Just took the OAT- was wayy unprepared -_-

luvely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just posting because I'm just really bummed right now but I shouldn't be too surprised. I had planned on postponing my OAT for later on this month because I felt very unprepared. Problem was I waited until a Saturday and I didn't realize it had to be a weekday to reschedule.

I will DEFINITELY be retaking the OAT, but I just wanted some opinions on my score and whether or not schools would dismiss me before waiting to see the retake scores? [I already submitted my application, it should be sent out tomorrow]

I graduated with a GPA of 3.25 in Biology, shadowed at four different optometric practices and am currently working at one of the optometry practices I shadowed at.

My OAT scores:
QR: 270
RC: 320
Biology: 290
General Chemistry: 270
Organic Chemistry: 330
Physics: 270
Total Science: 290
Academic Average: 290

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the reason people don't respond to these types of threads very often is because the answer is all the same: call the schools and ask them. it's what they are there for, to answer your questions.

additionally, there are SDN threads where people have self reported their admittance stats. the information is there, you just have to look for it and judge for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
too many 270's in there.. which most schools frown upon..

Retake the OAT and ATLEAST push to get a 310 average.. some schools will take that.. some won't... of course the higher the better.

I just posted scores very similar to this on a thread and I got the same "call the schools" response. So... I can save you a little time with what I was told. I contacted mostly schools in the midwest because of where I currently live in Illinois.

IU- retake but apply now although you will only get an interview in Jan or Feb with those current scores.
UMSL- apply and your scores will not be rejected, although retake and fax in your new scores
SCO- apply and your scores may get you an interview before Dec., but set up an appointment to retake in case
ICO- you may want to wait until you get your new scores before you apply so you don't have to reapply.
NOVA- apply now, retake, you may have to wait until Jan for an interview but keep them updated on my scores.

As you can see... the consensus from the schools it to retake... but some of them would offer me an interview, although if I, and you I'm sure, were to retake, it won't be until Dec. anyways so it might just be worth planning to retake.

If you have other schools you are interested in I'd say e-mail or call them... and if you wouldn't mind letting me know of their responses, I see we're very much so in the same boat and it may be nice to see what most of the schools have to say about our scores. :) Good luck and let me know what they all say! :)

thank you guys~ I have been looking at similar threads and I definitely was planning on calling the schools but I was just waiting until my next day off work which is tm and I was just looking for a bit of peace of mind in the meantime.

I definitely know I have to retake it and I WANT but I'm just anxious about whether schools would outright reject me as an applicant based on my initial OAT score.

and DLG629: thank you for the information, I will definitely post what the schools say when I call, thanks for the pointer to your thread, I think I saw it before and also thought we had similar stats. :p