KCU Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be posting updates that may be beneficial or important to our class below.

Any matriculating for the c/o 2019 can post here with any questions, concerns, or comments specific to KCU.

Orientation Week: July 27-31
White Coat Ceremony: August 1
First Day of Class: August 3

All matriculation forms are due May 1!
All transcripts are due July 1!

Matriculation

Health Insurance

Housing

Clinical Clerkship Sites

Scholarly Activity and Research

KCU c/o 2019 Facebook Page

Core Clerkship Site Review and Ranking (thread in progress)

UPDATES:
-Additional core clerkship site in Arkansas
-Administrative building undergoes complete teardown and renovation to be completed 2016
-New info about the 3 year global health and rural medicine track as well as military medicine track are here
-Logo and branding changes, will now be KCU.
-MRIGlobal wins 54 million in NIH grants for drug development and clinical trials. The collaborative contract is between UKMC and KCU.
-Deans from KCU (DO), UMKC (MD), and KUMC (MD) meet together publicly to discuss collaboration between their medical schools through community service, research, and teaching.
-KCU-COM tuition drops for a second year.
-KCU officially announces a second campus to open in Joplin, MO.
-Two new residencies established by KCU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What type of steth. do you roll with? I'm frugal so I'm thinking of snaggin' a Litt. Classic II to save some $$$.

EDIT: Not specific to KCUMB, oops!

I have a Cardio III and a back up beater that works 95% just as well. Classic II should be fine at this stage of your education. The navy blue option is $68 and if you clip the $10 off coupon on Amazon it comes out to be $58 w/ shipping. You won't find a better deal than that.

If you think it will go lower then use camelcamelcamel to monitor the price.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any nontrad students out there that have had difficulty securing health insurance? I just started looking and was shocked by how expensive some of the health plans were. It's still surprising to me that KCUMB doesn't have a school health plan. Trying to figure out how to handle this expense!

How are rotation spots decided? Is it just a random lottery system?

Hey guys, so I just recently paid my acceptance fee, are there any more upcoming deadlines? Or do I now only have to focus on sending in the matriculation forms over the next couple of months?

Hey guys, so I just recently paid my acceptance fee, are there any more upcoming deadlines? Or do I now only have to focus on sending in the matriculation forms over the next couple of months?

Matriculation forms, FAFSA (if you are using student loans) and immunizations are the biggest things to focus on! But most importantly is having fun!

Any recommendations for places to live?

Deposit is fully paid for and submitted! Already counting down the days until August! Now to just get all those titers and immunizations done...yuck :p

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone thinking about the dual degree programs? Also, what are the standards for them to accept you into their dual degree programs? One of the reasons I chose to go to KCUMB is to have the option of a second degree...

Anyone thinking about the dual degree programs? Also, what are the standards for them to accept you into their dual degree programs? One of the reasons I chose to go to KCUMB is to have the option of a second degree...

Might consider the MBA. You have to have a good GPA first year (or semester) then you apply for it. Don't know much about the MA in bioethics though. I thought there was an MS in Biosciences med students could do but I guess you can't.

I actually don't know the requirements for the dual programs. To be a student ambassador you need at least a 2.5 GPA. For the Global and Rural tracks you need to be in the top 1/3 of the class. I believe once you're in the track it's pass/fail grading.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might consider the MBA. You have to have a good GPA first year (or semester) then you apply for it. Don't know much about the MA in bioethics though. I thought there was an MS in Biosciences med students could do but I guess you can't.
What is driving you towards the MBA?

When does the lottery for the clerkship rotations happen?

Potentially creating a consult company or trying to end up in administrative positions at the hospital. Very far out ideas for me but still considering.

I would caution against the MBA. At least as of now, you have to stay in KC for rotations. The quality of those rotation is spotty at best. Your first and foremost goal should hopefully be to become the best physician possible. I am of the belief that this is not going to happen while following around some community based preceptor.

The top i-banks, hedge funds, private equity shops, venture capital funds, do not recruit or higher from a place like Rockhurst. Having a DO + an MBA from an unheard of place (Rockhust) will NOT make you that competitive or open any doors.

There's a reason why the top B-school programs in the country don't accept people directly out of college. They want work experience, and not just a year or two, but significant experience so you can actually contribute something. Without ever working as a physician, you're not going to have any experience to draw on in a healthcare MBA.

