Labrum Tear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a med-school applicant this year and just got diagnised with a Labrum Tear in my left shoulder. I'm trying to get information on this as well as find out some information about the surgery from previous patients/physicians. If you guys know anything good. Let me know pls.

Scott

Labrum Tear, constant partial-dislocations, radiating pain through the bicep--) mid back.

Members don't see this ad.

Yo
I scrubbed in on a arthroscopic labrum tear repair on friday. I am only telling you what I was told, and saw with my own eyes.
3 incisions were made, got the scope in the posterior incision, tools in the anteriors. visualized the labrum, made 3 repairs, (basically glorified slipknots/hangmans knots on the oppposing labrum fragments). Then turned our attention to the posterior aspect for one more approximation in the posterior labrum. The reason for the last one is that there is some posterior instability in anterior tears.
Factors to consider: How long you have been dealing with this. If recent, then your chances of a recurrence are lower than a Px who has been neglecting care for a year. The reason this is true is that the opposing labrum fragments become more damaged, and "floppy" over time if not repaired. This results in a decreased ability to hold the sutures.
The whole procedure took a little less than 2 hours, and the patient was then put into a sling.
Realize, that you may never have the full functionality of a normal labrum, but at least your shoulder won't pop out of place when you roll over at night. Thats all I know.
Peace.

lvspro said:
Yo
I scrubbed in on a laproscopic labrum tear repair on friday. I am only telling you what I was told, and saw with my own eyes.
3 incisions were made, got the scope in the posterior incision, tools in the anteriors. visualized the labrum, made 3 repairs, (basically glorified slipknots/hangmans knots on the oppposing labrum fragments). Then turned our attention to the posterior aspect for one more approximation in the posterior labrum. The reason for the last one is that there is some posterior instability in anterior tears.
Factors to consider: How long you have been dealing with this. If recent, then your chances of a recurrence are lower than a Px who has been neglecting care for a year. The reason this is true is that the opposing labrum fragments become more damaged, and "floppy" over time if not repaired. This results in a decreased ability to hold the sutures.
The whole procedure took a little less than 2 hours, and the patient was then put into a sling.
Realize, that you may never have the full functionality of a normal labrum, but at least your shoulder won't pop out of place when you roll over at night. Thats all I know.
Peace.

Not nit picking but it would be an ARTHROscope not a laproscope, anyways much of what was stated above is correct. If you are symptomatic, meaning having discomfort, a feeling of instability, and anterior instability, then surgical correction many times is warranted. Otherwise a good round of PT is recommended usually first. This allows you to attempt to strengthen the various musculature around the shoulder to see if you can decrease your symptomology. Many times PT works very well. However if not, surgical intervention may be necessary.

SOUNDMAN said:
Not nit picking but it would be an ARTHROscope not a laproscope, anyways much of what was stated above is correct. If you are symptomatic, meaning having discomfort, a feeling of instability, and anterior instability, then surgical correction many times is warranted. Otherwise a good round of PT is recommended usually first. This allows you to attempt to strengthen the various musculature around the shoulder to see if you can decrease your symptomology. Many times PT works very well. However if not, surgical intervention may be necessary.

Point taken, revision made.
Peace