jobs in underserved regions of US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know of any resources to find physician opportunities in underserved areas of the US, particularly in the inner city. I'd also welcome suggestions of how to go about practicing in the inner city. Any specific recommendations to obtain during residency training? I'd appreciate your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you in your training? Are you dedicated to urban practice? Are sure you want to practice in the US? Do you have any specific areas of interest? There are tons of resources depending on what you are looking for.

I'm in my second year of residency. I am also interested in international health and would like to work abroad but initially I think I will look for something in urban practice in the US. I am interested in working with adolescent healthcare, in prevention of STD's and teenage pregnancy and drug and alcohol abuse, and also HIV/Hep.C/Homeless populations. I did a rotation as a med. student in the Bronx/Harlem, which I think is similar to what I'd like to do. I just don't know where I would find job opportunities online. I guess I could call the place where I did the rotation. Any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Sarnia Ontario (Canada) and we have 3 satellite locations with a Community Health Centre that treats the exact type of patient you are talking about. They offer salaried positions with benefits and paid time off. It's not difficult to get a permit to work and practice in Canada and recruiters like me are here to help. Over head would be covered, staff is already there, you simply walk in every day during normal business hours and practice. No advertising for patients, low housing costs and and all in an excellent family city location. We're a border city and Im just here to plant the seed in your mind..if you have anyquestions...

I live in Sarnia Ontario (Canada) and we have 3 satellite locations with a Community Health Centre that treats the exact type of patient you are talking about. They offer salaried positions with benefits and paid time off. It's not difficult to get a permit to work and practice in Canada and recruiters like me are here to help. Over head would be covered, staff is already there, you simply walk in every day during normal business hours and practice. No advertising for patients, low housing costs and and all in an excellent family city location. We're a border city and Im just here to plant the seed in your mind..if you have anyquestions...

I PM'ed (Private Message 'ed) you.

I'd like to know of any resources to find physician opportunities in underserved areas of the US, particularly in the inner city. I'd also welcome suggestions of how to go about practicing in the inner city. Any specific recommendations to obtain during residency training? I'd appreciate your response.

This should have pretty much what you are looking for. It is the National Health Service Corps Job listings for Health Provider Shortage Areas. These are all clinics looking for physicians. The site usually has a nice search function but it has been down lately and replaced by the more difficult to manage excel file.

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/