This is not to say that the skills you will learn won't be valuable, but I just feel that later on in your career, you could probably do an executive MBA at a much more prestigous institution that will open some doors. Besides, if you end up practicing at a university that has B-School, you'll probably enjoy a very nice discount on the tuition. I don't think paying full price for an unranked MBA is a good business decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would caution against the MBA. At least as of now, you have to stay in KC for rotations. The quality of those rotation is spotty at best. Your first and foremost goal should hopefully be to become the best physician possible. I am of the belief that this is not going to happen while following around some community based preceptor.

The top i-banks, hedge funds, private equity shops, venture capital funds, do not recruit or higher from a place like Rockhurst. Having a DO + an MBA from an unheard of place (Rockhust) will NOT make you that competitive or open any doors.

There's a reason why the top B-school programs in the country don't accept people directly out of college. They want work experience, and not just a year or two, but significant experience so you can actually contribute something. Without ever working as a physician, you're not going to have any experience to draw on in a healthcare MBA.

This is not to say that the skills you will learn won't be valuable, but I just feel that later on in your career, you could probably do an executive MBA at a much more prestigous institution that will open some doors. Besides, if you end up practicing at a university that has B-School, you'll probably enjoy a very nice discount on the tuition. I don't think paying full price for an unranked MBA is a good business decision.

I was just considering this and really appreciate you giving me sound advice in regards to it. So I've heard that unless the MBA is from a really strong program that it will be essentially useless unless it's backed by actual work skills

And in regards to getting the best training, I will definitely avoiding preceptor-based rotations when possible. I think it's important to have the opportunity to understand how a resident team works and gain the most amount of clinical exposure I can during my 3rd and 4th year.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great advice about the MBA...

Hey all, another M1 here, I'm also in the DO/MBA right now, so if you've got questions feel free to PM or ask here.

Also, going to try and answer a lot of questions in one swoop, so sorry for the long post
Are there any nontrad students out there that have had difficulty securing health insurance? I just started looking and was shocked by how expensive some of the health plans were. It's still surprising to me that KCUMB doesn't have a school health plan. Trying to figure out how to handle this expense!

That's tough. I just turned 26, so I know how painful that search can be. If you can get residency in Missouri or Kansas I'd use the marketplace. You can get decent plans on there for basically nothing as a student. Unfortunately that didn't work out for me because I'm oos and would have had to use medicare. Problem is the network would only be in the state I'm a resident of, yea...

Any recommendations for places to live?

The bigs ones nearby are North KC, downtown, and westport. I'd also throw Crossroads in as it's basically downtown. All of those are within 10 minutes of campus and have reasonably priced places (under 800). If you don't mind commuting you can also come from the suburbs, but that can be a pretty long drive. There's also CT, where a ton of students end up. It was too much like a dorm for me and is overpriced imo, but extremely convenient (across the street from campus).

MBA and Bioethics both require you to maintain a 2.5 GPA I believe. As Chizled said, global med requires you to be in the top 1/3 of the class to apply. I didn't realize ambassador required a 2.75 GPA, but you have to stay in good academic standing to be in any program here. There is a biomed dual degree, but it is a 6 year program that is meant to be for students who plan on making research the primary goal of their career. So if you aren't 100% sure you want to go into research for the rest of your life, it's not for you.

When does the lottery for the clerkship rotations happen?

Fall of second year, specifically October I think. I know the second years found out where they would be in December.

For the most part, I agree, although apparently a few things have changed. Staying in KC is NOT a requirement for the MBA dual-degree. You can go wherever you want, the perk about it is that if you want to stay in KC for years 3 and 4 then you are guaranteed a spot by doing a master's degree.

Also, I agree and disagree about the top business school thing. Most people on SDN will tell you a business degree that's not from a top 10 school is useless, but I feel like that's an exaggeration. While Rockhurst is not top 10, it was ranked top 25 in 2013. I was completely shocked by that considering it was the only school on the list I had never heard of before moving here. Also, while it's not cheap (around 33k), it is significantly cheaper than most other 'elite MBA' programs which can be well over 40k. So monetary value of the program isn't the issue imo.

I think Meliora is spot on with the experience thing, but something to keep in mind is that a dual degree now will look good on residency apps (helping you get more interviews) and possibly allow you to serve on an administrative board during residency (according to multiple deans, you're required to sit on some kind of board during residency?). Obviously that experience could be useful during your career. That being said, I agree with meliora that experience far outweighs the value of the degree itself, but if you're looking at it that way, connections are just as important in business. The people that are successful are the ones who are able to network and meet people that can help them advance. While you don't need an MBA degree to learn how to network, it can definitely help you meet people that will get you places.

