KA P/S Somatosensation - Refractory period passage question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinM88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the answer description about the Adaptation.
However, I do not completely understand the Refractory period explanation in the answer description and I don't see where the Refractory period is found in the graph. Could someone add to that answer description?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that because the Likert score is decreasing over time, this is signifying that the subject is becoming more comfortable (less stimulated). A way to be less stimulated would be through the refractory period (increased refractory period, neurons not active or responding to stimulus and so you are less stimulated).

Reactions: 1 user
I think that because the Likert score is decreasing over time, this is signifying that the subject is becoming more comfortable (less stimulated). A way to be less stimulated would be through the refractory period (increased refractory period, neurons not active or responding to stimulus and so you are less stimulated).

Ok I think I might get it now. Let me know if this fits what you're thinking:
So since Sensory Adaptation (ie. a neurological decrease) requires a constant stimulus,
and in this passage it talks about a stimulus that is NOT constant (ie. "different pressures"),
the reason for the autistic children becoming more calm over time was psychological rather than neurological...?

So, the answer uses the fact that the stimulus was NOT constant as a way to get rid of adaptation being a possible explanation (adaptation would require a constant stimulus, as they say). They get rid of the neurological argument by saying that the x-axis of the figure is in minutes, not seconds, but when we look at refractory period or hyper/depolarization of neurons, that is measured in seconds - because it's in minutes and not seconds, I think they are saying that it's hard to extrapolate the data to neuronal activity. This is why they attribute the reason to something psychological, rather than neurological or adaptation.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, the answer uses the fact that the stimulus was NOT constant as a way to get rid of adaptation being a possible explanation (adaptation would require a constant stimulus, as they say). They get rid of the neurological argument by saying that the x-axis of the figure is in minutes, not seconds, but when we look at refractory period or hyper/depolarization of neurons, that is measured in seconds - because it's in minutes and not seconds, I think they are saying that it's hard to extrapolate the data to neuronal activity. This is why they attribute the reason to something psychological, rather than neurological or adaptation.

So the graph would have to have been like "zoomed in" to even notice any refractory period stuff?

Yep, based on what they're saying, we'd want to see it in seconds to be able to see how long the refractory period lasted and how that impacted the stimulus being felt/not felt.