john81: HELP ME PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU FOR THIS WONDERFUL SITE.#1 PREMED SITE I'VE EVER SEEN.
I AM 26 YEARS OLD, MARRIED WITH A CHILD ON THE WAY. I LIVE IN THE SILCON VALLEY WHERE RENT IS VERY HIGH. MY FAMILY DEPENDS ON MY INCOME. MY DESIRE TO BECOME A DOCTOR IS VERY HIGH,BUT HAVING TO WORK DURING THE DAY AND ATTEND SCHOOL AT NIGHT HAS HURT MY GPA.

MY QUESTION IS, WHAT IF ANYTHING CAN I DO TO INCREASE MY GRADES AND CHANCE OF GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL.

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Hi John and thanks for the complement and post.
Sounds like a tough situation!

Can you please tell me what your occupation is. Does your wife work? Can she? How long per night do you have set aside just to study? How many credit hours are you taking?

If you answer these I might be able to give you some better answers. The more details, the better. Post it here and I'll take whatever time necessary to give you a good, honest, informed answer!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

from john81:
Thank you Dr. Henderson for the quick response.
Here are the answers to your questions:
1.My occupation is a Purchasing agent
2.My wife works full time with low pay
3.I am taking 9 semester units
4.I have about 1-2 hours of study time each night not including weekends.
We also have to contend with child care if my wife continues to work full time.

Thanks again.

There is no easy answer.
The demands sound enourmous. Before you make any decision make sure your wife is in full agreement. Medical school can tear a family up real fast if everone is not on the same page.

I think before anything else, you need to make sure those grades are competative. You may want to make those 1-2 hours absolutely distraction free... either outside the house or in separate room with no noise, no phone calls, and no interruptions.

What are you current grades? Do you have any resources on which to draw upon if you drop everything to go to medical school... it is really a huge decision that will require a ton of planning and organization!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net