Coursework & Fieldwork Laptop Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Husky19

Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking to buy a new laptop for the upcoming school year and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for OT school? Like would it be helpful to have a touchscreen laptop? I'm really used to Macs, but they are on the expensive side and I'm not too crazy about the keyboards on the new ones. But, I am open to all recommendations! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere that tablets are nice because you can wipe them off if anything splashes on it during cadaver lab :doctor:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I heard this past week that Macbooks were going back to the more sturdy keyboards. But they are quite expensive.

For me, I've really been loyal to Dell for years and love their products. I currently own a Dell Inspiron 15-inch with a touchscreen and bought it for maybe $400. Their 2 in 1s are nice too.

Side note: personal computers qualify as a purchase you can use student loans for. Some computer companies offer student discounts too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it just depends what you're more comfortable with! At my program, we all exclusively take notes electronically, but everyone has different types of laptops/tablets that they use. Some people take notes on an ipad and write with a stylus, others of us just type normally. My only suggestion would be to have a backup of your files (like using OneNote or google docs) in case your computer crashes for any reason!

W
I read somewhere that tablets are nice because you can wipe them off if anything splashes on it during cadaver lab :doctor:
We NEVER used laptops in the cadaver lab. That’s just icky. Our school provides computers in the lab, so that it wasn’t ever an issue. And they are designed for the lab...

I started out grad school on a Lenovo yoga which was pretty good. I upgraded to an LG Gram second semester after I realized how much work we did through out the day. Our classes are sometimes 4 hours long, so I needed longer battery life. You can get the LG cheaper without touch screen.. it’s been an amazing laptop for me and it’s super lightweight.

Reactions: 1 users