Job searching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grahamswan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm starting to look for jobs, and would like some opinions from people about job quality vs. commute time. I'm finding a lot of listings that I'm interested in at clinics an hour away from me or more (moving isn't an option for me). How long are most people's commutes? I don't want to burn myself out right out of school, but I also don't want to take a lesser job just to be closer.

Opinions? Experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I think job quality would be more of a priority for myself. If you have kids/spouse and other obligations, then that would certainly affect your decision. I currently commute 5-10 minutes. I used to commute an hour each way and it wasn't too bad. Throw on some music or e-books and it can even be therapeutic. I'm single and don't have many obligations. I get off sometimes at 6:30pm, and if I had to commute, I certainly would miss a lot of events that I would otherwise attend like theatre/orchestra productions, etc.

It kind of depends on the commute. Are we talking spending an hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic, or driving leisurely down a pretty highway enjoying the scenery? As the other person said, a commute can actually help you unwind if you put on some music or a book, but I personally hate being gridlocked in traffic. I'd get home tense and with a headache every day, so you'd have to pay me quite a bit to convince me to subject myself to it every day. Remember also to factor in the cost of gas. An extra 20 miles each way is an extra 200 miles a week. Assuming you work 49 weeks a year (3 weeks vacation) and have a car that gets 30 mpg, that's an extra $686 a year. That's only about $58 a month, but that's enough for a pretty nice dinner somewhere with your honey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Google "Commute time and Happiness" Lots of research out there that commuting is pretty awful for social life, life satisfaction, and physical health. Of course, having a job you don't like that much is also bad for most/all of those things. Any way you can find something closer that meets your needs job-quality wise?

I like the commute, as long as it's not bumper to bumper traffic as others have mentioned. Great wind down time with music. I travel ~40 minutes average each way.