Joining the Military to pay for pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KariPatt2714

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I start pharmacy school in August. As my first day of classes quickly approaches, I have a lot of anxiety about money. How am I going to pay for school?! I don’t have anyone to help me pay for school. I have worked as a pharmacy tech for a couple years now and have not met anyone I can relate to. Our pharmacy interned and recent grads have all had rich parents who payed for school, big inheritances, or received full tuition scholarships. Unfortunately, that’s not me. I don’t have anyone I can really talk to about money, loans, etc. and I fear graduating with $100,000+ in loans.

Anyways, recently I have been considering joining the Air National Guard or the National Guard so that I can receive help with tuition. I have always felt a desire to serve, but my desire to be a pharmacist was stronger. So I think, why not do both? Has anyone else done this? How do you do it? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Tons of people are living really well off of a 60k annual salary and enjoying themselves. That should leave you with 30K+ annually to put towards student loans and pay them off in no time. Then get a house that you can pay off in 15 years while saving 15% of your earnings for retirement. Once the house is paid off put the 15% plus the house money towards retirement. If you do that you may end up wealthier than your trust fund friends. We are talking 4-6 million net worth. So, don't worry about the student loans. If you want to serve than serve. I'm sure it would open up some cool opportunities for you down the road too.

Tons of people are living really well off of a 60k annual salary and enjoying themselves. That should leave you with 30K+ annually to put towards student loans and pay them off in no time. Then get a house that you can pay off in 15 years while saving 15% of your earnings for retirement. Once the house is paid off put the 15% plus the house money towards retirement. If you do that you may end up wealthier than your trust fund friends. We are talking 4-6 million net worth. So, don't worry about the student loans. If you want to serve than serve. I'm sure it would open up some cool opportunities for you down the road too.
So you're assuming he's going to make a +90k salary but how realistic is that in light of all these recent wage drops? At current trend, his salary if going the community pharmacy route will be more like 70-80k. Putting 30k a year towards loans then leaves him only 40-50k pre-tax. That is less than the average salary of someone with a bachelor's degree. Also putting 30k a year towards loans when you have 200k worth of debt isn't paying it off "in no time", that's a 10 year term.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're assuming he's going to make a +90k salary but how realistic is that in light of all these recent wage drops? At current trend, his salary if going the community pharmacy route will be more like 70-80k. Putting 30k a year towards loans then leaves him only 40-50k pre-tax. That is less than the average salary of someone with a bachelor's degree. Also putting 30k a year towards loans when you have 200k worth of debt isn't paying it off "in no time", that's a 10 year term.
The military has loan repayment options, and although the salary won’t be as high as a civilian pharmacist the op will still benefit from free healthcare and free housing.

The military is a great option and the op will most likely come out better than traditional grads.

The military has loan repayment options, and although the salary won’t be as high as a civilian pharmacist the op will still benefit from free healthcare and free housing.

The military is a great option and the op will most likely come out better than traditional grads.
Agreed. Otherwise taking out 200k loans to only make a 70-80k a year makes no sense financially

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I start pharmacy school in August. As my first day of classes quickly approaches, I have a lot of anxiety about money. How am I going to pay for school?! I don’t have anyone to help me pay for school. I have worked as a pharmacy tech for a couple years now and have not met anyone I can relate to. Our pharmacy interned and recent grads have all had rich parents who payed for school, big inheritances, or received full tuition scholarships. Unfortunately, that’s not me. I don’t have anyone I can really talk to about money, loans, etc. and I fear graduating with $100,000+ in loans.

Anyways, recently I have been considering joining the Air National Guard or the National Guard so that I can receive help with tuition. I have always felt a desire to serve, but my desire to be a pharmacist was stronger. So I think, why not do both? Has anyone else done this? How do you do it? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

Here's a link to what I am currently doing after my active duty service to the military:

How to Attend Pharmacy School with little to no debt?