I was just considering this and really appreciate you giving me sound advice in regards to it. So I've heard that unless the MBA is from a really strong program that it will be essentially useless unless it's backed by actual work skills

And in regards to getting the best training, I will definitely avoiding preceptor-based rotations when possible. I think it's important to have the opportunity to understand how a resident team works and gain the most amount of clinical exposure I can during my 3rd and 4th year.

Thanks again!

I'd say any MBA will be somewhat useless for the business aspect of your career if you don't have any experience to go along with it unless you have some strong connections. The big boost you get from a dual degree (MBA or bioethics) is that it can give you a solid base knowledge and can help you land a few extra residency interviews. After that it's all about who you know and how you network to land the positions to get you experience.

@meliora27 I was under the impression that you will have a preceptor at pretty much any rotation you do, it's just a matter of whether you only work with them or if you work with a group. Is this not the case?

@Stagg737, the distinction is that for IM for example, some people may do their entire month of IM with "Dr. Smith" who is some random 65 year old PCP who you shadow with in his office doing an occasional H&P whereas for hospital based rotations, you'd just be one of the medical students on the inpatient teaching service. There would probably be an intern, an upper level resident, and then an attending.

@Stagg737, the distinction is that for IM for example, some people may do their entire month of IM with "Dr. Smith" who is some random 65 year old PCP who you shadow with in his office doing an occasional H&P whereas for hospital based rotations, you'd just be one of the medical students on the inpatient teaching service. There would probably be an intern, an upper level resident, and then an attending.

Yeah the former happened to my friend. He has thus a far not stepped foot in a hospital for his 3rd year. One of his IM rotations was basically house call...

#cocastandards
#wheredeyatthough

The other day Dubin told us he is now on the board for COCA and they were appalled by the most recent set of pass rates for COMLEX 1 (around 92%). He said that we can expect to be seeing some serious changes in those standards with the ACGME merger, which frankly I will be welcoming with arms wide open. Fortunately, KCU has solid pass rates, so we shouldn't have anything to worry about there.

The other day Dubin told us he is now on the board for COCA and they were appalled by the most recent set of pass rates for COMLEX 1 (around 92%). He said that we can expect to be seeing some serious changes in those standards with the ACGME merger, which frankly I will be welcoming with arms wide open. Fortunately, KCU has solid pass rates, so we shouldn't have anything to worry about there.

Was there any talk about clinical education? Such as clerkships or what not?

Was there any talk about clinical education? Such as clerkships or what not?

This should absolutely be a top priority. The inconsistency of clinical education is a prime factor for holding DO's back as PD's have reservations about the quality of the clinical training.

When KCUMB students can complete two months of IM rotations without ever stepping foot into a hospital, that makes ALL DO's look bad. KCUMB students and especially SGA should make this a top priority.

This should absolutely be a top priority. The inconsistency of clinical education is a prime factor for holding DO's back as PD's have reservations about the quality of the clinical training.

When KCUMB students can complete two months of IM rotations without ever stepping foot into a hospital, that makes ALL DO's look bad. KCUMB students and especially SGA should make this a top priority.

You don't think this has been been approached and somewhat improved at kcumb? Do you have colleagues or friends that this happened to personally?

I know that it happened last year for sure. I hope it has improved for this years current third years.

There has to be something that we can do to address this matter to COCA directly. Perhaps if SOMA met with them or created a petition that was a call to action by COCA to revamp their standards for clinical education.

The problem has been addressed and is very much transparent...we need to start doing something.

So I am considering creating a new thread in the "clinical rotations" area named "clinical sites review - KCUMB" in which we can all collaborate and investigate to see which of these sites have the potential for giving us the best exposure to management and pathology.

So I am considering creating a new thread in the "clinical rotations" area named "clinical sites review - KCUMB" in which we can all collaborate and investigate to see which of these sites have the potential for giving us the best exposure to management and pathology.

SGA usually organizes something similar to help the M2's select a core site based on anonymous reviews of the sites from the current third years at it. Not sure if they're still doing it though. It was a student directed initiative, not something from the school, but it was available to everyone via blackboard as I recall.

SGA usually organizes something similar to help the M2's select a core site based on anonymous reviews of the sites from the current third years at it. Not sure if they're still doing it though. It was a student directed initiative, not something from the school, but it was available to everyone via blackboard as I recall.

That is something that I will definitely look into then when I start in July.

What do you think of a national initiative to create a petition to reevaluate clinical education?

