Job Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm set to graduate from my HPM fellowship in June and have been in the thick of the job search since end of December. I've done a few interviews and have more upcoming but have yet to receive a job offer. I was wondering what the timeline usually is between the final interview (site visit) and an offer?

I always assumed that if the job wants you you'll get an offer immediately after the interview. If my interview was 3 weeks ago and still no offer, should I just give up on the job and assume they found someone else? I've been in contact after and have received vague responses that they're still finishing interviews but are still interested in me as a candidate.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm set to graduate from my HPM fellowship in June and have been in the thick of the job search since end of December. I've done a few interviews and have more upcoming but have yet to receive a job offer. I was wondering what the timeline usually is between the final interview (site visit) and an offer?

I always assumed that if the job wants you you'll get an offer immediately after the interview. If my interview was 3 weeks ago and still no offer, should I just give up on the job and assume they found someone else? I've been in contact after and have received vague responses that they're still finishing interviews but are still interested in me as a candidate.

Thanks for posting. It depends...

For the job you have in mind, what is the setting? University? Community? Government?

Thanks for posting. It depends...

For the job you have in mind, what is the setting? University? Community? Government?
It's a large community hospital but has academic affiliation with in house residents, fellows etc

The other is a home hospice agency

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a large community hospital but has academic affiliation with in house residents, fellows etc

The other is a home hospice agency

In my experience via myself and colleagues, we have heard back anywhere from the next day to a couple weeks. It is possible that this hospital set a batch of interviews, which might have included travel accommodations for other applicants that were scheduled to interview after you. It would be poor form on their part to cancel their interview/trip... this is all hypothetical and meant to show there are other explanations besides "they already picked someone else".

That said, I would keep applying to any other jobs that appeal to you at present.

I’d also say it varies quite widely, anywhere from a few days to 1-2 months after the final interview. Departments in less desirable locations that are looking to hire quickly tend to decide fast, while programs in competitive locations who have flexible start dates may take their time. There’s also (anecdotally) quite a bit of “ghosting” as programs are deciding between candidates, which can be very nerve-wracking.

I wouldn’t give up after any particular time frame, but I certainly would continue applying to other jobs that interest you until you have an offer from a place you’re willing to go.

every day they don't call you is a risk for them... a real risk that you will find a better position before they make up their mind

aggressively pursue more options