Jobs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Finally in my last year of pediatrics residency and excited to have that first real job! Not going to be applying for fellowship. I'm looking for gen peds hospitalist or urgent care, but would also be happy with outpatient clinic. I've been reading some older posts on here from soon-to-be-grads in the job search and feel I may be a bit late to the game?

I'm waiting on my husband to finalize his job opportunity in 1 of 2 states (midwest or mid-atlantic), so I have not started applying yet for jobs. Am I too late? I was planning to start distributing my resume in January. I've been looking at postings on practice link and practice match as well as google search engine and afraid there are scant postings at the moment. :( Is this due to COVID or will jobs be posted later?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends graduated from residency the same year her fiance graduated from med school. She waited until he matched before searching for jobs around the location he matched. I think she was delayed in starting as a result--wasn't able to start until like October or something, but it happens.

You'll face more challenges if you require a visa, but if you don't, you have some more wiggle room.

That said, COVID has made things infinitely more challenging (a lot of places aren't hiring due to financial constraints), so it's worth looking at positions in both places your husband is looking starting now. If he finalizes his choice in one place, you can contact those in the other place and let them know that you're pursuing opportunities elsewhere.

Also make sure you take advantage of the network you have from your residency. I spoke with a recent graduate from a highly regarded peds residency (I think she might have even been a chief), but she'd gotten a late start (~Feb/Mar) looking for jobs and then COVID hiring freezes happened. She finished residency without a job, which was terrifying, but her PD etc. reached out on her behalf and helped connect her to the position she's in now. This is a large residency program, but the actions of the administration in advocating for one of their own spoke volumes to me as a peds applicant.