That is something that I will definitely look into then when I start in July.

What do you think of a national initiative to create a petition to reevaluate clinical education?

I think the higher-ups at the AOA will say that DO schools are committed to producing primary care physicians, and because primary care is primarily delivered in outpatient centers, they believe that clinical training in "community based settings" or whatever buzz word they like, is clearly sufficient to their mission.

I think the higher-ups at the AOA will say that DO schools are committed to producing primary care physicians, and because primary care is primarily delivered in outpatient centers, they believe that clinical training in "community based settings" or whatever buzz word they like, is clearly sufficient to their mission.

Lame. I still think it's worth a shot though. With Dr. Dubin being on the COCA board, there might be push towards reevaluating the standards for clinical site quality.

Bahaha! That would be so cool but underserved!

Mr. Nibbles should be our class president however:

fat-face-cat.jpg

Haha aw thanks! Now that I think about it I don't know if KCUMB (or KCU...lol) has student gov in that manner!

1 Class Pres
1 Class VP
1 Class Treasurer
1 Class Secretary
6 Senators

Second year senators will then be elected by SGA to serve as the student body president, vice president, secretary, treasurer

1 Class Pres
1 Class VP
1 Class Treasurer
1 Class Secretary
6 Senators

Second year senators will then be elected by SGA to serve as the student body president, vice president, secretary, treasurer

Awesome. Thank you for the information. I will be considering it should I survive year one haha.

I do not know, honestly that one would be better answered by second years, but I know there is a panel about rotations coming up, so it may be asked then.

Great! Do let us know how that turns out on here when you can :D

For the most part, I agree, although apparently a few things have changed. Staying in KC is NOT a requirement for the MBA dual-degree. You can go wherever you want, the perk about it is that if you want to stay in KC for years 3 and 4 then you are guaranteed a spot by doing a master's degree.

Really? Since when?

Apparently sometime in the past 4 years...I was under the impression it was never a requirement. We were told that if you want to do rotations outside of KC you can finish your classes online and it's not a problem. If you do the bioethics dual degree I think you have to stay in KC, but I'm not sure about that.

Apparently sometime in the past 4 years...I was under the impression it was never a requirement. We were told that if you want to do rotations outside of KC you can finish your classes online and it's not a problem. If you do the bioethics dual degree I think you have to stay in KC, but I'm not sure about that.

As of last year, the current fourth years (who were then third years) were required to be in KC for their third year rotations if they were in the MBA program. Of course during fourth year, they were free to do away rotations elsewhere as they completed their coursework online.

Dual degree bioethics student (M1) here. You don't have to stay in KC for your rotations and you are not guarantee a spot in KC of you want to stay

Reactions: 2 users

Im gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on some of the things you say.
1) KC is one of the best rotation sites because you can rotate at either UMKC or KUMC's hospitals which are the teaching hospitals for the other 2 med schools in town (and sites of the best residencies in town). You can also set up rotations at other hospitals around town which is a huge plus. Not only that but KCU is working on giving those who do the MBA program an administrative only rotation at a hospital or clinic (past years students have rotated at places like MAYO and Abu Dhabi).

2) Rockhurst is ranked 20th in management MBA's which puts it up there in terms of recognition; its not just some podunk college throwing out degrees. I know quite a few people who have gotten 6 figure management positions after graduating from Rockhurst so its definitely a school that has recognition (also very good recognition in the midwest area).

3) The thing about getting a duel degree is that it can compliment the other degree you're getting. You are a physician first before anything else but that doesn't mean you can't be other things. For other MBA's, yes experience is a huge factor because you need to have an understanding of business before pursing a higher degree like an MBA. However, medicine is different in that most physicians don't even understand how hospitals or the business side of medicine works until its too late. Getting an MBA in medical school means that not only do you stand out among other competitive applicants but you also know what you're doing when you step foot in a hospital both medically and administratively. Of all the 4th years that i have talked to who have done the program not one has regretted their decision and all of them have said how its made residency application significantly easier.

Half the reason I even choose KCU is because of the MBA program (call be biased if you wish) but thats only because I have grown up with parents owning small businesses and I can see how imperative it is to have a full understanding if your career choice. Plus when you're a practicing physician the likely hood of you deciding to take the GMAT, go through the application process, and possibly have to move in order to attend school is a hassle most won't want to experience.

AFAIK, you have to stay in KC if you're doing the MBA program. There have only been a couple cases of people finishing their degrees outside of KC but they told us not to expect that as a norm.