KCUMB Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droogdoc

It's "bleeping" golden...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
KCUMB informed me that they would not send out secondaries until August but just wanted to start this now as I am interested to hear what other people think, as it is one of my top school choices.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a secondary via email on 7-10, but then got another email saying the link wasn't working and it might take a few days to fix. I havent had a chance to try it again though

I received a secondary via email on 7-10, but then got another email saying the link wasn't working and it might take a few days to fix. I havent had a chance to try it again though

Yeah, same here. I think they need to do a new URL considering it contained an "08" meaning it was the one for LAST year. KCUMB said they would email a new URl once it was fixed.

Members don't see this ad :)
One question.

Is KCUMB strict on LORs?

I see that they require cover letters/evaluations instead of actual letters. Could that be substituted with just a letter? I think it's a pain to re-contact all my letter writers, especially those that took a few months to get one to me. Let me know please before I make the mistake of applying here. Thanks!

One question.

Is KCUMB strict on LORs?

I see that they require cover letters/evaluations instead of actual letters. Could that be substituted with just a letter? I think it's a pain to re-contact all my letter writers, especially those that took a few months to get one to me. Let me know please before I make the mistake of applying here. Thanks!

My premed advisor contacted them a while back to see if besides my committee letter I also needed a science faculty letter too and they said no, because my committee had 3 science members on it. My advisor never said anything about them needing evaluations, much less a cover letter as my committee letter was submitted on VirtualEvals anyway.

My premed advisor contacted them a while back to see if besides my committee letter I also needed a science faculty letter too and they said no, because my committee had 3 science members on it. My advisor never said anything about them needing evaluations, much less a cover letter as my committee letter was submitted on VirtualEvals anyway.

Has KCUMB said anything yet? If so, let me know, being that you don't hear about it until after secondaries (I think that's when letters are due).

Has KCUMB said anything yet? If so, let me know, being that you don't hear about it until after secondaries (I think that's when letters are due).

My advisor sent me a list of all schools who have downloaded my committee letter from VirtualEvals as of Monday and KCUMB was one of them. My DO also sent his letter to them on June 28 so they have all of my letters.

Haven't heard anything from them, except for the non-active link they sent for secondaries and then a follow-up saying they will fix it, which they haven't yet. Anyone else heard anything else regarding the school's secondary application??

How does this school lean in OOS acceptances?
The only information I can find shows that from 04-05 they 15.1% in-state, 84.1% OOS. But from 05-06, it is essentially inverted at 79.7% in-state, 19.1% OOS. Does anyone have any recent numbers?

It is a private institution and varies from year to year. That is why you see the inversion you noted. I do not believe the school possesses an in state preference whereas KU Med and UMKC do (the other med schools in KC).

It is a private institution and varies from year to year. That is why you see the inversion you noted. I do not believe the school possesses an in state preference whereas KU Med and UMKC do (the other med schools in KC).

I agree. I went to a school near Chicago and my advisor told me the past few years he has had a couple students gain acceptance here every year.

Last edited:
Got the email from KCUMB for the secondary application. It is a PDF that you can download, fill in, and print it out to mail it in. Don't forget to print out the Technical Standards Form and sign it and send it with your application!!

Only 1 essay question on it. "Write a personal statement inlcuding but not limited to why you chose KCUMB, your uniqueness, leadership, experiences, etc. etc."

It seems that they are one of the few remaining schools requiring applications to be mailed.

For the secondary, on the part where it says you can attach a resume instead for the following 4 questions about EC's/awards/employment, would it be okay to use a CV instead of the resume? I know there isn't much difference besides the page length and a few included items.

Also, does anyone know the cutoffs for receiving a secondary for GPA/MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary, on the part where it says you can attach a resume instead for the following 4 questions about EC's/awards/employment, would it be okay to use a CV instead of the resume? I know there isn't much difference besides the page length and a few included items.

Not sure, but they do send it to "screened applicants". Last years admitted class had an average GPA 3.6, MCAT 27.

For MCAT it is 6 for each section I believe... Not sure about GPA though.

Last edited:
I'm mailing in my secondary tomorrow... it wasn't that bad except for a second personal statement :eek:. One question: Will they even look at my file if my letters aren't in yet?

And, do osteopathic schools generally look at extra LORs if you send them?

how do you check on the status of your application here. I dont really see a certain number to call regarding your application...anyone else have any luck?

how do you check on the status of your application here. I dont really see a certain number to call regarding your application...anyone else have any luck?

