Lange for CA1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burnermdaccount

Reaction score
Is Lange cover to cover a good foundation base for CA1? I'm through about 60% of it and its a good easy read but I do forget chapters as soon as I read them. I'm also finding it a little lacking on in-depth topics (i.e. pulmonary hypertension). I have Barash and I was wonder if I should out just reading chapters in that, although it is a little dense and detail-heavy.

Any CA2-3s with any advice on how to supplement Lange?

Members don't see this ad.

If you forget chapters as soon as you read them, you need to take notes and maybe do some flashcards. Repetition and more active learning is required.

I didn't read Lange as a resident. I barely read Barash or Miller or most of the other foundation textbooks.

I did read Faust from front-to-back as review, did tons of review questions from Hall and other sources and nitpicked the explanations, as well as openanesthesia which i felt is written more in tune for the clinical anesthesiologist.

The random esoteric stuff I google online. You know when you are in a long boring stable OR case...

I don't have an amazing memory but I can pick out random very specific topics even from my medical school days and talk about them at least in basic terms.

95%tile on my ITEs and 99%tile on my written boards so it worked out well for me

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is Lange cover to cover a good foundation base for CA1? I'm through about 60% of it and its a good easy read but I do forget chapters as soon as I read them. I'm also finding it a little lacking on in-depth topics (i.e. pulmonary hypertension). I have Barash and I was wonder if I should out just reading chapters in that, although it is a little dense and detail-heavy.

Any CA2-3s with any advice on how to supplement Lange?
Get yourself faust anesthesia review. Basically a one stop shop. That plus questions. Also m&m if you’re ambitious.

Also baby miller is completely useless for residency. That book is for med students.

I don't even know what lange is. I read Barash and Morgan & Mikhail

Some people call M&M "Lange" .... Which makes no sense because Lange is just the publisher. It would be like calling baby miller "Elsevier"

Reactions: 3 users
I view the “baby” books as building the foundation then looking up papers and doing the cases to get into the more advanced topics. I often go back to the baby books. It is on me to know how to apply it.

I’ve seen residents not get enough exposure to cases or not be motivated enough to read the literature, though.

To me though it all goes back to basics. Every single time. To take the routine and mundane and dissect it and analyze it - that is what I’ve seen the truly remarkable giants in the field do.