LA Stethoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wingsforu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. :)

I'm a foreign graduate who is going to Canada soon. I don't have a decent stethoscope and I'm not sure what I should get.

I think I will be working with small/large animals this year and probably next year, but I want to work with horses so that is a bit tricky.

I want to buy one that is good for both small and large animals, but could I use the one I buy right now for only equine afterwards?

I googled and CardioⅢ seemed good.
Any suggestions?? Please??

Members don't see this ad.

The Littmann Cardio III is what was suggested for us by the rep, and I *think* they even have it with a slightly longer tubing (although that may only be on the Cardio II). I have the Cardio III (just the normal length) and I love it so far- I have listened to cats, dogs, and my horse and can hear well, although I'm only in my first year so you may want to see if someone with a little more experience has any suggestions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind being limited to navy blue as a color, this web site engraves for free and they send the stethosope out within a day or two of ordering it. The price is the cheapest I've found. This stethoscope was recommended to me by students at AVC at PEI when I went for an interview in February.

http://www.medisave.net/littmann-cardiology-stethoscope-navy-blue-p-30.html

Took this quote from the other thread. I just wanted to add that I found out after I got mine engraved.

To engrave they have to put the stethoscope head in a vice which can damage it and will void the warranty (as per the lady I bought accessories from). Just FYI.

To engrave they have to put the stethoscope head in a vice which can damage it and will void the warranty (as per the lady I bought accessories from). Just FYI.

Whoa, no wonder they do it for free! Saves them a potential $100 down the road for each stethoscope they do.

Wow guys.. Thanks alot!!

I think I will try a Welch Allyn.. Or the Littmann Cardio III. :D

It's pretty much personal opinion but I'll toss my two cents in on that. If you can find the Welch Allyn easily, then give it a try to see if you like it. But it took me forever to find a store that carried a WA. Not carried a WA and a Littman for side by side comparison, just carried a WA period.

Finally found one and was disappointed. Everything was very muffled in comparision to the Littmann Cardiology III, so that's what I ended up getting and am happy with it thus far. Granted I don't know what to listen for outside of basic heart sounds, but what I do hear is crisp and loud.

The place I bought the stethoscope from happened to carry the Littmanns and the Welch Allyns, and the sales clerk said that he'll sell about 50 Littmanns to every 1 Welch Allyn. In short, it's not worth searching high and low for it like I did. Was pretty frustrating finding a retailer.