Call the main number for the school and ask for admissions if you want to know if they have all your materials. I'd wait until next week or the week after, though. They're pretty busy with this being orientation week.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the White Coat Ceremony for the Class of 2013 will be webcast on Thursday evening.

KCUMB informed me that they would not send out secondaries until August but just wanted to start this now as I am interested to hear what other people think, as it is one of my top school choices.

Is this school friendly to out of state students? I am wondering about this. Also do they heavily screen applicants for secondaries in that applicants who get secondaries have a good chance of being invited for an interview?

Got the email from KCUMB for the secondary application. It is a PDF that you can download, fill in, and print it out to mail it in. Don't forget to print out the Technical Standards Form and sign it and send it with your application!!

Only 1 essay question on it. "Write a personal statement inlcuding but not limited to why you chose KCUMB, your uniqueness, leadership, experiences, etc. etc."

It seems that they are one of the few remaining schools requiring applications to be mailed.

Actually a lot of schools are still using paper applications.

One question.

Is KCUMB strict on LORs?

This is in the FAQ's section of their website:

Do I have to use the evaluation forms provided?
No. Your evaluators may choose to submit the KCUMB form alone, to submit an evaluation letter on their own form/letterhead or to submit both our form and their form/letter. Any of the above is acceptable. Evaluation forms can be printed from this website and hard copies are included in the supplemental application.

anyone simply reuse their personal statement from aacomas?

seems a little redundant to me.

anyone simply reuse their personal statement from aacomas?

seems a little redundant to me.

The purpose of the statement on your primary is to explain your interest in entering the medical profession, specifically you are asked to explain why you want to enter Osteopathic medicine. The essays on the secondary are meant to explain why you want to attend a particular school and more detail as to why you want to enter medicine. It would be redundant to use the same essay, and I think admissions committees would frown upon that but I think its okay to link your secondary essay to some part of your primary to make a cohesive statement.

My primary app was sent out 4 days ago. KCUMB is the only school that I haven't heard from... How long did it take yall to receive your secondaries?

Mine took about a month but that was when they were getting the secondary application running still. Hopefully you will get the secondary anytime now.

ironically i received my secondary yesterday... a week after i had received the rest of them

how long was yalls essay for the secondary? mine is almost 2.5 pages with 12 pt font :eek:.

too long?

Hey Friends!

I am younger looking at KCUMB for a future schooling and wondering about the Bioscience program. Haven't seen much info about that on this site. I am applying for the program for fall 2010 because of late MCATs and lower than your average med school student GPA. From what I come to understand it is like a Special Masters Program but it is never really called that. Anybody know anything about this program or have experience with it? Please let me know! Thanks!

how long was yalls essay for the secondary? mine is almost 2.5 pages with 12 pt font :eek:.

too long?

Mine was only a page. I have always heard/been told not to go over a page as they have so much to read already. Personally, I have found that if I keep it down to a page I can convey information/feelings the best while still providing them with enough information.

Yeah, I would say 2.5 pages is waaaay too long.

Mine was only a page. I have always heard/been told not to go over a page as they have so much to read already. Personally, I have found that if I keep it down to a page I can convey information/feelings the best while still providing them with enough information.

Yeah, I would say 2.5 pages is waaaay too long.

yea, you're right. ahhhh im gonna take the weekend off secondaries. im burnt out and feel that im getting diminishing returns at this point.

i see that they require 13 semester hours of chemistry as a pre-req.. i only have 8 credits and i've already graduated. is it worth it to even apply and then i could take a 5 credit chem course at a community college to fulfill this requirement if i'm accepted? i'm not sure if it's even worth it to submit my secondary if i wont be offered an interview bc of this... :(

i see that they require 13 semester hours of chemistry as a pre-req.. i only have 8 credits and i've already graduated. is it worth it to even apply and then i could take a 5 credit chem course at a community college to fulfill this requirement if i'm accepted? i'm not sure if it's even worth it to submit my secondary if i wont be offered an interview bc of this... :(

wait i'm sorry.. would organic chemistry fall under chem or bio??

wait i'm sorry.. would organic chemistry fall under chem or bio??

Chemistry for sure.