I'll try to give my unbiased opinion when it comes to the uniformed services. In order to join ANG or Reserve Component, your going to need to become qualified with a military occupational specialty (MOS). Since you are starting school in August I advice against going enlisted in either of these options. For example, Basic Training (in regards to army) is 10 weeks followed by Advanced Individual Training (AIT). Presuming your wanting to work in the pharmacy, your AIT will be held in southern TX and takes 6 months of training before you get released to your guard or reserve unit. You'll miss your school start date, and possibly even overlap your studies with the guard or reserve depending how frequently your unit trains (beyond the two days in one week per month and two weeks in the summer is what some do).

If possible, I strongly encourage you to join an ROTC while attending pharmacy school. It pays 100% of education in exchange of you doing officer time in the military. Since your specifically going to become a licensed pharmacist, you would essentially be front loaded to graduate ROTC with a slot as a military pharmacist. You'll get great benefits and a compensation package as well as tax free income for housing on top of your basic income allowance starting out as an O3 officer. Plus, the benefit of the GI Bill remains in tact for yours to keep.

Your other option is looking into HPSP (Health Profession Scholarship Program) put on by some of the branches for pharmacy school. For example, Air Force offers a two or one year period scholarship that pays for your education for a minimum service obligation of three years:

U.S. Air Force

Another example is HSCP (Health Services Collegiate Program) that Navy does for pharmacy students that is put out by some universities: Heres one from University of Kansas but applies to any program institute:

http://wichita.kumc.edu/Documents/wichita/asa/Navy HSCP Program.pdf

Last option, is apply to your branch of choice after attaining your License. it is very competitive, but worth looking into. You'll need to talk with an AMEDD recruiter (healthcare officer) to start documentation when the time comes. Army for example will pay 120k toward your student loans for a 3 year obligation OR a 30k lump sum in your account upon going to your first duty station. If you want specifics or pros and cons you can ask here or PM me. Financially speaking, service is the best way to go. Youll be ahead of your peers (such as myself) with leadership experience and a good start to your resume (especially if you opt into residency through the military with an additional service obligation).

Agreed. Otherwise taking out 200k loans to only make a 70-80k a year makes no sense financially
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the input. I am the original poster (and I’m a woman BTW Timbo! Lol ) I want to do everything I can to avoid having a HUGE loan. That terrifies me. I do not want to work retail, hoping for a hospital setting. The guard seems like a good option for me. Does anyone know how I actually go about joining the national guard or air national guard in this manner? I have no idea where to even start.

Here's a link to what I am currently doing after my active duty service to the military:

How to Attend Pharmacy School with little to no debt?

I'll try to give my unbiased opinion when it comes to the uniformed services. In order to join ANG or Reserve Component, your going to need to become qualified with a military occupational specialty (MOS). Since you are starting school in August I advice against going enlisted in either of these options. For example, Basic Training (in regards to army) is 10 weeks followed by Advanced Individual Training (AIT). Presuming your wanting to work in the pharmacy, your AIT will be held in southern TX and takes 6 months of training before you get released to your guard or reserve unit. You'll miss your school start date, and possibly even overlap your studies with the guard or reserve depending how frequently your unit trains (beyond the two days in one week per month and two weeks in the summer is what some do).

If possible, I strongly encourage you to join an ROTC while attending pharmacy school. It pays 100% of education in exchange of you doing officer time in the military. Since your specifically going to become a licensed pharmacist, you would essentially be front loaded to graduate ROTC with a slot as a military pharmacist. You'll get great benefits and a compensation package as well as tax free income for housing on top of your basic income allowance starting out as an O3 officer. Plus, the benefit of the GI Bill remains in tact for yours to keep.

