Laborist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keithslc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who frequents this forum has any experience with OB Laborist work. If they do, I was interested in how they felt about their position: like the hours and type of work? What pay they have found offered?..etc. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd really like to know the answer to this question as well. If I go into Ob/Gyn, I'm very interested in a laborist position.

FWIW, I looked up laborist job openings a few times. It looks like a common schedule is about 7, 24-hour shifts over the course of 4 weeks (about 91 days a year). Pay appears to be around $175,000, give or take, which is less than a regular Ob/Gyn makes but with the hospital paying your malpractice and no office to finance, it's definitely nothing to sneeze at.

yeah, the positions I have seen are usually 100 thousand per day on an annual basis. So (3) 24 hour shifts a week you would make 300 thousand annually.That is what a locum tenums guy quoted. Dont know what the reality is and plus/minus of the work.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my hospital system they work approx 90 x 24hr shifts per year and are paid $130,000 if not board certified and $150,000 if board certified. This is in the Philadelphia area. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
In my hospital system they work approx 90 x 24hr shifts per year and are paid $130,000 if not board certified and $150,000 if board certified. This is in the Philadelphia area. I hope this helps.

thats f...ing minimum wage for the type of work you are doing

I guess it works for some people though. Whatever floats your boat!

I'm confused maceo. How is working 8 (24 hr) shifts per month for 130-150K minimum wage, when you factor in not having to worry about billing, not bringing work home, and having 23 days in the month to make money by doing locum tenens, etc.

Nonetheless, I see these hospitalist jobs popping up everywhere and gaining alot of popularity recently.