how you feel about it. I am a little confused on the way they give exams because in my interview we had medical students answer questions (my group was late bc the interview took so long) and one student told me that one exam could cover up to 50 chapters on different subjects. So, does this mean that microbiology and other subjects like physiology are all tested in the same exam? And since there are no lectures, does the facilitator (I believe that's what they called him/her) of each group tell you what will be covered on the exam? How do you know otherwise? I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with these questions. Thank You! Feel free to describe the curriculum of basic sciences as much as you like. lol thanks again!

Hi, I received acceptance to LECOM-B dental school and being the first class I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the med students on PBL and how you feel about it. I am a little confused on the way they give exams because in my interview we had medical students answer questions (my group was late bc the interview took so long) and one student told me that one exam could cover up to 50 chapters on different subjects. So, does this mean that microbiology and other subjects like physiology are all tested in the same exam? And since there are no lectures, does the facilitator (I believe that's what they called him/her) of each group tell you what will be covered on the exam? How do you know otherwise? I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with these questions. Thank You! Feel free to describe the curriculum of basic sciences as much as you like. lol thanks again!

basically, the PBL group itself chooses what they will be tested on. for most pbl exams there are a few chapters of assigned reading which you will know in advance. the rest of the chapters you will pick as you progress through the pbl cases. for example, if you had a patient with a respiratory infection, it would make sense to choose a chapter on the lungs from anatomy, respiratory in histology maybe, a pharmacology chapter on antibiotics, a physiology chapter on respiration, maybe a pathology chapter on pneumonia....you get the picture. every group will choose different topics depending on what that discuss from the case. you may read 20 chapters during a case, but at the end of the case you select maybe 5 core topics the group thinks are essential to understanding the case to be tested on. you do this for several cases and then each group has takes the test based on the chapters they chose. the facilitator does not comment on what particular chapters you should read or be tested on- thats entirely up to the group. our last test covered about 30 chapters but we only have 2-3 pbl tests per semester.

Thank you so much! It's a lot more clear now. Best of luck in your studies!

What percent of your grade comes from the facilitator grading the people in the group? How much say does the facilitator have in influencing your grade?

Just got accepted! Can't wait to start in July!

Just got accepted! Can't wait to start in July!

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted into LECOM-B class of 2016!!!:laugh:

I applied to their dental school and my interview is set for April 18, 2012 (extremely late, I know, but better than nothing, I think!)

Anyway, I wanted to find out from those of you who interviewed if you could give some advice/information on how the interview went. What kinds of questions they asked...

Did you have to raise your hand to respond, or do you just wait to interject? I tend to speak up when in groups, so I feel like I may have to hold back a bit so that I do not come off as overpowering.

I know there are a lot of threads that discuss this, but I still fell a bit nervous about the interview. Also, what would the best interview attire for a female? Long, professional skirt and blouse or professional suite/ dress pants and dress shirt?

I love working in groups and I really find their PBL curriculum interesting and more effective than the traditional lecture-based style of teaching however, I am a bit concerned about how we would be tested.

Okay, enough of my rambling. I really would appreciate any advice you all may have. Thanks so much and congrats again!!