Your other option is looking into HPSP (Health Profession Scholarship Program) put on by some of the branches for pharmacy school. For example, Air Force offers a two or one year period scholarship that pays for your education for a minimum service obligation of three years:

U.S. Air Force

Another example is HSCP (Health Services Collegiate Program) that Navy does for pharmacy students that is put out by some universities: Heres one from University of Kansas but applies to any program institute:

http://wichita.kumc.edu/Documents/wichita/asa/Navy HSCP Program.pdf

Last option, is apply to your branch of choice after attaining your License. it is very competitive, but worth looking into. You'll need to talk with an AMEDD recruiter (healthcare officer) to start documentation when the time comes. Army for example will pay 120k toward your student loans for a 3 year obligation OR a 30k lump sum in your account upon going to your first duty station. If you want specifics or pros and cons you can ask here or PM me. Financially speaking, service is the best way to go. Youll be ahead of your peers (such as myself) with leadership experience and a good start to your resume (especially if you opt into residency through the military with an additional service obligation).
Just saw this after I posted my reply. Thanks for the information! Incredibly helpful!!!

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the input. I am the original poster (and I’m a woman BTW Timbo! Lol ) I want to do everything I can to avoid having a HUGE loan. That terrifies me. I do not want to work retail, hoping for a hospital setting. The guard seems like a good option for me. Does anyone know how I actually go about joining the national guard or air national guard in this manner? I have no idea where to even start.

If you are specifically interested in National Guard, I would start with talking to an AMEDD recruiter. Google AMEDD recruiter locator and fill out information regarding healthcare slots and opportunities as well as requirements.

If you are specifically interested in National Guard, I would start with talking to an AMEDD recruiter. Google AMEDD recruiter locator and fill out information regarding healthcare slots and opportunities as well as requirements.
Thank you. I am open to ROTC. I just want to serve my country and get my PharmD at the same time! But how do I even go about joining? I mean, how do I literally sign up for ROTC? I am not familiar with where to even begin. I graduate in May with a Bachelor of Science from University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and I start pharmacy school in August. Do I join ROTC now? Or wait until pharmacy school starts? Doesn’t there have to be an ROTC program at my pharmacy school? (University of Illinois Chicago). Thanks again.

Thank you. I am open to ROTC. I just want to serve my country and get my PharmD at the same time! But how do I even go about joining? I mean, how do I literally sign up for ROTC? I am not familiar with where to even begin. I graduate in May with a Bachelor of Science from University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and I start pharmacy school in August. Do I join ROTC now? Or wait until pharmacy school starts? Doesn’t there have to be an ROTC program at my pharmacy school? (University of Illinois Chicago). Thanks again.
Talk to an Officer recruiter who knows the medical options....A phone call to your local recruiter will advise you....esp. about putting you on scholarship as a Pharm-D student.......report back to the forum pls.

Contact Us - Army ROTC

That’s the info for ROTC specific to the institute you’ll be attending. Small restrictions exist but they’ll be able to explain it. Additional info can be found here:

How to Join - Army ROTC

Really random idea, but Illinois does have a tuition waiver for anyone attending state schools after a year of service, it does say it applies to graduate school but do check with a recruiter for current details.

Talk to an Officer recruiter who knows the medical options....A phone call to your local recruiter will advise you....esp. about putting you on scholarship as a Pharm-D student.......report back to the forum pls.
I will definitely report back. I have reached out to an Army ROTC recruiter, a Navy Health Professions Collegiate Program Medical Recruiter, and an Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program recruiter. Waiting to hear back from all three. I am exploring all my options! My only concern, I was diagnosed with migrianes several years back. I was told that this might disqualify me. I do have them managed without medication, so I am hoping that is good enough. We will see....

I will definitely report back. I have reached out to an Army ROTC recruiter, a Navy Health Professions Collegiate Program Medical Recruiter, and an Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program recruiter. Waiting to hear back from all three. I am exploring all my options! My only concern, I was diagnosed with migrianes several years back. I was told that this might disqualify me. I do have them managed without medication, so I am hoping that is good enough. We will see....

Branch dependent, but if it’s been 12 consecutive months without needed medication and a doctors waiver (for being fit for duty) you should be ok. It comes down to how your medical record is worded.