Johns Hopkins Orthopaedics Research Fellowship (Summer 2021 for M1s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
The Johns Hopkins Orthopedic Surgery Department invites current M1s to apply for a funded 8-10 week clinical research fellowship during the summer of 2021.

Silberstein Pediatric Orthopaedics Research Fellowship

Preceptors: Paul D. Sponseller, MD, MBA; John E. Tis, MD; Ranjit A. Varghese, MD; R. Jay Lee, MD

The Silberstein Pediatric Orthopaedics Research Fellowship’s goal is to provide research experience, clinical exposure, and mentorship to first year medical students interested in orthopaedic surgery. The Silberstein Fellow will be involved in a variety of research projects in pediatric orthopaedic trauma, sports medicine, spine, hip and hand disorders, patient safety, healthcare quality and value, as well as medical economics. The Fellow acts as an integral member of the team and gains a unique amount of clinical exposure, in both clinic and the OR, and near-daily contact with world-renowned faculty.

The deadline for application is March 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm EST.

Please see the link below for more information and instructions on how to apply:

Silberstein Pediatric Orthopaedics Research Fellowship | Johns Hopkins Orthopaedics

Please contact [email protected] with any additional questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Although this would be an amazing opportunity. In the past 5 years you have only taken one student who was not affiliated with John Hopkins College of Medicine. I can’t understand why this fellowship would be promoted on SDN when historically John Hopkins preferentially takes its own students.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah a great opportunity but literally when I was gonna apply I saw this in their website. You need to have strong connections to get in is just one spot not worth the application

Reactions: 1 users
Application deadline is this Friday! To address the replies above, our review process weighs all applicants equally. The strongest applicants over the past few years have coincidentally been from Hopkins.

• Haha
Application deadline is this Friday! To address the replies above, our review process weighs all applicants equally. The strongest applicants over the past few years have coincidentally been from Hopkins.
And if you believe that, there’s a nice plot of land in the Everglades that I’d like to show you...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
And if you believe that, there’s a nice plot of land in the Everglades that I’d like to show you...
I know nothing about this summer opportunity, but to be fair, why would they post on SDN if they’re looking to just take a Hopkins grad? Maybe they’re trying to nationally recruit and SDN's one way to get the word out?

If you’re interested and already applying for these sorts of deals, how much trouble is it to throw in an app?

Last edited:
I know nothing about this summer opportunity, but to be fair, why would they post on SDN if they’re looking to just take a Hopkins grad? Maybe they’re trying to nationally recruit and SDN's one way to get the word out?

If you’re interested and already applying for these sorts of deals, how much trouble is it to throw in an app?

So they can increase their rejection rate. Every app counts. Must be nearly 100% by now

So they can increase their rejection rate. Every app counts. Must be nearly 100% by now
And to build up the prestige of their fellowship by stating they received X00 applications for one position...
When in reality no one outside of Hopkins has a real shot

Reactions: 3 users
And to build up the prestige of their fellowship by stating they received X00 applications for one position...

Perhaps that's the most likely scenario. I always roll my eyes at how during interviews adcoms/PDs talk about how they had X number of applicants for Y spots as if it's the bottom line for them (especially during COVID-19 times). That said, one could also make an argument that accepting students from Cornell, WashU, etc. is an equally appealing motive. My bigger problem with these types of programs (again haven't looked at this deeply) is how they're more geared towards someone with already plentiful experience/connections as opposed to someone with little experience who has shown potential who they can truly bring up.

Perhaps that's the most likely scenario. I always roll my eyes at how during interviews adcoms/PDs talk about how they had X number of applicants for Y spots as if it's the bottom line for them (especially during COVID-19 times). That said, one could also make an argument that accepting students from Cornell, WashU, etc. is an equally appealing motive. My bigger problem with these types of programs (again haven't looked at this deeply) is how they're more geared towards someone with already plentiful experience/connections as opposed to someone with little experience who has shown potential who they can truly bring up.

Yeah. The rich get richer, man. It's a story as old as my admins

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps that's the most likely scenario. I always roll my eyes at how during interviews adcoms/PDs talk about how they had X number of applicants for Y spots as if it's the bottom line for them (especially during COVID-19 times).
At my school there are several departments (Including ortho) that offer summer internships like this, but they accept applications only from currently enrolled students and state that is the case. Even then they often get 25-50 applications for one position.

bro even you had to be grinning when you wrote this

• Haha
This is like those girls that are bored so they give guys that don't have a chance the time of day only to reject them and then turn around and brag to her friends about how many guys she's turned down

you all must have seen same scenario for UG and medical school admissions, schools love to tout their acceptance rates.