I have a similar question. KCUMB requires 3 hours of genetics. It also says that genetics hours does not count towards the biology requirement of 13 hours.
I'm taking genetics next semester and I currently only have 12 hours of biology, but at my school genetics is worth 4 hours because a lab is required... yall think that extra hour of genetics will count towards my 13 hours of bio?? would save me having to take a class.

Chemistry for sure.

I have a similar question. KCUMB requires 3 hours of genetics. It also says that genetics hours does not count towards the biology requirement of 13 hours.
I'm taking genetics next semester and I currently only have 12 hours of biology, but at my school genetics is worth 4 hours because a lab is required... yall think that extra hour of genetics will count towards my 13 hours of bio?? would save me having to take a class.

I would think not. If genetics hours do not count, then they do not count.

Got the complete email today. I am 2 credit hours short on English though, and they want an explanation before considering me for interview. Has anyone gotten an interview yet???

Got the complete email today. I am 2 credit hours short on English though, and they want an explanation before considering me for interview. Has anyone gotten an interview yet???

I have not heard anything

Just found out that I have been put on a pre-interview hold by the school. They said my science GPA was too far below their average (3.6). That's OK. The more I hear about their 3rd/4th years, the less likeyl I would have attended anyway.

Just found out that I have been put on a pre-interview hold by the school. They said my science GPA was too far below their average (3.6). That's OK. The more I hear about their 3rd/4th years, the less likeyl I would have attended anyway.

Uh oh. That does not bode well for me. Do you mind my asking what your GPA (sci/non-sci) and MCAT are? How long after being complete did you find out about the hold?

I plan on taking a campus visit in September, however I can't find any information on how to schedule a tour. Anyone have any ideas?? or should I just give them a ring?

I plan on taking a campus visit in September, however I can't find any information on how to schedule a tour. Anyone have any ideas?? or should I just give them a ring?

Just give admissions a call, they'll get you all set up.

I just got an interview invite this morning, but no indication of complete status on my secondary app either. droogdoc, why do you say that about 3/4 years?

I just got an interview invite this morning, but no indication of complete status on my secondary app either. droogdoc, why do you say that about 3/4 years?

do they send you an email with the invite?

Posts within the last year or two from current students as well as residents who are KCUMB grads. There is a lot of stuff so you will have to do a search. There is also some info refuting it as well. Gotta come to your own conclusions but it just didnt sit right with me.

I just got an email from KCUMB this morning inviting me for an interview on Sept. 29th. At the end of the email it says "You will need to submit your Supplemental Application and your recommendation letters before your interview." I submitted my application and LORs last week. I'm assuming they just send out generic interview invitation emails but still, if I'm being asked for an interview wouldn't that mean they've already received my secondary and LOR's? I dunno, just thought this was strange..

I just got an email from KCUMB this morning inviting me for an interview on Sept. 29th. At the end of the email it says "You will need to submit your Supplemental Application and your recommendation letters before your interview." I submitted my application and LORs last week. I'm assuming they just send out generic interview invitation emails but still, if I'm being asked for an interview wouldn't that mean they've already received my secondary and LOR's? I dunno, just thought this was strange..

I got the exact same email this morning. They send interview invites by email. I already sent in my secondary app too, but not my LOR and I'm guessing it's generic too. I can't imagine they send invites to people who haven't submitted their secondary, but who knows. Are you IS or OOS?

If you have good stats/primary app and are above (or around) their average, KCUMB will sometimes invite you to interview prior to you submitting a secondary. Be happy this has occurred because it generally means they like you on paper and are ready to meet you in person. Congrats.

Also be very careful with what you read on SDN. It can be risky to take advice on an anonymous internet forum. Definitely do your own careful research.

Last edited:
They do send invites to people who haven't submitted their secondary. If your primary was that stunning, they'll send out the interview e-mail. Interview as soon as you can. If you're worried, just e-mail their admissions. [email protected] or call 1-800-234-4847 and ask for admissions. Office hours are 8:30-4:30 CDT.

The great thing about kcumb is that they give you longer than 2 weeks to make your decision after acceptance (unlike certain other schools). I had 1.5 months to decide. I'm not sure if its rolling or it was a cutoff decision date.

I got the exact same email this morning. They send interview invites by email. I already sent in my secondary app too, but not my LOR and I'm guessing it's generic too. I can't imagine they send invites to people who haven't submitted their secondary, but who knows. Are you IS or OOS?