Just want to comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNY

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who reads this:
I will tell you that I almost gave up on my dream of wanting to become a doctor, but reading stories of those of you who were brave enough to tell how despite your struggles, you never gave up until you made it, has reinspired me to continue to want to pursue my dream as well.
I started out my freshman year with the intent of being nothing but a doctor.I love everything they did and stood for, and I knew it required hard work and perserverance, but I knew NOTHING about the application process.I thought I could handle lots of hard pre-med courses as well as volunteer for the student ambulance service, work in a kitchen part time, volunteer in the child day care center, and the list goes on.Well, my freshman year G.P.A. disproved that theory.I was LUCKY! I only ended up with a 2.8 or so.But, I lost all confidence in my ability of wanting to be a doctor.I decided that summer I wanted to explore other arenas of the health care system, so I did volunteer work in a local nursing home, and discovered Occupational Therapy.I loaded up on prereqs the next year,(I didn;t have that many left)incl. Physics, Abnormal and Developmental Psych, Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2, Statistics, and Sociology.Thouhgh my GPA was not so great, by a miracle I got into 2 programs, both at excellent schools.And here I am ever since.
In learnign about O.T., I began to discover that medical professions tend to forget that when they treating patients, they are not treating just illness, they are treating a living, thinking human being. The wholistic philosophy of O.T. introduced me to the belief that humans are healthier when they are active, and also that the power of the mind is so strong in determining a person's health status and ability to fight disease.
I know someone who goes to NYCOM and this person taught me about the philosophy of osteopathy.It is very similar to the wholistic philosophy of O.T., and I want very much now to become a D.O.
My G.P.A. since starting O.T. school has been excellent. Not just that,but my views on life have changed.I thought that because of something as silly as my GPA, that I was not "smart enough" to become a doctor, and that's not true. If you work hard,you can achieve anything, and getting into med school isn't just about numbers-it's about people,what kind of person you are, and how you interact with others.
Thanks all for your stories b/c you really inspired me.It's really comforting to know other people have been in similar situations as me, and that we are not alone in this world in our experiences and feelings.
To those of you being interviewed and applying this year, good luck.I hope in a couple of years when I finish OT school and take my MCATS, the admissions committee sees in me what they saw in you-a person, not a robot or a number.

Members don't see this ad.

Amen....thanks for the story!

Good luck!
Matt

To InNY,

Glad to hear you are encouraged. It's true, you can't give up! I basically fooled around in undergrad not knowing what to do, and ended up with only a 2.8 at UCLA. I also felt that maybe I couldn't do it. I went on to chiropractic college, re-dedicated myself and graduated with a 3.6 GPA and the sense that anything was possible. If my situation is any indication, you should be just fine, especially with all those extra science classes from OT. Do it!!!

DCDO(TUCOM class of 2002)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a weak GPA in my undergrad also. I worked for 4 years and then attend graduate school and have a 3.75 average. I dream finally came through last year and I am first year DO student in NOVA.

Remember, applying medical school is like an mini Olympic game. Most of the contestants are very well trained, but those that endure the most difficult trail will find their goal. So don't give up and use your experience to encourage others.

I always believe that people who have experienced failure but never give up will become a very good physician.

InNY,

It sounds to me like you already have what it takes to be a great osteopathic physician. Like yourself and the other posters to this thread, I graduated with a low GPA in college (3.1). After college I worked 6 months in a orthopedic medical clinic. An MD surgeon friend/mentor at the clinic told me to go ahead and apply to medical school, or take some time to improve my grades and scores and then apply. I took his advice and worked the rest of the year at a biotech company until a colleague there suggested that I go to get my M.S. at the local state college. After spending almost 2 great years doing basic cancer research, I will be attending WesternU/COMP in Fall of 1999. It took a lot of hard work and discipline, I ended up taking the MCAT 3 times before I worked up enough courage to apply. Human beings are incredibly adaptable if they put their minds to the goal at hand. During all those times studying/taking the MCAT, I realized that all I could do is try my best and even if I didn't get into medical school at least I tried and would not have any regrets later. I salute you and sincerely hope you will join us as a future colleague!

EDGAR

Thanks a lot, to those of you who replied to my post the other day. You've motivated me even more. I look even more forward now to becoming one of your future colleagues.If you have any info. that may help me to get into med school, I'd really appreciate it. Thanx. :)

Get used to the encouragement and support, InNY! I think you will learn, as I did many years ago, that the osteopathic profession is like a small family. Sure we have our share of problems that results from being a professional minority, but it does keep us rather close.

sig1.gif

Dear inNY,

Become a DO. You sound like you will be an awesome physician. Silence your thoughts saying 'you have no chance.' Just do it.

My GPA sucks. My MCATs were above average, and I am very fortunate to have been involved in intense brain research and a busy busy local family clinic. Numbers do get you interviews, but you get yourself accepted.

Please post more, so that we (future DOs), can help you in the future.

It is inspiring to read everyones posts.
------------------

[This message has been edited by cliff (edited 02-02-99).]