Johns Hopkins and AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

convexmirror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew if Hopkins is willing to consider other science-based courses to compensate for AP credit in chemistry other than upper level chem with lab. I know other elite medical schools are willing to consider other courses, but on the Hopkins website, they say that "Applicants who were exempted from introductory chemistry by advanced placement credit must take one additional semester of advanced college chemistry with lab." If anyone knows the email for the admissions office, that would be great too--all I can find is the phone number.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's any way around it. They want to see how you do in a college level chemistry course. Biochemistry counts as biology and organic chemistry is what it is. It's sort of an unfortunate situation to be in if you don't really like chemistry/its not remotely related to your major. It's nice that it's only one semester though.

Hopkins has a lot of qualified applicants, so unless you're a superstar in some way, they don't really need to make exceptions for people.

sorry to shoot you down, if you're really against taking a chem course I would still contact them. Phone is probably better anyway, you can get a faster response.

Hmm... anyone know anything about if I just used my AP for the first semester lecture and took the second semester lecture and lab? So I only used 3 AP credits and took the other 5... I've taken other advanced chem stuff, but no lab... but I did take the GChem Lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should definitely take another upper class elective. I went to a school where we only take one semester of gen chem by default. I applied after graduating, and was accepted to Hopkins, but they wanted me to take another semester of chem before matriculating! Luckily, I got them to waive the requirement after explaining the situation, but I wouldn't count on that.

I guess the issue for me is the "and lab" requirement. I have taken upper-level physical chemistry, but that doesn't come with a lab. At my school, the upper level chem labs are almost exclusively taken by chem and biochem majors, neither of which I am. Being an biological science Honors student, I do have significant non-chem lab experience, however...

moonspun, when you asked them to waive the requirement, were they receptive or resistant to your request (I guess it's a little different since you had already been accepted at that point)?

you should definitely take another upper class elective. I went to a school where we only take one semester of gen chem by default. I applied after graduating, and was accepted to Hopkins, but they wanted me to take another semester of chem before matriculating! Luckily, I got them to waive the requirement after explaining the situation, but I wouldn't count on that.

I've taken analytical chem, but it was only 2 credit hours. But if they have a problem with it, they'll tell me? and not just flat out reject me for not planning to take another??

I'm a bit worried about this too (for both Johns Hopkins as well applying in general). At my school we have a default of one semester of gen chem... a year of ochem, and then a semester of biochem to count as the 4th semester... the problem is that the semester of biochem does not come with a lab... so I only have 3 semesters of lab. I hope that doesn't screw with things too much.

I've taken analytical chem, but it was only 2 credit hours. But if they have a problem with it, they'll tell me? and not just flat out reject me for not planning to take another??

They interview people without checking if the requirements are fullifilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.