Just My luck

Rusunn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to take the kaplan classroom prep course to prepare for the OAT this coming Oct or early Nov. I heard its very good and I really wanted to take it. But just my luck, after I registered for the class it was cancelled due to lack of enrollment :mad: i checked other locations and called kaplan and they said ALL the classes (in the time fame i want to take) were cancelled b/c of lack of enrollment. what the heck. Since i cant take the class, i was wondering if the kaplan ONLINE course is any good? I feel that it be a waste of 1000 bucks to take the online course since i would be sitting at home studying (Might as well just study from the kaplan book). Also how are the Kaplan tutors, are they good? Does anyone know if its possible to take a DAT or MCAT prep coures for the OAT? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks a million.

Members don't see this ad.

Rusunn said:
I wanted to take the kaplan classroom prep course to prepare for the OAT this coming Oct or early Nov. I heard its very good and I really wanted to take it. But just my luck, after I registered for the class it was cancelled due to lack of enrollment :mad: i checked other locations and called kaplan and they said ALL the classes (in the time fame i want to take) were cancelled b/c of lack of enrollment. what the heck. Since i cant take the class, i was wondering if the kaplan ONLINE course is any good? I feel that it be a waste of 1000 bucks to take the online course since i would be sitting at home studying (Might as well just study from the kaplan book). Also how are the Kaplan tutors, are they good? Does anyone know if its possible to take a DAT or MCAT prep coures for the OAT? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks a million.

I finished the kaplan course and will be taking the oat sept 28. kaplan helps you in terms of giving you endless resources to prepare but you do 98% of the work on your own. you go to lectures and review stuff, but you have thousands of subject tests and review notes to look over after class time. The online course is pretty parallel to the actual course but the only difference is you watch lectures online and can't ask specific questions to the lecturer. What's really weird is that Kaplan in your area is not offering the course to you since oat preparation is 90% identical to DAT preparation. i was the only oat student in my class while the other 12 were DAT students. The only difference in the tests is the Physics section on the OAT where a seperate teacher would often teach me seperately on the 2 days we had physics lessons. I would go ahead and ask them why they won't offer it to you. If they absolutely will not, try Princeton Review or just do the online course and make sure to really do all the work your supposed to do. The materials kaplan offer are wonderful! I went to the actual kaplan center, and printed out every single subject test and workshop (for free!). Hope this helps and good luck.

i actually got a call from kaplan today. They said that in place of a classroom course, they would give me a tutor for 11 hours instead (a tutor is around 100 dollars an hour and the classroom course cost 1200. In addition i would still have access to the kaplan center and online access as well ( but i dont know what she means by online access). How good is tutoring compared to the online course (which is cheaper) or should i still ask to take the DAT course (since its 90% similar to the OAt). As of right now, the 11 hours tutor offer sounds like a good deal.

thanks for the help.

That doesn't sound bad at all. When I took the Kaplan course, I was the only OAT in a classroom of DAT students. I got a personal tutor for the physics sections which was really nice, but I will warn you that I did not think their physics review was that good. I had to supplement their physics with other materials, so good luck. I highly recommend Kaplan whether you are taking the online course or the tutors. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Which would you guys recommend?
1) taking the DAT prep course with extra help in physics
2) accept the 11 hours of tutoring that they are offering me.

in your opinion, which is better?

Personally, i would take the tutor. Good luck with your decision.

Hi

I got a response from kaplan today and the classes that we cancelled were both the DAT and OAT courses. So i decided to take the tutor