Journal Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM2

Podiatric Medical Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

While working as a chemical engineer in the pharmaceutical industry, I learned the importance of reading journal articles, During my first year of podiatric medicine, a professor suggested that we try to read at least one article per week.

I thought it might be a good idea to start up a journal club in the Podiatry Forum. We can suggest articles, discuss articles, share comments regarding statistics, and learn from and teach each other to become better students and future podiatrist.

If possible, I would like to have some structure to the thread. As people join, people can do a literature search, find an article that they are interested in, read it, and email me with the article suggestion. I can then use Poll Monkey to create a poll, send it to interested individuals (who ever emails me) and find out which article we should discuss. Which ever article wins the poll will be discussed. This means we will have to read at least 2 articles.

As school begins, we are going to become quite busy. Therefore, we may want to structure it similar to one in college. Once per month.

Let me know what you think and share ideas..

Thanks

PM2 :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Here is some information from an article that was passed out by a Professor during my neuro course last year. A good way to evaluate Randomized Controlled Trials.

Attachments

• Turlik.doc
    48 KB · Views: 139
Here is a link to an article that I thought was interesting. I do not know how old the idea is but it sounds new to me. The article describes taking the EHB tendon during a bunion procedure and re-routing and re-atatching it to the MPJ capsule plantarly where the tibial sesamoid is to decrease the valgus turn of the metatarsal and the hallux.

http://www2.jfas.org/scripts/om.dll/serve?action=get-media&id=as1067251605002516&trueID=pdf_s1067251605002516&location=jes05443&type=pdf&name=x.pdf

Please let me know what you think of this idea if you have any experience in pod surgery.

Also, does anyone know how to make the link show up as a link to click on, and how are people attaching files?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Independant reading is an excellent idea. I think I probably put more effort into this than I did in studying for tests. Probably didn't help my grades all that much, but grades don't mean everything anyway. If I had it to do again, I would do it the same way.

There are more articles out there to read than you will have time for, so you need to learn to limit it. One a day is actually a reasonable goal, as opposed to one a week. (Maybe use the one a week/or month from a Journal club to supplement your regular reading or help direct it.) Make them pertinent to what you are studying. Use them to find answers to questions you have, or to elaborate on points you don't fully understand. Find some of the classic articles. (This is pretty easy, look at the names associated with procedures/classifications, etc and then do a journal search on those and see what you come up with.) It's interesting to see how things were originally described and compare to what we actually do now.

As a suggestion for an article, one that I read, and reread is about how to develop your reading/journals/personal library. The original has been rewritten (and updated) and posted online, so it is easy to get to.

Personal Library Article

Hope this is helpful.

Eric

efs said:
As a suggestion for an article, one that I read, and reread is about how to develop your reading/journals/personal library. The original has been rewritten (and updated) and posted online, so it is easy to get to.

Eric

Ha ha, I remember when you gave this article to me, Eric.

Nice to hear you're doing well. Perhaps we'll meet up at a conference. I'll be in:
Baltimore for Paley's Limb Deformity Course in Sept,
Iowa for Mandracchia's meeting in Oct,
San Antonio Diabetic Foot in Dec,
ACFAS in Mar and
Hollywood diabetic foot in Mar.

That's the list so far!!!

Email me at my DMU account sometime we'll catch up.

Lee

Hey guys,

I was involved before with a clinical research company called Kriger Research Center and one of the projects they were working with involved diabetic foot ulcers. Basically, the idea was to use recombinant growth hormones to treat those ulcers.

Has any of you heard of this, and would you have any articles/studies to share? Unfortunately, I don't have any access to this research but I'm quite interested so if anyone can share then it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

drbeesh said:
Hey guys,

I was involved before with a clinical research company called Kriger Research Center and one of the projects they were working with involved diabetic foot ulcers. Basically, the idea was to use recombinant growth hormones to treat those ulcers.

Has any of you heard of this, and would you have any articles/studies to share? Unfortunately, I don't have any access to this research but I'm quite interested so if anyone can share then it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

drbeesh,

This appears to be a pretty good review article that was published in 2005.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/28/2/461#T1

Let me know if you have trouble downloading it. It has numerous links to free articles also. I have to admit, chronic wound healing versus acute wound healing is very interesting. I think I will take some time this weekend and read some of these articles.